How to turn on AUX inputs on headunit

6 Speed S4

I have a Pioneer DEH-P4800MP headunit. I want to use my ipod with my headunit. I have a mini jack cable plugged into AUX1. I read in the manual that to turn on the AUX inputs you have to press down the function button repeatedly until AUX1/AUX2 come up on the display. I tried it but it doesnt come up. Any idea how to get the imputs turned on?

i had a DEH-P550MP in my old car (still have it, just need to install it) that i had to get a cable for it, and then plug my mp3 player into it. for me to turn the AUX on, it was just like brian said. power it down, then i think it was the "function" button you have to hold for 2-3 seconds and some options will come up...scroll thru those and AUX ON/OFF will come up. turn it on, power deck up, then hit the button that goes from CD/FM1/FM2 and AUX will show up

- Turn power off

- Hold down the multifuction knob (volume knob).

- Scroll thru menus until you can turn on AUX.

But people, if you are in the market for a Pioneer Head Unit, check out the Premier DEH-P980BT. I got mine on E-bay brand new (not refurbished) for $380 shipped. Full color display, integrated Bluetooth (both phone and Bluetooth Audio), Auto EQ, and a ton of other stuff. Of course it still retains all of the features the older models have.

If you have no use for Bluetooth (but come on, any decent phone has Bluetooth now), you can buy the DEH-P780MP and save almost $100. You also don't get the Auto EQ w/ that unit.

And in case any of you didn't know, the Premier units tend to sell for exactly the same (or within a couple of bucks) as the same model standard Pioneer units sell for on E-bay, yet have a longer warranty AND some (not all) of them have an extra feature or two than the Pioneer equivalent. So it makes no sense to buy the Pioneer model.