Performance question; 1999 Cobra

excell

Hey guys, I have a friend who posed this question to me and I don't have an answer. Can you help?

"I got a buddy with a '99 Cobra, looking for more power. It's completely stock now. He's looking for a well engineered complete package. It's got the 4.6 DOHC engine. Does somebody make a high quality ready to go Whipple kit for them? "

Thanks in advance. :)

KB is a bad idea for a bolt on. The reason being the kit for a 99 is 6K. With stock bottom end that will only get him to around 420-450 rwhp. The blower KB includes is a 2.1.

The KB kit does not really address fuel for that car either if you want to make any sort of power.

For the same amount of money he will spend on a KB kit he can buy a vortech blower and spend the rest on wheels, suspension, etc.

This guy.... isn't concerned about money. :) Only quality. :)

But a good idea Greg, I’ll look up the info on the Vortech and e-mail that to him as well.

if that is the case use all ford oem stuff. Convert his car over to a ported eaton. That will supply more power than his stock shortblock can handle. And you will have all the comforts of oem.

if that is the case use all ford oem stuff. Convert his car over to a ported eaton. That will supply more power than his stock shortblock can handle. And you will have all the comforts of oem.

Why would you ever want to do that to a 99/01 car?

I would recommend him to get a basic Vortec or Turbo kit and keep the boost low. He's going to have to build the motor for anything past around 450rwhp on the 99 motor anyway so no need for a big KB or something when he can't run high boost with.

Not to mention if he wants to make serious power down the road, he'll already have the stock intake he needs on the 99 instead of having to switch twice if he goes with a ROOTS type blower now.

Let him know the 99/01 IRS won't hold anything for power and he will be snapping axles left and right unless he converts to a 03/04 style or puts a solid axle in it.

I would stay away from a OEM Eaton blower. If cost was a factor and he wanted to go cheap, I would go that route but.....since you said money isn't an issue I would just get him what he wants now to build upon down the road.

If it was me: Solid axle rear w/4:10's, Vortec, exhaust, 9" wheels/tires and then see what his needs are after that.... ;)

My opinion would be just to transplant an 03-04 cobra block and a t-56 into it. Steggy stage 4 port, 4 lb lower, 2.8 upper, 100 shot. He'll be making well into the 600whp 700 wtq range. It would be a relatively "easy" job, and if he searched to forums enough he would find "instructions" on how to do it. He can pick that stuff up pretty cheap usually.

edit: He can also sell everything not used anymore on his car and end up not spending much at all for the power he'll be making.

Why would you ever want to do that to a 99/01 car?

I would recommend him to get a basic Vortec or Turbo kit and keep the boost low. He's going to have to build the motor for anything past around 450rwhp on the 99 motor anyway so no need for a big KB or something when he can't run high boost with.

Not to mention if he wants to make serious power down the road, he'll already have the stock intake he needs on the 99 instead of having to switch twice if he goes with a ROOTS type blower now.

Let him know the 99/01 IRS won't hold anything for power and he will be snapping axles left and right unless he converts to a 03/04 style or puts a solid axle in it.

Also money is always a concern, it is just what what level does it become one.

I would stay away from a OEM Eaton blower. If cost was a factor and he wanted to go cheap, I would go that route but.....since you said money isn't an issue I would just get him what he wants now to build upon down the road.

If it was me: Solid axle rear w/4:10's, Vortec, exhaust, 9" wheels/tires and then see what his needs are after that.... ;)

I agree 100% on the axle and vortech. But if reliablity was more important that all else nothing will beat the eaton set up. Also with 450 rwhp the 99 irs will handle that without any issues.

So for right now if ease is what he wants a vortech blower will work fine. If realiabilty is what he wants I say oem eaton. If power is what he wants turbo is the path.

Money is always a concern, it is just at what point does it become an issue.

I lucked out and found a 1.7KB for $3200 with maf/fuel system. Sees almost 11lbs with the big tube and it put down 425/410. Car feels great, no lag, and it drives civilized if i choose to drive easy. Modularfords/Corral/Stangnet all have classifieds with power adders for sale. I think I lucked out with what I got and would probably have gone procharger P1SC or vortech s-trim had I waited a couple more weeks for moneys sake. I raced the green 99KOBRA with a NOVI 2000 a couple weeks ago and was right next to him at 120.

I would almost always pick a twin screw over a centrifugal, but that's me. If he decides to transplant the drivetrain from and 03-04 I happen to know someone selling an already pullied eaton :)

I lucked out and found a 1.7KB for $3200 with maf/fuel system. Sees almost 11lbs with the big tube and it put down 425/410. Car feels great, no lag, and it drives civilized if i choose to drive easy. Modularfords/Corral/Stangnet all have classifieds with power adders for sale. I think I lucked out with what I got and would probably have gone procharger P1SC or vortech s-trim had I waited a couple more weeks for moneys sake. I raced the green 99KOBRA with a NOVI 2000 a couple weeks ago and was right next to him at 120.

how are you comparing what is available for your 2v with a 4v? The PD blower set up isn't even the same blower, not to mention that the KB kits for the 2vs are pretty common and a KB on a 99-01 is not.

I would almost always pick a twin screw over a centrifugal, but that's me. If he decides to transplant the drivetrain from and 03-04 I happen to know someone selling an already pullied eaton :)

to convert a 99-01 cobra to the eaton you need the following.

blower

lower intake

front engine cover

alux pulley bracket(the big one on the top)

new lower pulley and dampner bolt

03 alternator

belt tensioner

Alternator bracket

coolant cross over

heat exchanger including pump, lines, reservoir, the inner core and outter core

set of vacuum lines

if you have a 96-98 you need to upgrade to the new 99+ tumble port heads as well.

the blower is most likely one of the cheaper items on that list.

I believe the 99/01 heads are different than the 03/04 also. The intake may work but I don't know if it's an exact match for better power.

It's a lot of work to convert a 99/01 car over to a Eaton/ROOTS setup. It would be A LOT easier for him to just stick with a Vortec or something that is a quick bolt-on compared to swapping intakes, alternate, engine cover, etc..etc....

I still think he needs to setup the rear end before he adds more power. Unless he plans to Auto-X or do highway races the IRS will pop..... :(

I believe the 99/01 heads are different than the 03/04 also. The intake may work but I don't know if it's an exact match for better power.

It's a lot of work to convert a 99/01 car over to a Eaton/ROOTS setup. It would be A LOT easier for him to just stick with a Vortec or something that is a quick bolt-on compared to swapping intakes, alternate, engine cover, etc..etc....

I still think he needs to setup the rear end before he adds more power. Unless he plans to Auto-X or do highway races the IRS will pop..... :(

bob cosy ran 3 season on his 99 irs drag racing into the 11's before he broke an axle.

as far the heads. The entry port is the exact same so the intake matches right up. The short turn radius is revised in the 03 head to offer a better transition. The exhaust port varies but the largest different is the size of the exhaust port being larger and shapped like a box rather than oval in the 99-01 head and oval in the fr500 heads. The combustion chamber both have 52 cc head volumes. Some of the early 03 castings had 4 spark plug threads rather than the 8 in the earlier heads but vary few have sent a plug through the coil covers. Ford the revised the water entry and spark plug thread issued in late 04 and have used that lastest casting in heads that develop the tick from worn guides from over heating.

I am very familer with what each invovles.

Are you sure about Bob running three seasons with the IRS? I thought it was less than that before he switched to the solid axle and that's when he started breaking the factory stock records going 11's N/A with a stock motor. He also wasn't running a stock IRS. He had the Pauls brace and a few other things to make the car work before on the 1/4-mile and not hop. Besides with slicks or some good drag radials the hop is almost non-existent on a well prepped drag strip like he was racing on. It will be a different world on the street....

I couldn't remember exactly what was different on the motor because it's been years since I have really been into the Mustang scene but I remember tid bits. I knew the heads were different but couldn't remember what it was. I know they also run different cams from the 99/01 cars.

When i had my 99 Cobra.. I was thinking about the swap.. but after talking to a guy who had done the swap, he said after he finished it, it really wasn't worth it.. and thats when I sold mine and got my 03..

I'd go onto svtperformance.com and read up on it.. theres a lot of info on it..