Car Review?

FormulaMatt

I need to know a little about the 1996 Camaro Police Edition. I might be getting one of these in the next few days. I know some about camaros, but here is where it gets a little tricky. It was a former Texas Highways Patrol car. He has all documentation confirming this and the police issued driving instruction video to go with it. He has all the maintenance records (I have not looked these over yet) with it as well. The odd thing is, it only has 81,xxx miles. I can only figure it was either a higher up guys car who did not work a lot or it was only used in special "high speed" cases. Or do you think maybe there was something wrong with it? It has long tube headers, 4.10 gears, strut tower brace, auto trans. Since this guy has had it, he put on zo6 wheels, SS spoiler, MSD coil, MSD cap, MSD wires, and a RK sport throttle body. Is there anything I should look out for with this? I know to check the opti junk for leaks from the water pump. Anything else. Thanks.

Yeah its got overdrive, thats the first thing I asked him. It will be a DD for a little while.

Im still trying to find the Transmission Details, but I did find this.

Engine : V8, OHV, front engine RWD

Displacement : 5,667 cc

Valve : 16 valves, 2 valves per cylinder

Transmission : 6-spd manual, 4-spd automatic

Fuel economy : city - 17 mpg(auto)

highway - 27 mpg(auto)

Horsepower : 305-310 hp @ 5200 rpm

Torque : 335-340 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

0-60 mph : 5.7 sec.(auto)

Curb Weight : 3462 lbs

Overall length : 193.2 in.

Wheelbase : 101.1 in.

Overall Width : 74.4 in.

Height : 51.3 in.

He said he thinks cruising at around 70 he is doing 2500, he said he could be wrong but it is something close to that.

I found the info. He must have added the gears, or a previous owner.

5.7 Liter LT1 V8

6-speed manual or 4-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission

Single exhaust and converter with dual tailpipes

Performance suspension

16' aluminum wheels

P245/50ZR-16 speed-rated blackwall tires

4-wheel vented anti-lock disc brakes

3.23:1 limited slip rear axle (automatic transmission)

3.42:1 limited slip rear axle (manual transmission)

Transmission oil cooler (automatic transmission only)

140-amp alternator

525-CCA battery

Air conditioning

150-mph speedometer.

my only other advice would be to make sure it isn't actually 180k miles

...been altered or something

I haven't seen terribly many police cars they've released without a lot of miles on them - no reason to do so?

...unless, like you're thinking - there was something wrong with it

It's been awhile since I've kept up on GM facts BUT if I remember correctly didn't all of the police package cars get the 1LE suspension package.

This consisted of Koni Shocks, bigger sway bars, and a couple other small quirks to set them apart from the standard car.

Andy

Yes on the 1LE suspenison, everything listed plus i believe aluminum driveshaft and frame ties.

Do not worry about the 4.10 gears being to steep. You still should be able to go 150+mph. 2500 at 70 is about right

Make sure the rearend doesn't wine to much because that 7.5" 10 bolt is to small for the car and the bearings wear out. This is probally the reason for the 4.10 gears being installed in the first place.

Police cruisers normally get replaced at about 80k, atleast westervilles do. You also have to figure that the police do a lot of sitting with the car idling even though that is a highway car. there is also probally a lot of interior wear due to the enter and exit with the equipment that officers wear.

after a search

looks like 3:06 first gear in the transmission

and a .75 overdrive unit

i wouldn't have chosen 4:10's for that setup

your first gear is going to be ridiculously short/stupid and your RPM range on the highway will be higher than it should/needs to be

could have went with 3:23 - 3:90 and been much more reasonable - but i don't guess it's a deal breaker

it'll probably squeel tires with ease, just higher RPM than it needs to be