R1_MP

V-Twin vs 4 Stroke  

31 members have voted

1. 1. V-Twin vs 4 Stroke

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously havent heard my lil' beast.

It sounds so good it'll my your junk twitch.:D

i like v twins no doubt. but the v twin is more common then the triple so thats why the triple wins out!

it wont be the sound that makes my junk twitch its the vibration coming off those damn v twin motors

I was reviewing the votes and got to thinking (I know, bad JRMMiii, no! No!)

I think the poll needs to be modified somewhat - or at least taken with a grain of salt.

Some people that have voted have never been on inlines, and some have never been on vtwins. I know I've never been on the triple or the v4, so it would be helpful to figure out, of the people that have been on both which they prefer, or if they voted the way they did just because that's the only thing they've ever ridden. Some people have posted their experiences, but it's not very conveniently summarized.

Ok, I'm done whining....in this thread...for now.

i like v twins no doubt. but the v twin is more common then the triple so thats why the triple wins out!

it wont be the sound that makes my junk twitch its the vibration coming off those damn v twin motors

Yeah i hear that alot from cruiser dudes. i really have no vibration at all.

I havent been around too many triples. I watched 2 Daytonas pull in at QSL and they were so quiet i just figured they were hybrids.

Yeah i hear that alot from cruiser dudes. i really have no vibration at all.

I havent been around too many triples. I watched 2 Daytonas pull in at QSL and they were so quiet i just figured they were hybrids.

they must have been putting. be the sexiest tone is the mix of the exhaust and the intake noise its really only noticable when riding. come down to coshocton and ill let u guys take her around the block... thats all it will take for u to fall in love:leghump:

Youre the resident expert on 3's here. so i'll take your word in it. I guesshave to hear yours come spring.

im no expert but i love my triple and have rode alot of 4's the only twins ive road are harleys. dont get me wrong i love sportbike twins growl but the only twin i would own would be the 1098 with the trigimonni (sp) exhaust.

if the mfg's would spend the money to actually balance the away the balance shaft would be a moot point. In fact if you do balance the rotating assy you can cut off the drive gras and toss the shaft and have a smother running engine that weighs less and has less rotating inertia.

However odd fire POS v twinkies like HD makes will never balance, it's a uncorrectable problem when using a common pin on a screwed angle motor. V motors are on a specific angle split for a reason, to make them even fire, therfore smother running. however once your above a certain RPM the vibes kinda all mesh together and you don't notice it unless your at a specific rpm range where they will show up again.

im no expert but i love my triple and have rode alot of 4's the only twins ive road are harleys. dont get me wrong i love sportbike twins growl but the only twin i would own would be the 1098 with the trigimonni (sp) exhaust.

I'll let you take the RC51 for a spin if I can ride that triple.

It's heavy, but fun as hell to ride.

I can guess at a couple of reasons the RC51 was dropped.

Poor sales - all the people look at the hp specs of the bike and decide 133 isn't enough, when you can get a CBR1000RR that's not only got higher dyno numbers, it's less porky. The starboyz don't rock vtwins, they rock the I4s. Sad that image is still king.

Factory support dropped - 2003, when WSBK changed the rules to allow 4 cylinder 1000cc bikes compete.

Even so, I want one, BAD. Insurance is crazy on those bikes though. Rough numbers I got before I finally bought the SV:

Quote for Hayabusa and SV1000 = $450

Quote for Hayabusa and RC51 = $1000

I can guess at a couple of reasons the RC51 was dropped.

Poor sales - all the people look at the hp specs of the bike and decide 133 isn't enough, when you can get a CBR1000RR that's not only got higher dyno numbers, it's less porky. The starboyz don't rock vtwins, they rock the I4s. Sad that image is still king.

Factory support dropped - 2003, when WSBK changed the rules to allow 4 cylinder 1000cc bikes compete.

Even so, I want one, BAD. Insurance is crazy on those bikes though. Rough numbers I got before I finally bought the SV:

Quote for Hayabusa and SV1000 = $450

Quote for Hayabusa and RC51 = $1000

Actually, it is more due to the way the bikes were made. In-lines were lighter and more powerful. They tried to race the TLRs and RC51s and yet, they were old technology rather quickly.

It has nothing to do with stunters and such. Racing on Sunday sells units on Monday still holds true. The technology and the fact that these bikes have to go on two year cycles or die is something that killed them.

I can provide you with enough examples of good V-Twins of that time. Ducati had a killer machine back then...

Good friend of mine was the first racer to score a win on the TLR, too. It just wasn't a bike that could be made to go fast and they couldn't shave enough weight for it to compete against the other machines in it's class...