Ebay question

wnaplay1647545503

I bid $6001 on a vehicle that sold for $6001 but I did not win. How is this possible? Ebay seems to be alot different now than I remember it just a few short months ago. It seems like the whole thing has been made into a big scam. I get emails all the time while bidding that do not jive with the auctions. And I know these are from people who are trying to get me to fill in information. And it even seems like sellers have figured out ways to manipulate their own auctions.

I guess what happened was, I placed a high bid of $6001 at the beginning of the auction. With 5 mins left on the auction, the seller lowered the reserve to $1 above what my current offer was. Which at the time was $5901. I recieved an email telling me I was $1 away from meeting the sellers new reserve price. I assumed it was someone phishing for info since what is the chance of the new reserve being $1 over my offer. Well I guess sellers can lower the reserve on ebay motor auctions at anytime. When the reserve is lowered, an email is sent to the high bidder asking for $1 to see if you are still interested. Its set up so the bidder sees the reserve hasnt been met, bids on something else and the original seller lowers the reserve making the bidder the actual winner. I declined to make the new offer which reset my maximum to $5901 instead of my original $6001. With 1 min left a new bidder made the offer of $6001 and won. Had I of reconfimed, I would have won since I made the first offer. So now I am looking for another 2002 trailblazer for $6000.