I will race anyone now or in the spring, whenever you're ready.

El Karacho1647545492

Yeah, that sucks. It was the biggest piece of equipment that man ever built. It's a shame that it's gone.

Where was that thing at? It says "Central Ohio" on it, I'm wondering if they used it up on the lake or in the "National" quarry just out of delaware.

The whole sign says "Central Ohio Coal", it removed overburden from an open-pit coal mine.

I believe it was near Byesville. The bucket is now located near McConnelsville in the Miner's Memorial Park.

That bucket's volume matches that of a 12-car garage...compare it's size in the pic to the actual machine!

Google "Big Muskie", there are still some pics & info out there.

no there is one bigger but its in China IIRC

Big Muskie was, and I believe, still is the largest single-bucket digging machine ever built. Also the largest "walking" machine, as opposed to tracks.

There may be larger, but like the one Brian posted, they are multi-bucket machines.

I see they are moving that machine across a road; they've covered the asphalt with dirt to protect it. I wonder what the per-square-inch ground load is for that beast.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard the stories of Big Muskie crossing 70 back in the day. They shut it down for 3 days for it to cross. One day to get the dirt piled, one FULL day for it to walk across and one to clean up the dirt. It was built here in Ohio and assembled of course on site.

It had its own power plant that produced enough electricity to run a city with a population of 20000.

There are several sites, one including video of the rigging being cut with explosives as it was scrapped.