Anybody hip to Audi's? Need info/opinions

Science Abuse

Looking for a daily, found a 1997 1.8t Quattro. What is the usual cost of ownership on these? I've come to distrust newer Audi's based on a few stories, but how are they overall?

Also, catch: This particular one has an upgrade, a GT28 RS installed and tuned by "ECS/APR development". Does anyone know of this mod or this shop?

I'm looking for a car that I don't have to fK with all the time.

Sorry to continue this conversation from the other board.

In reference to the ECS/APR car. ECS is a great shop located up by cleveland. Done business with them and I'm a satisfied customer.

APR and GIAC are the two big names in Audi Tuning and the only companies that I'd have tune my car.

However my .02 is......while GT28 equipped A4's are a rip (300+hp territory)...they also tend to be fragile as they really push the envelope for power that the 1.8T will handle while still being reliable.

Andy

Sorry to continue this conversation from the other board.

In reference to the ECS/APR car. ECS is a great shop located up by cleveland. Done business with them and I'm a satisfied customer.

APR and GIAC are the two big names in Audi Tuning and the only companies that I'd have tune my car.

However my .02 is......while GT28 equipped A4's are a rip (300+hp territory)...they also tend to be fragile as they really push the envelope for power that the 1.8T will handle while still being reliable.

Andy

Added wear is a concern with any bewsted car. The only reason I'm considerin it is, unlike 3 years ago, I can keep it under 4000rpm 99% of the time and be happy. :) Wear is a funtion of stress over time, If I keep the time down, that should curb the wear, yes? Also, I could take it back up to them and kick it down to 250bhp or so. As Jesse mentioned elsewhere, "development" is a worry. Is that part of their name, or do you think this was a guinea pig car?

True, but with all due respect to the shop, I don't know of any small buisness private entity that actually flog-tests their mules. Reliability studies are too costly. I'd bet 99% of kits out there have just been tested for funtionality. The concern with this car: how many times did they get that wrong and what did it do.

P.S. You guys need drivers? I'll do it cheap, $45k a year, send me wherever. ;)

The 1.8T is really a stout motor..

I would not be concerned with 300 crank HP. For a daily.

The real concern is with clogged oil passages / oil lines.

If the car has low mileage and has documented proof of full synthentic oil changes over its life, I wouldn't hesitate.