where to go to get a sub box

Guest Carvedbiscuit

Guest Carvedbiscuit

Does anybody know where I could go to get a custom sub box made?

I put a pair of subs in my car over the summer and would really like to replace my crappy plywood boxes that I made myself.

Also I need to hide the cords and have the amp tastefully hidden away or mounted somewhere.

Ya homie, listen hurr mang. Youz beez wantin ta bump out dat Prius? Fo sho.

Hit up da boyz at Wezt Coazt Kustomz mang, theyll send X to da Z Xzibit out to ya crib and theyll hook it up real phat and tidy y0.

Wordz.

This is why I don't talk about stereo stuff...

The lumber yard. Those things are very simple to make.

Simple as long as you are building a sealed unit. Many variables need to be considered. Not every sub is intended for a sealed enclosure. Not every sub is to be ported. Choosing the type enclosure, sealed, ported, bandpass, dual reflex isobaric ect. will depend on the application and the goals of the system.

Porting a box is much more complicated that just sticking a piece of PVC pipe in the side. The spec's of the driver will determine the port volume from that you can calculate length and diameter.

I can help with designing the box, but don't have time to build it. I would suggest the book "The loud speaker design cookbook". If you can get a copy of the old Alpine Gait manual this is a great resource!

Ah, thank goodness.

Did you shoot the Prius with a .50 cal...Top Gear style?

As soon as I posted that I laughed coz he had a Prius... Glad you got rid of that thing!

Welcome to the tC world. I'm doing my stereo here shortly. There is a Stereo Limited in Canal Winchester that is pretty good. I think they sell Memphis and Alpine stuff. But I'm taking mine to Mobile Electronics ;)

Simple as long as you are building a sealed unit. Many variables need to be considered. Not every sub is intended for a sealed enclosure. Not every sub is to be ported. Choosing the type enclosure, sealed, ported, bandpass, dual reflex isobaric ect. will depend on the application and the goals of the system.

Porting a box is much more complicated that just sticking a piece of PVC pipe in the side. The spec's of the driver will determine the port volume from that you can calculate length and diameter.

I can help with designing the box, but don't have time to do it. I would suggest the book "The loud speaker design cookbook". If you can get a copy of the old Alpine Gait manual this is a great resource!

As long as you know the t/s parameters of the subs,and how much space you have to work with and the target internal volume they have programs that will do all the hard calculation work for you and will let you tune a port for any target frequency and even tell you the dimensions of each side and take in to account displacement if you know your exact speaker measurements.My type R's came with all that in the manual and most reputable speaker brands will too.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

Thats a pretty good freeware version.A weekend,that program and a trip to lowes for some mdf would have you set.I also heard the columbus car audio thing about them stealing their shit back so that would be a no no

As long as you know the t/s parameters of the subs,and how much space you have to work with and the target internal volume they have programs that will do all the hard calculation work for you and will let you tune a port for any target frequency and even tell you the dimensions of each side and take in to account displacement if you know your exact speaker measurements.My type R's came with all that in the manual and most reputable speaker brands will too.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

Thats a pretty good freeware version.A weekend,that program and a trip to lowes for some mdf would have you set.I also heard the columbus car audio thing about them stealing their shit back so that would be a no no

I am old school...pencil and paper!

Ive dealt with mobile electronics...the dealership sold off my old car w/ my cd player, and they paid for M.E. to put in a new cd player...it was fine for a while, but i started seeing the faceplate dim out...they sent it back 3x and it would work for a week and start doing it again. they said after 3x they would replace it...i tried getting it replaced for 4 months and they just kept saying "ill call xxx" whoever their 'guy' was...they never did replace it, and i just got sick of dealing with them. its now a 3 year old headunit that sold for 270$ at the time. ill buy new if i get somethign else

Guest Carvedbiscuit

Ideally I would like a fiberglass box, but I have no idea how much those cost. Mainly what I want is someone who knows what they are doing to mount the amp some place and hide all the wires

Either way I still want to be able to get to the spare tire if I need to.

Ideally I would like a fiberglass box, but I have no idea how much those cost. Mainly what I want is someone who knows what they are doing to mount the amp some place and hide all the wires

Fiber glass will be very expensive to do due to the amount of time involved labor wise plus it will have to be painted.

You are looking at a $1000 or more sub box. The fiberglass is nice, but I would suggest using MDF to construct the box then covering it in a nice fabric like vinyl that looks like leather. Maybe use foam to make the Scion symbol. If you do that It will look factory and cost a lot less....

My .02

If what you mainly want is for someone to mount the amp and hide the wires you should do that yourself. Just find a place where the amp will look fine and mount it there. You may need a small hole to get the wires behind whatever you mounted it on. From there just start pulling up trim panels and run the wires wherever the hell you want.