iPod "language and wiring capability?

Science Abuse

Basically, new car has a 6 disk changer in the trunk. Boooo!

Rather then fuck'round in the dash, can an iPod be hooked into the existing wires that go from the CD changer to the head unit? Do they "talk the same talk", or will it not be able to play the data coming from the iPod?

FM Transmitters suck. I hate mine with a raging passion, and only have it because I cant afford a new head unit yet. I hate it when you drive by someone on the same frequency as you and you get what they are listening to. I drove past someone with Sirius the other day and Howard Stern overpowered my J-Rock transmission.

Sorry for the mini-rant, anyway what does the car come with? Some of those companies sell conversion kits to covert CD changers to iPod controllers.

+1^ i know someone that has that but it came with there new deck.

FM Transmitters suck. i would agree the one i had did but with his we drive to mad river and back every weekend and never have a problem but all the other ones i have seen do suck.

There actually is a box that can be used to hook the iPod up to the CD changer port on most head units, and it's not that expensive either. That would probably be your best bet if you don't want to just buy a head unit that's got iPod support built in.

I know if you have an aftermarket stereo, most IPod adapters just use the CD changer controlls. But I am guessing you are using the stock stereo and CD changer, so I doubt at that time you could find one. Your best luck would be to get a new head unit from a newer model Jag (if they haven't changed) if they have the iPod hook ups.

Harman/Kardon premium sound. I'm wondering if I'mm have to look across the pond.

Go to crutchfield.com and search for 108DP1US

Click Harman Kardon DP1US

Drive + Play Total iPod Controller $99.99

Is this what you are looking for?

It has wires if your radio has an Aux in port. Otherwise it is FM transmitter

Eric, don't listen to these fools talking about FM Transmiters. Crappy sound even if you don't have to worry about the other issues anyone else has brought up.

If you can find an 'ipod adapter' and you want to drop the dough, do it. It will be nice to have control from your radio. Otherwise, give me a call, I can figure something out.