Ebay HID kits?

Berto

Anyone ever get the cheaper HID kits on ebay? I'm looking for better lighting at night on my daily driver and thought about getting this kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-H1-H3-H4-H7-9004-9006-9007_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ010QQitemZ200058153846QQrdZ1

I know philips is the best but being these kits have been around a while shouldn't they be comparable in reliability? What is the difference between philips and cheaper kits?

TIA

you get what you pay for

i can get you in touch w/ a guy who sells them on a couple hyundai forums im on for 250 shipped, and i believe he has a 1 or 2 year warranty on the kits. brand is HALO. let me know if you're interested and ill get his email addy for you

Guest 78novaman

The kits that go into your halogen lenses are a big no no. The stock lenses cannot focus the beam properly and you just blind everyone coming at you with over the legal limit bulb wattage. -Plus they are low beam HID kits only, if your bulbs are one for high & low beam then you lose your high beam.

The correct kits usually run $700-$1000 with new lenses & the low/high beam flap.

The kits that go into your halogen lenses are a big no no. The stock lenses cannot focus the beam properly and you just blind everyone coming at you with over the legal limit bulb wattage. -Plus they are low beam HID kits only, if your bulbs are one for high & low beam then you lose your high beam.

The correct kits usually run $700-$1000 with new lenses & the low/high beam flap.

This man speaks the truth.. you'll get a shit-ton of glare, and that's about it.

HIDs use less wattage except on "start-up".

But yes you will have some increase glare installing them in a stock housing. I plan on getting some for my tC at some point.

HIDs use less wattage except on "start-up".

But yes you will have some increase glare installing them in a stock housing. I plan on getting some for my tC at some point.

it truely depending on the car and the housing. My 3 uses the same light housing for hid that it uses for halagen lights the only diff is the hids lights have a 3 step adjustment to help "level" the lights.

I carry direct plug and play H.I.D. kits at work. I have had one on my M3 for about a year now with no issues and can vouch for sure that they are high quality, and actually give me alot better vision than my factory H.I.D.'s in my other car (5 series BMW). We sell them for $249.99. They come car specific for each application. Give me a call at work anytime if you have questions about them, 614-776-1380. Ask for Pete.

Unless you are retrofitting an OEM HID projector (not halogen projectors), avoid HID plug-and-play "kits". They are illegal for a reason.

What kind of bulbs do you have? Look into better halogens such as phillips extravision or Osram silverstars. If those wont cut it go HIR, but make damn sure your lights are aimed properly.

if you have a projector housing yuor cool if not then you got clare..

wow, whats hoblick doing being the voice of reason?

hes correct. as long as you have a housing that supports hid's in another version of the car (i.e. wrx/sti) then you are fine. ive had two aftermarket hid kits now, berto, so i know a bit about them. feel free to give me a holler and ill drop some knowledge for you.

we have a guy on another forum im on who makes the cut off shields so installing HIDs in a hallogen equiped car doesnt blind everyone.

shawn - as for the mazda3, can you point me in a direction for something for my girls 3? im not sure what id need to put some into her car and not blind everyone on the road. are these stock halogen projectors on her car or what?

As long as I can see. That's really all i'm worried about. Everyone will have a different opinion about this just like everything else in life. Realistically form your own opinion not based on someone elses experience but based on your own view. Therefore like I said I have a pair installed that you can see anytime you want.

Unless you are retrofitting an OEM HID projector (not halogen projectors), avoid HID plug-and-play "kits". They are illegal for a reason.

What kind of bulbs do you have? Look into better halogens such as phillips extravision or Osram silverstars. If those wont cut it go HIR, but make damn sure your lights are aimed properly.

the way I understood it if the car had a hid option from the factory you could put hids on it and be legal.

we have a guy on another forum im on who makes the cut off shields so installing HIDs in a hallogen equiped car doesnt blind everyone.

shawn - as for the mazda3, can you point me in a direction for something for my girls 3? im not sure what id need to put some into her car and not blind everyone on the road. are these stock halogen projectors on her car or what?

yes.

http://www.xenonexpert.com/

they sell hid kits for the 3. as well as a halo kit. they seem to have a good rep on the mazda3 forums but I have not bought from them I installed a set of silver star lights and turnsingal and have been very happy so far.

thats the thing is i have silverstars, i thought about trying the new Ultras.

the reflector pattern on the civic is fantastic an I am afraid to loose that with these retro fit kits.

But do you have OSRAM or Sylvania silverstars? Big difference, I dont mean the autozone sylvania silverstars. If you have 9005 or 9006 bulbs, HIR is really the way to go.

But do you have OSRAM or Sylvania silverstars? Big difference, I dont mean the autozone sylvania silverstars. If you have 9005 or 9006 bulbs, HIR is really the way to go.

What do you mean ? what is HIR?

I have sylvania silverstars.

yes.

http://www.xenonexpert.com/

they sell hid kits for the 3. as well as a halo kit. they seem to have a good rep on the mazda3 forums but I have not bought from them I installed a set of silver star lights and turnsingal and have been very happy so far.

thanks for the link. looking at it though, i cant find anything above 6k. i know 6-8 is best for the amount of light (and natural looking), but shes infatuated with the look of the new acura TLs and wants that heavy purple color...something i think im only going to be able to get with a 10-12k