Digital Phone

Sully

I don't have a home phone, just been using the cell for the past year. By November, I had used all of my rollover minutes and went WAY over my plan minutes the past couple months. I've been thinking about getting Digital Phone, but I don't know too many people with it. I've been looking at a few providers and here's what I found:

SunRocket:

$24.95 a month or $199/yr, prepaid, which is approximately $16.58/month.

$39.95 equipment fee waived with annual plan

3 months free if you sign up for the yearly plan

$0 cancellation fees

Vonage:

$24.99/month

$29.99 Activation; $9.95 s&h

$39.99 if cancel after 30 days but before 1 year

Time Warner:

$34.95/month

$3.00/month if you want voicemail

Obviously, SunRocket is the cheapest by far. I called TW the other day about their Digital Phone. The lady I talked to wasn't willing to negotiate the price at all. She said she could add some more programming to my cable tv package for an additional $6/month (WTF???). I don't watch much tv as it is, so that doesn't do me any good.

The people that I've talked to that have TW Digital Phone say they like it. I haven't heard any reviews of the other two (other than online reviews). Do any of you have Digital Phone service with either of the other two providers? If so, how well is it working for you?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

My next door neighbor has TW phone, it is a s c r app y c onnectio n as you can get.

The problem with this type of phone service is there is no end to end queueing occuring so the VOIP traffic has no priority over your own or any other shared data. Therefore sometimes the calls are good but often then aren't. If you surf the web a bunch, while using the phone, or if you have big downloads going on while talking on the phone the call quality will go out the window. My suggestion is to get more minutes for your cell phone. Can you increase your plan by $18/month and get more minutes?

I have had Vonage for about a year and a half. Service is good... no problems. It sounds just a clear as a land line did. And it is about 1/2 the cost of sprint. I will never go back to a land line.

BTW... When the phone company (sprint) sends you a bill, do you ever notice that almost 50% of the bill is tax? That is why I went Vonage.

I've been using the WOW VOIP phone package for over a year without any issues. No lost calls, no reception problems, no interrupts due to downloads, nothing. Also, there's a battery backup for the router built-in in case of power outages so that phone service is still intact, as well as having my cell.

My next door neighbor has TW phone, it is a s c r app y c onnectio n as you can get.

The problem with this type of phone service is there is no end to end queueing occuring so the VOIP traffic has no priority over your own or any other shared data. Therefore sometimes the calls are good but often then aren't. If you surf the web a bunch, while using the phone, or if you have big downloads going on while talking on the phone the call quality will go out the window. My suggestion is to get more minutes for your cell phone. Can you increase your plan by $18/month and get more minutes?

we have TW and couldn't be happier. Haven't had a bit of problems. while on the phone havent seen a change in big downloads or gaming time.

Guest spydercolt8
i've had vonage for over a year and a half now. no problems, quality is good, great options too. i would never get a land line. if the power goes out the cell still works

I used over 2,000 minutes each of the last 2 months. That resulted in 2 cell phone bills of $350+ each.

Right now, my cell phone plan is $40/month. In order to get enough minutes, I would have to increase my cell plan to the $100/month plan. That's an extra $60/month. If I could get digital phone for $24.99 or less per month, that would be the route to go.

Oh, and cell phone reception is pretty crappy as it is, so it would be any different...LoL.

HAve you called the phone company about getting a basic landline phone plan?

Almost all of my family lives out of the state, so most of my calls are long distance. The unlimited local/long distance plan that I use to have with SBC was running about $50 per month. A basic line isn't going to do me any good and an unlimited plan with SBC is more costly than Digital Phone.

Almost all of my family lives out of the state, so most of my calls are long distance. The unlimited local/long distance plan that I use to have with SBC was running about $50 per month. A basic line isn't going to do me any good and an unlimited plan with SBC is more costly than Digital Phone.

I gotcha. The reason I asked was my mom has a basic plan, so she can call locally on the landline and if she has to call long distance, she uses her cell. But that probably won't work for your situation.

I've been using the WOW VOIP phone package for over a year without any issues. No lost calls, no reception problems, no interrupts due to downloads, nothing. Also, there's a battery backup for the router built-in in case of power outages so that phone service is still intact, as well as having my cell.

this is what my parents have also.. they are saving themselves about 60 dollars a month when they switched to WOW, and have the phone, internet, and cable all through them. (this is also including disconnecting the phone they had through Ameritech)

Yeah, I feel Digital Phone would be my best choice as far as price goes, I was just wondering who all has it and what company they are with. I haven't checked the link you posted yet, but from the ones I listed, SunRocket is the cheapest. I was curious if anyone here has SunRocket and how well it works. I suppose there's one way to find out. I'll have to see if they have a free trial period or something.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been looking at a VOIP for our home also.

Our last bill was over 180 for 2 of our three phones and 140 for a Biz phone.

400 A month is a bit much. None are used a whole lot either.

Does anyone have comments about any other than Vonage and WOW?

Thanks, KO

this is the new trend in super bundles. its all about advertising...to get the full 4 fold approach(tv, internet, cellphone and home phone.) its why cingular changed its name back to AT&T....so that when at&t advertises, you not only think phone but all the other appendages that at&t offers

ps the economist is the shit.

I finally went with SunRocket and paid for a whole year for $199 which works out to about $17 per month. I've had it for a week now and it's working out great. They've got some pretty cool features on the website as well. I have it set up so that when someone leaves me a voicemail at home, at text message is sent to my cell phone with the phone number that called, the date/time, and how long the message is. I can then log onto the website and listen to my voicemail, or call my voicemail from my cell phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually your wrong. Time Warner has QoS on their network for their phone service. In all honesty they give you more bandwidth if you have Digital Phone, but the extra bandwidth is reserved for your Phone service. Time Warner's Layout is as follows:

MTA----->CMTS----->GSR----->BTS------>PSTN From the MTA to the BTS Voip is QoS's over all traffic. Which then at the BTS it is converted to Copper and pushed to the PSTN. So yes, TW Digital Phone has QoS.

Normal VoIP traffic only has QoS from your home router. i.e your vonage, Sun rocket, Packet 8, Lingo, etc... and uses the public internet to transverse your calls. TW's Digital phone isn't a bad product, it has it's bugs from time to time, but in general is a good product. They are switching carriers from MCI/Verizon Business to Sprint in the next year though. Sprint is who WOW and Insight use for their VoIP.

Hope that helps you out some.

I have heard if you have a digital phone that 911 doesnt always work and/or they cant locate you if you couldnt talk etc

Digital Phone is E911. If it doesn't work it is because you have moved your MTA or MCI/Verizon Business did not push the rate center correctly.