Who am I?

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of a rookie question, but I wanna know. What does a "mini-tub" involve? I assume some cutting? Would you ever cut up your ride, Doc? Do they make a street tire that will handle that extra width?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Removed

John , I vote NO on that issue.lol

Hopefully it goes later then sooner. And once its all tuned and going good, start planning on those upgrades ahead of time , so your ahead of the game ;) or at least have some sort of game plan going to avoid that ooh so painfull down time.

video? :(

edit:damn this whole thread changed by the time i posted. edit:

doc was talking about his IRS

Guest Removed
Kind of a rookie question, but I wanna know. What does a "mini-tub" involve? I assume some cutting? Would you ever cut up your ride, Doc? Do they make a street tire that will handle that extra width?

Thanks in advance.

I got this one...here a artical one doing one on a fox body without cutting the frame rails. http://www.flemworld.com/hto/mtub.html

im still in the middle of the cutting out stages on mine now.

pm me if you need to know more about it ;)

Guest Removed
Thanks, Rob Still gotta cut the wheel wells though, right? Just wondering if that was an option on the ZO6.

not with the way there designed. there may be a few tricks, but the ones ive seen for the IRS was for the older IRS setups. and not so much a mini-tubb.

the wheel wells are rather wide as-is. and the suspension is in the way so to speak.i think a soild axle isnt out of the question but you may have too redesign the back half of the car. but im not sure, i havent tryyed too research it, maybe one of the vette guys will chime in.

Thanks in advance.

Yup, it involves some cutting, and, yeah, I wanted to avoid that for obvious reasons. However, if done correctly, it looks great and functionally works wonders. As for the street tire, I'd probably run (on the street) the largest Nitto DR they make, which, I believe, is a 335. There's been some active debate amongst my friends about (1) whether or not a 335 on a 12" rim would fit under my car without mini-tubbing it and (2) more importantly, how far it would stick out from the fender if it does fit under there.

Thanks in advance.

Lingenfelter makes a kit specifically for the C5. But, in typical LPE fashion, it's like $900, for some plastic fender wells. :rolleyes:

Nate, I'm almost certain that you didn't have a single thing to do with that other thread being redirected and so forth. Reading what you and Brett were posting was actually informative.

John,

CC: Brett

I've worked with GM hardware for quite some time. One of my responsibilities at Mallett Cars, Ltd was the Supercar 427 C5R CTSV, which, puts down in the area of 1000whp - on stock hardware. No failures (engine wise). Driver wise, it went into a guard rail by an inexperianced driver.

Unfortunately, at that power level, it becomes impossible for a hobbyist (even a wealthy one, or one with very strong financial backing) to use the proper tools. As a tuner, I understand you want to be fairly compensated for your time, but the cost would have to passed on to the customer at this level.

Sadly, this is where I find myself drawing the line between a hobby, and a job. I can't say what we used to dial in the CTSV, due to an NDA and general respect for the guys at LS1edit, but it was costly. Very costly.

However, I agree with Brett on some things, the AEM unit is very versatile. Brett's run it, on seems like all of his builds, but he's proven he knows how to use it (like I need to tell anyone that).

There are certain aspects you'll never see/use as an end user (driver). Which, shouldn't matter, but call me an engineer if I didn't believe in principle.

Either way, hope everything goes well, can't wait to see some videos come spring time. :cool:

hey tilly do you know what kind of power numbers it has yet. it was twin gt35s? im building a turbo car. im mostly just looking at everyting to get the best info.

Yes, it has twin GT35R's. Nope, I don't know anything on the numbers yet - I should know that within the next few weeks, though, and I'll post those up once I have them.

..you know come spring there's going to be all kinds of footage. :cool:

Dude! I'll be your camera man! I'll just ride shotgun and we can hang out. We'll discuss everything financially you've done with the car because you owe me that and I know you care. We're BFFs, right?! RIGHT?! :p

Alright, I'm done. Congrats on being able to finally take the car out (although it seems its still got a bit to go til it's really finished). I'm real interested to see what it puts down after some tuning

John, again congrats. I hate all the car drama that seems to have come out right now. It has dulled me to following any progressive post's. I'll have to catch up when I see you at a meet. Sucks the cold streets don't help for traction issues right now.

John, can you do anything like the "red pill" upgrade they have for cobras for your IRS? Some of the IRS 6speed cobras have been running upwards of 1000whp without breaking too much. Just a thought, although I know very little about a vette's IRS.