Test drove a Legacy 2.5 GT Limited

Nitrousbird

My g/f is looking for a new car, this was one of the lower-end cars in her list to look at. She has to have an auto, so no Spec B

- Can't get Navigation unless it is a Spec B. That's so freaking lame. A lot of people can only drive autos, and still would like Navigation.

- I can't imagine a worse place to put the switches for the heated seats. You have to literally reach to the back of the center console to get to them.

- That I-drive thing is pretty lame. The dealer was going ape-shit over it; then I looked into it, and realized it just changed the boost map slightly.

- Pretty rough/stiff ride for a car that I was under the impression was supposed to be their more luxury model of car.

- More squeaks/rattles than I expected in a brand spanking new car.

- Felt kind of cramped for me (I'm 6'3").

Power wise, we had the fat-ass dealer and his big trainee in the back, plus me and my small g/f (who was driving), so hard to get a feel for that. Seemed to have some power, didn't really get to test the handling out too much. I will say my g/f seemed more comfortable (aka would drive faster/corner harder) in the CTS she drove after this car, which surprised me.

Overall, I've heard all these people going ga-ga over this car, and IMO it wasn't all that impressive for a 32k car. For that money, the GTO at the dealer next door is a much better buy (they were closed, otherwise she would have taken that out for a spin).

the reason people are going ga ga over the legacy gt is because the people that are driving it are not women, aka mostly not getting autos, mostly are more willing to push the car's limits, etc.

i don't know what you're talking about feeling cramped...i'm 6'3" 240 and i fit just fine...i will give you that its not the most comfortable car ever, but hey...its more of a sports car.

Why am I the import hater because I didn't like the Legacy? It for sure doesn't ride like a luxury car (rode in a CTS right after words, it rode WAY better, even w/ the sport package, and didn't have all the rattles either). I'm just not a fan of the whole G35 look, but she will be looking at one. I want her to look at the new Lexus IS series as well, but I doubt she will get one just because everyone she works with has a Lexus.

I'm still a fan of the BMW. I like Shawn's Audi too, and she will be looking at one as well (though she knows to get a lease only w/ that, so she never owns it out of warranty).

The legacy is a very nice car. Joe, there is no hope in this you and import thing.

Where do you guys the idea that Joe hates imports? He's not a fan of Honda/Toyota, but as he said, he likes plenty of other imports. I'm the same way... :nod:

wow....sounds like you had a very bad experience. I loved it and came close to getting one but Subi has horrible lease support and incentive programs. even with my supplier discount and a buddy at Byers, the deal sucked.

I was coming out of my Accord that was about a nice as you get inside for the money....cost less than the subi too.

Outside:

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/29307733.jpg

Inside:

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/51245765.jpg

However, my end thoughts were that the subi was:

Very nice looking...get low profile tires, but prepare to replace the stock rubber come winter as they suck in snow.

Slightly smaller inside than the Accord, but as nice quality wise. Didn't look at the Navi system as nothing will beat Honda's IBM/Microsoft unit...Acura is the same of course.

Performance wise, auto's run mid 14's sticks will hit very low 14's stock.

Great aftermarket support...which was a huge plus of course...nothing really for my Accord.

AWD is well...great as I do a lot of snow driving.

In the end, like you, I considered a GTO, but the GXP offers a lot more creature features, four doors and with my two kids...a must...and among the creature features, it's FWD for the wife, has Stabilitrak and while not as fast as the GTO, pulls 13.8's for me consistantly.....and that's stock.

What really swung me was the sound and feel of a V8 :D

I like Shawn's Audi too, and she will be looking at one as well (though she knows to get a lease only w/ that, so she never owns it out of warranty).

Awww..and you didn't even get to drive it.

But most definately do not own one out of warranty. The Audi Certified Pre Owned program is top notch FYI. It warrants the car up to 100,000 miles and is highly respected. If you can find one that is just barely under the factory warranty still your gold. My factory warranty ends @ 50K then CPO picks it up until 100k. Can't beat that.

Drove one Wednesday. I liked it a lot. No rattles, and I didn't have fat people weighing me down. Engine was really nice and power out the ass. Handling was pretty good, although it had a little too much roll and the seats were kinda flat.

I do agree with the G35. Those are awesome cars.

Just noticed the Lexus coment

I would seriously check out the Lexus IS either a 250 AWD or for more fun the 350.

No rattles, more reliable, more reliable, more reliable, better interior ergonomics, much better looking (IMO)

Just my .02

never met someone who bought a Lexus and didnt like it, for what its worth...

which is why so many people own them and I work on them ;)

Drive a stage II 5 speed and tell me it sucks. :) (Up-pipe & a programmer)

I also agree the I-drive is lame. Skip it. I'd buy a used '05. Mine is mint and KBB is $18k now.

I agree about the cramped comment. I'm 6'3" and I can't understand why they didn't allow the front seats to travel all the way back to the rears like bimmers. Now that would make me happy.

However I was able to drive it 17 hours in one day and that didn't kill me. :)

Just noticed the Lexus coment

I would seriously check out the Lexus IS either a 250 AWD or for more fun the 350.

No rattles, more reliable, more reliable, more reliable, better interior ergonomics, much better looking (IMO)

Just my .02

never met someone who bought a Lexus and didnt like it, for what its worth...

which is why so many people own them and I work on them ;)

+1 on the is250 awd Pearl white for the win! I will most likely be buying a Loaded certified used one of these in a year or two when I have more equity in my STI. I thinks a lexus has more quality and reliability than Mercedes and BMW, oh and fuck infinity, G35s are small, and just for N2O Joe, I'm not buying a caddy or any other american shitbox so when I drive it off the lot I lose 50% of the value of the car. I don't really care about the power anymore, I will be buying a 1300r or a zx-14 for that.....

I am the anti-Nitrousbird....

+1 on the is250 awd Pearl white for the win! I will most likely be buying a Loaded certified used one of these in a year or two when I have more equity in my STI. I thinks a lexus has more quality and reliability than Mercedes and BMW, oh and fuck infinity, G35s are small, and just for N2O Joe, I'm not buying a caddy or any other american shitbox so when I drive it off the lot I lose 50% of the value of the car. I don't really care about the power anymore, I will be buying a 1300r or a zx-14 for that.....

I am the anti-Nitrousbird....

Waaahhh, sorry I don't like your factory rice. :) Hell, I've driven F-body's and Mustangs with less rattles than that brand spanking new Legacy.......

Of course you are talking out your ass; if you look at the resale on CTS's vs what they are costing OFF THE LOT, they aren't losing any more value than the competition (not MSRP vs. resale, as GM offers more incentives new than most imports, and people aren't paying as close to MSRP on these cars as they do on the imports). Actually, if Caddy offered an AWD version of the CTS, that would be probably #1 on her list, as she really wants an AWD car.

It's too bad Lexus only offers AWD on the small motor IS. :(

My g/f is looking for a new car, this was one of the lower-end cars in her list to look at. She has to have an auto, so no Spec B

- Can't get Navigation unless it is a Spec B. That's so freaking lame. A lot of people can only drive autos, and still would like Navigation.

- I can't imagine a worse place to put the switches for the heated seats. You have to literally reach to the back of the center console to get to them.

- That I-drive thing is pretty lame. The dealer was going ape-shit over it; then I looked into it, and realized it just changed the boost map slightly.

- Pretty rough/stiff ride for a car that I was under the impression was supposed to be their more luxury model of car.

- More squeaks/rattles than I expected in a brand spanking new car.

- Felt kind of cramped for me (I'm 6'3").

Power wise, we had the fat-ass dealer and his big trainee in the back, plus me and my small g/f (who was driving), so hard to get a feel for that. Seemed to have some power, didn't really get to test the handling out too much. I will say my g/f seemed more comfortable (aka would drive faster/corner harder) in the CTS she drove after this car, which surprised me.

Overall, I've heard all these people going ga-ga over this car, and IMO it wasn't all that impressive for a 32k car. For that money, the GTO at the dealer next door is a much better buy (they were closed, otherwise she would have taken that out for a spin).

In the 2006 model year, you can get nav in regular GT w/ auto (which is exactly what I have). My heated seat controls are about where the i-drive is in the 2007. Speaking of i-drive, I had a similarly excited sales manager talking it up... I assumed it was less totally awesome than he claimed, but I never really looked into it (it's new for 2007, and I wanted a deal on a 2006). My dad also thinks it's cramped, even though he's not all that tall... no one else has complained yet, and my impression is pretty middle-of-the-road. My experiences with rattles and stiffness are about the opposite. Or, maybe I was just used to the Mustang ;) Seriously though, I haven't had any issues so far with rattles/squeaks (3k miles), and if anything I thought the damping was a little on soft side. Although, I'm not really judging that on a luxury car scale, so you probably have a point :)

Coolest car ever? Of course not. It has it's place though, and for what I needed and was able to spend I am happy with it. Now, if I could have afforded a TL or the like... who knows.