What are some ways to remove a rusted, rounded off nut?

Stampede

Lots of ways:

1) Cut a deep slit through the middle of the bolt with a cutoff wheel and use a screwdriver.

2) Using a cutoff wheel, cut the bolt edges so it fits in the next size down socket.

3) Pound the next size down socket onto the bolt with a big fucking hammer.

4) Drill a hole in the middle and use an easy-out.

5) Buy special rounded and rusted nut removal sockets from the hardware store.

Whatever you do, spray some penetrating oil on it and let is sit for a bit before you remove it.

I tried number 3 "Pound the next size down socket onto the bolt with a big fucking hammer." Not enough swing.

I don't have an air compressor. How about number 5, "Buy special rounded and rusted nut removal sockets from the hardware store."

Does Harbor Freight have anything like that?

Thanks.

Harbor Freight might, but I dunno if I would trust something like this to a Chinese piece of shit. I know that Sears/Craftsman carries them, probably most major hardware stores too.

I have a set of the craftsman ones, I would let you borrow them if you don't mind driving to Indiana.

All jokes aside, the set costs ~$20 and is well worth the purchase, its saved my ass many times.

It has teeth in the counter clockwise direction so it will crab the stripped bolt head.

Depends on how much room you have, in a similar situation a few weeks ago I just pulled off the exhaust and hack sawed the rusted bolts off.

edit:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00952166000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

This is a great deal, when i got mine they were $20 and I only got four sizes, this comes with 10.

Another way to do it is drill a hole in the nut parallel with the bolt its on. Do this as close to the bolt as you can. Then take a chisel and hit the side of the bolt where you drilled it and that will typically split it too. You want the hole to be as large as possible so it makes the nut very thin where its drilled. Sometimes it can be done on both sides and will then split in to with a twist from a pair of vicegrips.