IPS motorsports

Hilbillyhomeboy

This shall be the story of my car. Stupidly long read, sorry.

I own a 1992 Dodge Stealth RT twin turbo. I purchased this car January 2003 in totally stock form with expception to a K & N drop-in. The car had approximately 128,000 on the chassis. Allegedly it had 51,000 on the rebuilt engine via a corner of an 8x11 piece of paper in plain hand writing.

I suckered my wife into letting me buy the car for her to drive during winter. I sold her on the all wheel drive. She said I could have it but I had to sell my SVX first. Well, like any good husband I bought it anyway and sold the SVX later. She was none too thrilled to see a stick shift. She can drive stick, but was way out of practice. Once she got back in the saddle she was loving the car. Speeding around all over the place, causing mayhem, laying waste to 99+ GT's and LT1's, you know fun stuff to do in a $5,500 car.

I started shopping for aftermarket parts soon after. My main source for parts was ebay. Sue me, I didn't know forums existed and wasn't too hot with teh iNtArNeT. I soon found 3si.org and was on my way to creating a monster.

I soon decided if I was going to do this then it was all or nothing. So I decided to go BIG. Bought components for a completely forged bottom end, and completely upgraded heads. Purchased a turbo kit capable of supporting 1,040 at the crank and about $20,000 worth of other items.

Cosmetic items were also deemed necessary so I bought a 2nd generation Stealth rear bumper cover, 96 Stealth rear spoiler, and a front bumper cover from the coveted 99 3000GT, 19" wheels from JDM land(rolleyes), and a fiberglass hood with intake and extractor vents.

Next step was to start interviewing shops for was capable and willing to take on a job of this size. I wanted to stay as local as I could and heard good reviews of a place called Carl Grover Motorsports which was only about 10-15 miles up the road. I make the venture up to Grover and discuss with them what I have, what I want and what I'm willing to pay. They introduce me to the techs and give me a full tour of the shop. This place is top notch I'm thinking. Full engine dyno room, complete in house machine shop, temperature controlled paint booth, multiple lifts...the works. I didn't commit that day. I went back again and interviewed them about two weeks later when my transaxle bit the dust. They were confident they could handle the job even though their forte' is/was small block Fords. They also showed me an 8 page article in the most recent PRI magazine showcasing Carl Grover Motorports. Good deal, I'm sold.

I take them the car in February of 2004. They tear into it like no tomorrow and are making unreal progress....until the lead tech quits and it's time to start the head porting work. The head porting runs some 6 months or better because the guy just wouldn't do it. I'm not thrilled obviously so I tell them to get busy on the body work.

Long story short, they finally complete the car December 8, 2004. Bet you're wondering why I remember the exact date. Heh, hold on this is where the fun starts. I was promised the bill would not exceed $20,000. They presented me with a $30,000 bill. The wife is overjoyed at this point /sarcasm. The car will barely run under it's own power because the tune is, well, non-existent. No big deal on the tune, I can handle that...or so I thought. Anyway, I write the big check and drive my shiny POS home. Doesn't run worth a shit but she sure looks good. :rolleyes:

I continue messing with the car for a week and the timing belt is getting ragged on the edge BAD. Take it back to Grover and they say nothing is wrong. Remember the 6g72 is an interference motor...drop the t-belt and hello valve to piston loving and consequences no man should have to endure. I research, make phone calls, ad nauseum and just can't work this out. I give up and shove it in the garage pissed.

A week or two later I'm on AIM yakking it up and get a friendly IM from "turbotrio". No idea who this person is or what they want. We talk and I find out it is Jeff Yetzer from IPS motorsports. He's confident in his shops abilities to straighten out my ride so I enter into an agreement to bring the car to Columbus. This isn't too bad, about 2 hours from where I live.

I deliver the car to IPS motorsports December 31, 2004. Yeah I made 'em wait for me on New Years Eve. :asshole: I meet Jeff, Mike, Brett, Tank, both Jasons, and Ryan. Real cool guys and I'm impressed with the caliber of automobiles within the shop. Few Z06's, slant nose, champagne 911, etc...

They tear into the car immediately. I, like a dumbass, was trying to run two piggybacks. A GReddy e-manage and an ARC-2(made by split second, raw and coarse fuel controller but it provides a larger MAF). Jeff suggests I could sell the GReddy unit, the ARC-2 and my modified stock ECU and clear an AEM ems and never worry about engine management again. This was an excellent suggestion and I did indeed clear the AEM and put a few bucks in my pocket. Loving IPS motorsports at this point. :cool:

The car is still eating the timing belt and they are too worried about this to do any type of full throttle road tuning. I agree. They replace the timing belt and it eats it also. WTF? This is retarded. One day Jeff and others were standing around the car brainstorming and the cam gears jumped....the car wasn't running. Ah-ha, the first clue has revealed itself. The timing belt routing on these cars is a bitch and a half due to the transverse mounted engine. They tear it all down and find the crank sprocket to have been pounded in with a fucking hammer and consequently it is off center. Yeah, that's the work of Carl Grover Motorsports, recognized by PRI with an 8 page spread.....

Get that nonsense straightened out and she's straight as an arrow. Now starts the BIG fun. Renner starts into tuning with Jeff driving. Going real well, get it up to 18 psi and she's starting to move the fuck out. One night, they were tuning and BOOM something shat itself. They shut it down immediately to find ALL of the coolant on the ground under the car. Ooooo-kay then, WTF is this all about? Analyze everything and there's no normal or obvious evidence of where the hell all of this BS came from. Only one thing left and no way could it be that....freeze plug. Yuppers, the SOB blew a freeze plug clean out of the block. Admittedly, this is pretty damn funny. I mean c'mon how many times have you vere heard of this happening? :lol:

Oh and it just had to be the fun one too, transaxle side. Grrr, damnit. Dodged a massive bullet in the fact the freeze plug went through the flywheel, clutch everything and didn't damage a damn thing. Unreal. So, IPS motorsports replaces it and decides for good measure they'll weld the SOB in there this time, hahaha. Car isn't exactly a daily so it doesn't make a shit.

This works and no more coolant....for now. Next big fun item is the turbo kit. Right after the freeze plug liberation the front turbo decides to eat itself. Fuck. I contact the shop I got the kit from and after a heated debate they decide they will at least look at it. Cool, so IPS motorsports sends BOTH turbos out to them. This is a bitch, the engine HAS to be yanked to get this shit out. Get the turbos back a month or more later and the front is now stupid tight. Granted these are journal bearing, but good grief you can't even turn the damn comp. wheel. Rear turbo looks untouched. UGH, whatever, put it back together.

Get it back together and I shit you not, 6 fucking miles later she starts puking that super trick double throwdown Spy Hunter smoke screen out the ass again. I'm beyond pissed at this moment because it's the god damned rear turbo now. *$@)!^%

I've had it with these damn turbos and decide I'm going to make a HUGE jump and step up to GT3071R's. Jeff contacts ATP turbo and gets the ball rolling. Jeff gives me a smokin price on these bad boys, damn near cost. They show up a couple weeks later and something looks awry. Renner tears into them and sure as hell they sent 3076R's rather than the 71's. Call up ATP and they admit it saying "Yeah, we thought you needed the 3076R's, so we upgraded you. We did down size the A/R of the exhaust so you should be cool." Haha, what a bunch of fuckers.

So, we're kicking ass with these, getting the boost up up up and the car is starting to walk all over the road. All wheel drive mind you, so this is no joke in terms of power. Then the header cracks. You've got to be fucking kidding me. Call up the shop where I got the kit from and he says (oh you're going to love this) "Yeah I knew that would happen, all of the first 5 kits did that. Adam used a plasma to cut stainless without knowing any better. Send them back and we'll section it and weld it back up." Holy shit, you knew it would happen and let people install the $6,000 kit anyway?

Well, what are you gonna do? Pull the engine AGAIN (I've skipped a few engine pulls in this novel already for other turbo kit BS) and ship the shit off. Get it back a month or two later and put her back together. I'll be damned if it wasn't 2-3 weeks later the rear header cracks in the same place the front one did. This kit is from the "leader" in performance parts for the 3000GT and Stealth cars...... Car is still pushing coolant like no tomorrow, blowing out the welded freeze plugs and generally making me, Jeff and all of the good folks at IPS motorsports tear our hair out follicle by follicle.

At this point I have no choice but to tell IPS motorsports to fuckign yank it out and send it back. Renner comes up with an idea in the interim. Why not go big single turbo? I can sell my whole turbo kit, ic kit, pipes, etc. and clear the single kit. Good damn deal, man I really like the way these guys think.

So I sell all of my shit and authorize the short block to be thoroughly examined and a new one to be built(old one was bored 120 over). Oh boy, more quality work from the PRI recognized asshole up the road from me. The pistons moved around like a 6 pack of Bud bottles in a cardboard carrier. Sweet. The machine shop that took it apart said it was the easiest engine they ever took apart and hardly even had to use tools. We made 657 awhp on this? Jesus...

So a few months go by and the shorty has been dropped in, heads re-installed, single turbo kit completed and we're up and running. NO problems at all. WTF? I'm not used to this, what do you mean teh car runs and performs perfect? I call :bs: :D Renner lays into the tuning like an animal, Tank fabs up all kinds of crazy shit, Ryan, Mike and Jason doing all kinds of tweaking and damn this SOB is actually holding. I'm about to faint at this point.

Renner decides she's too crazy for the street at this point and it's time to take this party to the dyno. Get her on the dyno and she lays down a nasty 757awhp. Unfortunately, the GT42-76 also "laid down". Fucking turbo imploded, lol. Send it back to Precision, they rebuild it after oh you know a fucking month or more, and ship it back. IPS motorsports drops it back in (new turbo kit is badass, everything is so accessible) and turns the outlet up. Fire it up and it's spitting oil out of the top...sweet. IPS rigs up eleventy billion pressure gauges and takes video proving the oil pressure is dead on pre, post and in the chra. Typical Precision turbo work, if you get a good turbo from them you had better guard it with your life.....

So, the turbo gets sent back. Another month+ rebuild and the damn thign is now worse than it was to begin with. Jeff calls me and gives me the bad news and asks what I want to do. Jeff never does anything to my car without permission, cool guy, I like this approach. He says PTE said we can send it back (UGH) or go with a GT4202 off the shelf Garrett unit. I'm frustrated because I want the bad boy 76 rather than the 74 G-unit. Jeff tells me about how many customers he's had with problem after problem from custom PTE turbos so I opt for the off the shelf Garrett. I made the right choice.

Take it back to the dyno with the 4202 and she lays down 856awhp and 702 awtq, all boost no spray at only 30 psi. NO problems whatsoever.

Take her to Kil-Kare, Linn was there, and I decide it's best for Renner to take the first shakedown passes since I haven't driven it above 18(ish) psi. First pass he walks off the line (2.9 60'), short shifts 2nd and puts the pedal to the metal at the top of 2nd. 13.3 @ 133 25 psi. Woo-hoo love the trap. I give him permission to get it off the line this time and go for it. She was cooking this time but the damn clutch gave out in 2nd gear and Renner rolled/coasted it to 11.4 @ 114. People were all sorts of confused at how it could run a low 13 @ 133 and then a low 11 @ 114.

Been back to the track two more times now. Once at Trails only got two passes in. 11.5 @ 141 31 psi + 50 shot and 10.7 @ 137(ish) 28 psi. Then to Norwalk. Only got 4 passes in and it was my first time to drive the car. First pass I went 10.9 @ 138 on wastegate pressure of 23 psi, badass. Also went 11.5 @ 140 on 28 psi. And beat a modded Ford GT on my last pass. :cool:

And that is it. The car is sleeping at IPS. When we really turn the wick up she pushes some coolant so we're looking into a few options over the winter. Overall, not too bad for a fatass car that weighs 3520 sans driver.

Continued...

I have been thrilled with the level of expertise and overall friendliness I have received from IPS motorsports and all of its' respective employees with one exception I will get to in a moment.

Jeff - Overly friendly guy that will help out as much as he can. Jeff has been brutally honest with me even when he knew it would sting sometimes(refer back to all the shit I had to go through). He has led me down an unblazed trail (single turbo not common for my car) with phenomenal success thus far. Labor rate has been very fair and price of parts can't be beat in my opinion. Jeff has become one of my very best friends over the last two years.

Mike - I don't see how anybody couldn't like this guy. He takes a little while to open up, kind of shy and reserved. Once you really get to know him, well you know you're not going to meet a better person. This is the kind of person that would give you the shirt off of their back. I've watched him turn a wrench or two and he is quick and proficient.

Brett - This guy is a little different and can certainly throw you for a loop until you get to know him. I figured him out pretty quickly though. He's a no nonsense, no bullshit straight shooter. He has a way he wants things done and expects everyone else to follow suit. I've psent hours upon hours in the car with Brett and his knowledge is absolutely astonishing. I've watched him create several awe inspiring vehicles. I 100% trust my car with him no matter what. He is a conservative tuner who takes his time and massages the engine perameters slowly and accurately. A damn fine tuner and a great person to have an intellectual conversation with.

Tank - Mr. fabrication. This dude can build anything. Just one of those guys that can pick shit up, stare at it for a few minutes, break out the TIG and go to work. He's fabbed up some really trick custom shit on my car. As far as mechanic skills, top fucking notch. This cat can work on anything.

Ryan - I never got to know Ryan real well before he went to Slow Motion. The times I did speak to him he was cool. I also watched him vigorously and relentlessly wrench on my car into the wee hours of the morning trying to help me make a show or track event(same goes for ALL of the real techs at IPS). I was told that Ryan kind of gave the guys at Slow Motion, as well as some other little fags, a heads up on my car that I didn't appreciate but it was getting close to the end of the build so I let it ride. Word was starting to get around at this point anyway so whatever. You're still good in my book Ryan. :)

Jason - I haven't spent a ton of time talking with Jason. He typically works on other things than my car. Seems knowledgable and certainly very pleasant in person. Usually pretty quiet.

Greg - I do not like Greg, nor have I ever. I find him to be rude with a holier than thou attitude. I know people like Greg and I avoid them like the plague. Let me tell you about the first time I ever talked to Mr. Powers. He calls me up, while Jeff is on his honeymoon, and says...and I quote: (remember I'm not even aware this guy works at IPS)

"Hi this is Greg from IPS motorsports. Listen man, we've been floating your bill for a loooong time now and it's time to pay up."

"Umm, ok. Who is this?"

"This is Greg from IPS and you need to pay $4,000 right now or your car doesn't get touched ever again."

"Excuse me? I keep up with my bill just fine. Is my car ready for NG(national gathering for 3000's and Stealths) or will it be?"

"I don't know man. All I know is there are cars here like a TT Z06 that is a $25,000 build. Way more than your car so you just need to pay."

"WTF? You have no clue who you're talking to do you? I suggest you review the 20+ pages of my ongoing invoice and take special note to the $40,000 + I've spent ALREADY. Again, is my car done or not and who are you? Who told you to call me?"

"No one told me to call you. I'm just taking it upon myself to reel in your bill. So, $4,000 or the car doesn't get touched. Those are your options."

I gave him $3,000 even though I should have told him to get bent. I'm a very nice guy as anyone who has met me will attest. I am 30 damn years old and don't have time, nor the energy or patience, to play stupid little games.

Yeah I was steaming at this point and told him that Jeff and Mike would be hearing of this. Jeff and Mike were none too happy. This was like beginning of June.

My wife, always said "If I have to go up there, I swear to God you had better keep that fucking Greg asshole away from me. He has a massive attitude with no apparent reason or justification, I know his type. If I have to deal with him, the gloves are off" She got into it with him pretty good at Kil-Kare because he was running his mouth, as usual. Can't say I was exactly enthused either.

Cliffs - My car was originally built by Carl Grover Motorsports in Ona, WV. A performance shop that was featured in PRI magazine with an 8 page spread and nothing, NOTHING, was done correctly except the body work. I turn it over to IPS Motorsports and after they overthrew the existing coup and the car was fitted with ALL IPS bits she runs top fucking notch.

They will continue to get my business. ;):cool: :thumbup:

wow thats alot of bs to go thro for where u stand today man! im glad u stuck it out and the car is running well, cant waite to see you get the swing of it (car:) ) and break some records :)......... ive always thought you and ang were cool ppl from the first day i met you a few yrs back..........

im also hoping the ''as well as some other little fags'' comment wasnt towards me? ...........

anyways best of luck to you in '07 and you need to make it to the NG this year , i owe you a drink from last year i missed out on :)..... justin

Yes, thanks a million Jeremy. As probably the single biggest build/project car we have ever done (Even more so than Tilleys Z06) that means a lot. There has been so many twists and turns since she first arrived it was cool getting to re-read it all.

Your run-downs of all of us is pretty funny :)

I cant believe I am going to say this, but in Gregs defense, I am pretty sure Mike asked him to call some people (not sure about who specifically) to collect some money that week as we were hurting as I remember it. Obviously he didnt tell him to call up and be a complete dick, but he may have asked him to call. Of course the ear-full I got from you after the Kilkare day is just Greg being Greg. Just be thankful that he wasnt close by for the majority of that day/night. I only bring it up since I dont want this post turning into yet another IPS / Greg bitch-fest.

Again, thanks so much for all the kind words and you and Angie have a very Happy Holiday :)

Jeff

Yes, thanks a million Jeremy. As probably the single biggest build/project car we have ever done (Even more so than Tilleys Z06) that means a lot. There has been so many twists and turns since she first arrived it was cool getting to re-read it all.

Your run-downs of all of us is pretty funny :)

I cant believe I am going to say this, but in Gregs defense, I am pretty sure Mike asked him to call some people (not sure about who specifically) to collect some money that week as we were hurting as I remember it. Obviously he didnt tell him to call up and be a complete dick, but he may have asked him to call. Of course the ear-full I got from you after the Kilkare day is just Greg being Greg. Just be thankful that he wasnt close by for the majority of that day/night. I only bring it up since I dont want this post turning into yet another IPS / Greg bitch-fest.

Again, thanks so much for all the kind words and you and Angie have a very Happy Holiday :)

Jeff

OK. Yeah it was just poor presentation, especially considering I hadn't even heard his name at that point. Water under the bridge at this point, I was just running down through everyone at IPS. :)

Thanks guys, I've really been through hell with this car. If I would have just scrapped the first shops work immediately and told IPS to give it their treatment I would have saved $20,000. Jeff and the guys were trying to salvage everything they could. Once the new shortblock was built and the old one disassembled we all knew it had been a losing battle. If only we'd had a crystal ball. :D

I am a self employed real estate appraiser who works very hard and lots of hours so I can have toys like this. I have a very cool wife that doesn't shop til she drops and NO kids. Had I met Jeff first, I could knock nearly $50,000 off what I have invested in this car. Damn you Carl Grover Motorsports. :mad:

No Justin, not directed at you. :)

Yeah this car hasn't even begun to E.T. yet. My short track is atrocious and kills my 1/4. I think my best 60' to date is a low 1.9.....terrible for an awd car. Once I figure out how to launch it, she's going to scream. High 9's is the ultimate goal, got enough trap already, just need the driver....

Jeremy

any worries about breaking tranny's/half shafts? i used to own a wrx, and while my car wasnt anywhere near yours in terms of power, it seems to me that most awd guys struggle with keeping transmissions in their high hp cars. may be speaking about something that i heard secondhand here, but i thought that that was one of the problems jeff was having with his 3kgt, they dont make a badass enough tranny for it.

may be speaking about something that i heard secondhand here, but i thought that that was one of the problems jeff was having with his 3kgt, they dont make a badass enough tranny for it.

My car in particular has never had a single Tranny/T-case issue since I have owned it. Clutch has been replaced a few times but thats it for me. I still have the stock driveshaft and rest of the drivetrain. Most of the 94+ 6-Spd cars have had better luck in the Tranny/T-case dept.

Jeremy's car has a RPS Carbon/Carbon Clutch, Carbon Fiber Driveshaft, upgraded T-case, and the beefiest of the stock 5-spd Trannys and aside from one clutch failure at the track its all held up great thus far.

Jeff

so, tranny's and half shafts arent really as big an issue in the 3kgt?

The problem for the longest time was the complete lack of rebuild parts. You lost a synchro a few years back and you were looking at a $4k tranny. The 6-spds have proven much more reliable as a generalization. Stock versions have been driven into the 9s already -- which is true of the 5-spd as well. The T-case was always the the first thing to go on the 5-Spd cars and now there is a very solid Billet aluminum and S.S. version out as upgrades that have proven to be bullet-proof thus far.

Jeff

You're correct Orion. We had a double edged sword going. The 6 speed t-case is iron and real solid, but the bell housing is prone to crack. The 5 speed t-case is aluminum and breaks easy, but the bell housing is rock solid. Unfortunately the parts aren't interchangable.

We now have two upgrade options for the 5 speed t-case. A billet SS one and a cast SS rendition. The 6 speed guys are having to weld in a reinforcement plate in the bell housing to keep it from scattering.

I love my 5 speed. 6 speed swap was all the rage 3-4 years ago. I refused to do it because I hate the ratio of the 6 speed. Turns out now the 5 speed, with the upgraded t-case options, is where the beef is. :D 3rd gear in my 5 speed will do over 140 with the rev limiter bumped to around 8 grand. :)

Somehow the half shafts, stock is all we have, hold up perfect. I know two guys who have sheared a rear but that's it.

I'd also like to add my Stealth is the 3rd most powerful 3000GT or Stealth on the planet, thanks to IPS. The #1 spot is held by an auto car with twin 4088R's, that laid down 935 and spun a bearing as soon as it got off the dyno(doesn't really count to me but whatever). #2 is 873awhp and I'm #3 at 856. Soon as we go back to the dyno (got to get the head lift issue sorted first) we will take the #1 spot. Might take a little spray but the record will be ours. :cool:

I'd also like to add my Stealth is the 3rd most powerful 3000GT or Stealth on the planet, thanks to IPS. The #1 spot is held by an auto car with twin 4088R's, that laid down 935 and spun a bearing as soon as it got off the dyno(doesn't really count to me but whatever). #2 is 873awhp and I'm #3 at 856. Soon as we go back to the dyno (got to get the head lift issue sorted first) we will take the #1 spot. Might take a little spray but the record will be ours. :cool:

That's awesome. :cool:

What do these cars usually weigh in at or around? I have also seen there are two different generations. Other than transmissions is there anything else really different. Also how light can you make the car? I have been looking into buying a new car and I cant decide what I want to buy at all. between about 8 cars these are in the top 5. TIA

Think boat anchor :D

:asshole: :D

LOL, they aren't the lightest that's for sure. Stock curb weight is right around 3,800.

They can be lightened to 3250(ish) and still appear stock. Lightest of the light and current trap speed record holder is around 2,800. It's a tin can, stock appearing from the exterior. 151 mph is what it went at 9.73. Current ET record is 9.66 but it's an auto and went 139. :(

93+ comes with a forged crank out of the box. 93 also marks the changeover to 4 bolt mains, although it's not needed. Mine is a lowly 2 bolt and holds power just fine. :)

A stock VR-4 can run mid 12's for $500. MBC, intake, data logger, downpipe, gutted pre-cats. Damn good bang for your buck....until the mod bug bites. :cool:

Also worth mentioning, although Jeremy's dyno numbers are 3rd highest, his trap speed of 141.2 is the single highest trap speed of any full weight 3/S out there. The only cars to trap higher are the ones that are completely stripped out cars that weigh ~800+ pounds less. I'm sure that everybody knows what the trap speed tells in terms of power, in case anybody wants to question just comparing dyno numbers. In addition to better ET's, this car has several more mph left in it. ;) It is definitely a fun ride. :cool: