For any uninformed F-body owners

ImUrOBGYN

BS. 14 RWHP...whatever he is snorting must be good. The ring and pinion are only one weak link in a 7.5" 10-bolt. There is a reason I had a 12-bolt under my car before I even had headers.

Sadly, some people might be dupped into buying this, throw a bunch of money into the rear end, and still end up needing a 12-bolt/9"/Dana. You are better off just buying a new rear, and selling your good rear for $300.

BTW, if you add in the price of C-clip eliminators, upgraded axles, good posi, rear end cover, bearings, ring and pinion, you are approaching the price of a 12-bolt. So for anyone buying into this BS, don't...go buy an aftermarket rear and save yourself a boat load of headaches.

there is a write up about it in the new Car Craft, they tested it and picked up 6hp on the used gears they had in the car already. all its really doing is reducing friction so your not making more horse power your getting back what you already have.

Guest FooFooMaru
so they just coat the ring and pinion? I can't hear the vid so don't know exactly what they're doing. doesn't seem like it help out for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time track use.

You have to understand the finish on any metal, especially in more soild objects like gears, is where failure starts. If you can have a surface finish that is good past one-millionth of an inch, you can have much higher stress levels. Obviously a more fine finish will produce much less friciton, but it's much more beneficial in the stress arena.

The other thing is, although I'm sure there is a point you will need to upgrade axles for XXX amount of power, but stresses are much higher in gears due to point loading compared to axles, which have a much larger surface for loading. I'd be willing to bet that if you could get that process done for both the gears and axles, you wouldn't need to upgrade to a 12 bolt or 9".

Although I'm no material scientist, I have worked with a metallurgist and know a good amount on metal overloading/fatigue failure. So I think I have some credibility in this area, but hopefully someone else who know's more can chime in.

The other thing is, although I'm sure there is a point you will need to upgrade axles for XXX amount of power, but stresses are much higher in gears due to point loading compared to axles, which have a much larger surface for loading. I'd be willing to bet that if you could get that process done for both the gears and axles, you wouldn't need to upgrade to a 12 bolt or 9".

LOL. The 7.5" 10-bolt (not to be confused with the much better 8.5") has all sorts of weak points.

- C-clips

- Shitty 26-spline axles

- Ring and pinion

- Thin and small diameter axle tubes

- Small bearings and weak bearing caps

- Weak posi

Let's start adding up what it would cost to take care of some of this:

- $190 Motive Ring and Pinion package

- $123 Gear install kit (bearings, crush sleeves, and all the goodies you should replace)

- $538 Eaton Posi

- $130 Rear Support cover (to TRY to help w/ the weak case)

- $470 Moser Axles

- $150 C-Clip eliminators (I believe required by NHRA if running 11.99 or 10.99 or better. You shouldn't run w/ C-clips).

Let's add all that up. We are at $1601 and we haven't even paid to do the treatment on any of items, nor the cost of having someone setup your rear-end if you don't know how to do it.

I paid less than $2300 shipped for my Moser 12-bolt. And it is loaded with 33 spline axles, HD Eaton Posi, ABS, Cover, 1350 yoke, no C-clips. I could have bought a no-optioned 12-bolt for about $1800-1900 shipped, and that would STILL be stronger than a loaded up 7.5" 10-bolt.

Once you look at the numbers, it is freaking retarded to build-up a 7.5" 10-bolt. And yes, those stock axles are weak on those things.

LOL. The 7.5" 10-bolt (not to be confused with the much better 8.5") has all sorts of weak points.

- C-clips

- Shitty 26-spline axles

- Ring and pinion

- Thin and small diameter axle tubes

- Small bearings and weak bearing caps

- Weak posi

Let's start adding up what it would cost to take care of some of this:

- $190 Motive Ring and Pinion package

- $123 Gear install kit (bearings, crush sleeves, and all the goodies you should replace)

- $538 Eaton Posi

- $130 Rear Support cover (to TRY to help w/ the weak case)

- $470 Moser Axles

- $150 C-Clip eliminators (I believe required by NHRA if running 11.99 or 10.99 or better. You shouldn't run w/ C-clips).

Let's add all that up. We are at $1601 and we haven't even paid to do the treatment on any of items, nor the cost of having someone setup your rear-end if you don't know how to do it.

I paid less than $2300 shipped for my Moser 12-bolt. And it is loaded with 33 spline axles, HD Eaton Posi, ABS, Cover, 1350 yoke, no C-clips. I could have bought a no-optioned 12-bolt for about $1800-1900 shipped, and that would STILL be stronger than a loaded up 7.5" 10-bolt.

Once you look at the numbers, it is freaking retarded to build-up a 7.5" 10-bolt. And yes, those stock axles are weak on those things.

You make a good point as far as buildup, but what about just getting the ring and pinion done?

I'm not in the know for rear ends, but isn't the ring/pinion failure the most common failure mode? (my gut assumption) Joe, I figure you would have a good idea since you are a mod on CamaroZ28.com, what is the most common failure in the 10 bolt, 7.5" rear end?

I don't know, but lets say it is ring/pinion failure is the most common, someone who can't afford a 12 bolt/9" immediately but can afford this new Mikronite process might jump on this. I would for the limited amount of drag racing/hard launching that I do with the sub 500 hp level I will be at for a long time.

You make a good point as far as buildup, but what about just getting the ring and pinion done?

I'm not in the know for rear ends, but isn't the ring/pinion failure the most common failure mode? (my gut assumption) Joe, I figure you would have a good idea since you are a mod on CamaroZ28.com, what is the most common failure in the 10 bolt, 7.5" rear end?

I don't know, but lets say it is ring/pinion failure is the most common, someone who can't afford a 12 bolt/9" immediately but can afford this new Mikronite process might jump on this. I would for the limited amount of drag racing/hard launching that I do with the sub 500 hp level I will be at for a long time.

Sure, the Ring and Pinion fail 1st. Beef that up, and if that doesn't break, the next in line will (axle or posi most likely).

I just HATE seeing people dump money into these 10-bolts. Leave them stock, and save money for something worth while.

There are SSSOOO many options for F-body's right now for 100% BOLT-IN setups, it isn't even funny. 12-bolts, 9", Dana 60, convereted 8.8". And a number of makers for each as well; tons of options, and options covering a wide variety of price ranges.