Anyone have bad Sirius reception lately?

Billiumss

Ever since last Thursday or so myself along with 4 other people I work with haven't been able to get a good Sirius TER or SAT signal at all, inside or outside of work.

Anyone know why? I can barely get signal outside at my house. I use to get full signal all the time.

Bill

I use mine all over town every day, no difference in signal at all.

I noticed last week the local repeater was having an issue in Reynoldsburg (I leave my home kit's antenna inside, and rely on the repeater). But Sat. wise I haven't noticed any issue at all. That's both in my work truck and my Avalanche (and my Avalanche's antenna isn't even mounted outside the truck).

I use mine all over town every day, no difference in signal at all.

I noticed last week the local repeater was having an issue in Reynoldsburg (I leave my home kit's antenna inside, and rely on the repeater). But Sat. wise I haven't noticed any issue at all. That's both in my work truck and my Avalanche (and my Avalanche's antenna isn't even mounted outside the truck).

What is a repeater?

What is a repeater?

Basicaly it is a terrestrial re-broadcast of the Sat. signal. In case you are in a spot covered w/ large buildings, lots of overhead coverage, etc. it will use that instead of the Sat. signal. There is one in Reynoldsburg; I'm GUESSING it is mounted on the cell tower on Main St.

It might be related to recent accusations that satellite radio providers (XM in particular) are using terrestrial repeaters that violate FCC output regs, are completely unlicensed, and a multitude of other things. I wouldn't be surprised if they are toning it down until this blows over. Here is a link to more info:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2006/tc20061030_011865.htm?campaign_id=bier_tcv.g3a.rss1030l

I have the deck that lets me plug the sirius box right into the back of the deck. I can't see what the signal strength is.

Another annoying thing.. and I'm not sure if it's the Sirius or the Deck in the car. 6 times out of 10 I'll go start my car, and it doesn't even load Sirius. I have to open up the glove box, unplug the main plug from the Sirius box and plug it back in. Then it works fine. Gets annoying after a while.

I believe it has something to do with it being the solar maximum this year. Lots of sunspot activity messes with the satellite signal, apparently.

The repeater in Reynoldsburg is actually located on top of the big gold bank building on Brice. I know one of the people who did some of the installation.