Quick turn throttle

xtremef4i

• 2 months later...

ive got a 1/4 turn and love it. for both the street and when i took it to the track. annoying haing to reposition ur hand when the time comes. on the trumpie i can use either a r1 tube or the triumph spirnt (i think thats the right model) i went with the triumph model one just to make sure there wouldnt be possible sticking issues...

this is a really nice and cheap mod i did this using 2 zip ties some puddy, small screws from HD and a unibit. the thickness of the zip ties and number of zip ties you use will determine the lobe diameter.

here is a pic for those interested.

throttlemod2ve1.jpg

throttlemod6lz4.jpg

Again, for like $10-$12 at a Yamaha dealer, you can turn your GSXR 1/4 throttle tube into an 1/8 or 3/16 and not have zip tyes and screws and putty in your throttle housing...

Might be cool for the street kids, but any of you track day guys (where this mod even makes sense) doing the home made version, send me your throttle tube and I will make you one. Send me $12 and I'll toss your stock one over my shoulder and buy one from the Yamaha dealer... I'll include a free grip as well!;)

Again, for like $10-$12 at a Yamaha dealer, you can turn your GSXR 1/4 throttle tube into an 1/8 or 3/16 and not have zip tyes and screws and putty in your throttle housing...

Might be cool for the street kids, but any of you track day guys (where this mod even makes sense) doing the home made version, send me your throttle tube and I will make you one. Send me $12 and I'll toss your stock one over my shoulder and buy one from the Yamaha dealer... I'll include a free grip as well!;)

The problem with the yami is the size of the tube is not the same as oem for one and two you are restricted to 1/5 & 1/6 tubes.

If your happy with the yami tube enjoy, i spend about $0.80 for my screws and a little bit of my time and some ingenuity to do the same thing and can always change it to say 1/7th or go back to stock.

cheers

Actually the cable does not make contact there and the picture is not the last one i took that day which shows the end of the top zip tie tapered off so there is no contact at all between the cable and the end... Like i said if you want to use the r1/r6 knock yourself out. I have done this bike to all my bikes and 40,000 miles on my last bike no issues

cheer

The problem with the yami is the size of the tube is not the same as oem for one and two you are restricted to 1/5 & 1/6 tubes.

If your happy with the yami tube enjoy, i spend about $0.80 for my screws and a little bit of my time and some ingenuity to do the same thing and can always change it to say 1/7th or go back to stock.

cheers

Actually, the R6 tube is 1/8th - not recommended for a liter bike and the R1 is the in between which is 3/16ths. A lot of racers use these tubes and they work fine. Trust me...

But, what do I know, right?:rolleyes:

Actually the cable does not make contact there and the picture is not the last one i took that day which shows the end of the top zip tie tapered off so there is no contact at all between the cable and the end... Like i said if you want to use the r1/r6 knock yourself out. I have done this bike to all my bikes and 40,000 miles on my last bike no issues

cheer

It would make contact as the cable comes from the inside area outwards.

40,000 miles is cool, but it only takes one time and it isn't too cool... Track day guys like Adam aren't going to want to do this mod at all. Stick with a throttle tube kit that you can buy...

As far as what I was saying, again - it is for GSXRs. Not sure what the other guys do...

Actually, the R6 tube is 1/8th - not recommended for a liter bike and the R1 is the in between which is 3/16ths. A lot of racers use these tubes and they work fine. Trust me...

But, what do I know, right?:rolleyes:

Not a yami guy so if you say 1/8th and 3/16th good on you. everyone else states 1/5 - 1/6 on other forums...

It would make contact as the cable comes from the inside area outwards.

40,000 miles is cool, but it only takes one time and it isn't too cool... Track day guys like Adam aren't going to want to do this mod at all. Stick with a throttle tube kit that you can buy...

As far as what I was saying, again - it is for GSXRs. Not sure what the other guys do...

Again it does not make contact, until you do this mod as i have done and racked up the miles I have then its a matter of your opinion and nothing to back it up. I have proved 40k miles and not a single problem.

If you want to use a r1/r6 go right ahead and knock yourself out.

Not a yami guy so if you say 1/8th and 3/16th good on you. everyone else states 1/5 - 1/6 on other forums....

Where are reputal guys saying they are that ratio? 3/16 is pretty close to 1/5 so they may have vague info. 1/6 I think is older stuff...

Where was this stated? Let me guess - the vast knowledge base found on gixxer.com?

Well like i said im not a Yami guy so you are probably correct here the 1/5 & 1/6 is pretty much most forums from r1-forum r6-forum gixxer.com hayabusa.org 1000rr.net and a few others. i suspect its easer to say 1/5 then 3/16 but you seem pretty knowledgeable about the Yami so well call it 1/8th and 3/16th for arguments sake

Of all the research I have done, it seems like for a Honda, if you dont want to spend big bucks on an HRC or other aftermarket racing kit, the only thing to do is modify the stock throttle tube, either with zip ties or pvc pipe. I wish the Hondas could be a direct swap like the Yamaha/Suzuki