Tool prices

Tractor

Didn't wanna thread hijack so here goes and if its in the wrong place move it wasn't really sure on this one.

Where do people get $10,000 or even $6,000 in tools. Now I know I'm not an auto mechanic for a living, but even still I've done jobs on countless cars and I don't even have $1,000 in tools to work with. I've always wondered about it and I guess I'm about to find out.

Evan

Because people buy snap-on instead of craftsman...

Snap-on does have good tools but the price is high. My Father is a machine tool re-builder and he has over 100K in tools. He had to do an inventory for insurance a few years back. Took him 30+ years to get that amount of tools.

Well you just gain tools over time and it amounts to large amounts like that.

Evan you're friends with Bo Hawkins correct? He has $15k+ in tools. He works across the shop from me.

I have about $6k in tools and $2500 in a used toolbox.

Sorry I suck at names so don't know who that is. I've heard people mention that guys have been bumed because of there snap on breaking and then the truck comming once and week and not having there tool so they get to wait another week. That would suck. I say if its gonna break just get craftsman and save some time since time is money. I've only broken 1 craftsman tool in the time I've been working on stuff and that was there 3/8" socket wrenches over and over. Of course I usually break them when I have my BFH hitting them as hard as I can and then sometimes I got a breaker bar on them, but anythings gonna break under those conditions. Well unless it costs to much I guess:-)

Evan

Bo has a blue Jeep Wrangler. Really skinny and kind of tall. He has mentioned of your truck before at work.

If you break something Snap-On and it's something really needed you can always call your truck guy and usually he'll come and give you a replacement that day. I've had him come in and then pay him and two hours later my rachet broke and he was back a few hours later.

i have never had a single problem with my craftsman tools....or even my ampro (advance) air tools. ...until they consistanly break i see no point in getting a $500 impact...or a $250 set of stubby flex head gear wrenches from my cornwell guy. aside from the work at home for a few years while in school...I have only been a tech for 3 months and have approx 5-6k in tools. i easily spend $150 a week on both the s&k and cornwell trucks....I dont have a huge box either probably only $900 with the workbench next to it.

We had those Ampro air tools when I worked at NTB. I honestly thought they were pieces of shit, and we found ourselves using one gun because half the time the other ones wouldn't take off a lug if it was torqued over 100. But then again, they probably aren't cared for the best either.

I just work in my garage but I'd say between my hand tools and air tools, I have easily $1500+, probably more than that but I've aquired tools over a few years so I can't really remember, but a box alone is a few hundred, but I agree with KentState, I bought a $60 harbor freight special impact gun, 750ft-lbs is enough for me and I've been using it about 8months multiple times per week and never had an issue, I see no sense in paying 10times that amount for the same thing. Now my socket sets are craftfsmen, because I bought a big kit, but they're worth it because of the lifetime warranty. I've only broken a 3/8" rachet and split two 1/2" sockets, both replaced no questions.

my snap on ratchets don't slip like my craftsman does, the only reason i keep it is because it is part of a toolbox set otherwise i would have thrown it as far as I could have. But I can see why people have so much in tools very easily, even the craftsman/generic specialty tools are expensive

its not the basic set of hand tools that gets you there but then you add in impact tools air ratchets die grinders sanders pressure testers for all sorts of things a good scan tool and yearly updates (if you do diagnostic work) special sockets for sensors special tools for cars with wierd fasteners like vw and audi.... I easily have 20k in my tools and I buy new stuff all the time anything that gets a job done easier/faster is worth buying ( to me at least)

any of you guys have the snap on zero off set wrenches? those things are a god send. $275 for the set kinds sucks but they paid for them self with in a week of getting them. there real long box end. there not on there online catalog or i would post a link.

Guest kissmyaspen

Where do people get $10,000 or even $6,000 in tools. Now I know I'm not an auto mechanic for a living, but even still I've done jobs on countless cars and I don't even have $1,000 in tools to work with. I've always wondered about it and I guess I'm about to find out.

Evan

Thats covers the box my dad has.. :eek: and he has many specialty tools i would say he has over 100k in tools.

only complaint i have is that my 13mm craftsman wrench slips on inner tie rods that are stuck when doing alignments....and i have yet to find a tool guy who can get me the ratcheting chrysler inner tie rod tool.

I used to have the same problem u ntil I bought a set of Snap-On Flank Drive wrenches. Even if you don't want to shell out $400 for hte set. You could get the 13mm and it'll do wonders. I promise you.

Snap on is retarded expensive, but thier ratchets and sockets have yet to fail me. I had a few 3/8 craftman ratchets that bit the big one when I was leaning on them, my 1/4" snap on has no problem even when using a 2' jack handle as a cheater bar and leaning on it (well rusted header bolts, 3/8 couldnt get into the tight space)

Bluepoint is made by snap on, and IIRC so is Kobalt, those have always done me quite well.

Another thing to do, hit the trade in and repo box on the tool trucks, they may not always be the pretiest, but the still carry the lifetime waranty.

All said, I have 5-6k in tools laying around, there is no replacement for haing the right tool for the job.

Hell the one scanner I am looking at is 7500 by it's self. I have a ton of money in tools but not my box. Never realy got into buying the gold wraping paper for the tools. Evan you have to keep in mind for what we pay for a 3/8 rathet from snap on what you could buy a whole kit from sears, but we use the stuff every day and down time from broken or the wrong tools or even one the just doesn't do the job can cost us more than the price of the tool we did not buy