Wireless Signal overlay on Google Earth.

flounder

So for the next security project Im on for work, one of my responsibilities will be to use GPS and wardrive and overlay wireless access points and their signal strength onto google earth for the client. Basically you have a GPS unit that is tied to the wireless sniffer software you use to log longitude and latitude during your perimeter analysis. Then you have to parse out the data into a kml file so that google earth can use it. Today I managed to get everything running and, I walked around the courtyard outside just to make sure the GPS, sniffer, and parsing script to generate the overlays was working right.. There were tons of AP’s but I just put a few on the map to show what the overlays look like. I will also do circular overlays as well for range but like I said, this was just a test to see if I could get everything running right.. Pretty cool actually. Gotta love google earth.

Test1.jpg

Test2.jpg

So for the next security project Im on for work, one of my responsibilities will be to use GPS and wardrive and overlay wireless access points and their signal strength onto google earth for the client. Basically you have a GPS unit that is tied to the wireless sniffer software you use to log longitude and latitude during your perimeter analysis. Then you have to parse out the data into a kml file so that google earth can use it. Today I managed to get everything running and, I walked around the courtyard outside just to make sure the GPS, sniffer, and parsing script to generate the overlays was working right.. There were tons of AP’s but I just put a few on the map to show what the overlays look like. I will also do circular overlays as well for range but like I said, this was just a test to see if I could get everything running right.. Pretty cool actually. Gotta love google earth.

Test1.jpg

Test2.jpg

im confused :confused:

is it a map of how far ur wireless router reaches? fu€k im really confused it thats not what it is.

Basically, I use a GPS and integrate into other software so that I can create a visual representation of exactly how far your wireless access point emits a signal. This one was done in an open courtyard but try and imagine if their were buildings there and I drove around them, I could pinpoint exactly which buildings or homes have which access points and then use that data to narrow down my targets for further attack. I will create one this weekend of me driving around my block and then overlay it to show how I can pinpoint access points into each individual apartment. Granted I am using a significantly stronger antenna that hackers would typically use so that they can gain access to a network from a much greater distance then what the antenna built into your laptop would allow.

Edited by flounder

is this just. A hobby or will they eventually map all of Columbus? The state? What's the final desired outcome with this, which is damn neat BTW.

This was just a test to make sure I could get everything working correctly. I will be doing this for a client real soon as part of a vulnerability assessment of their entire wireless infrastructure at a bunch of their locations.

This helps to show how far their signal extends outside of their buildings should a hacker decide to sit in the parking lot or across the street and try and gain access to their network or data traversing the Wireless network.

Whats the hight difference? is that signal strength?

Signal strength? Good. I was wondering if that was the range straight up (not) and how you got there. :lol:

I've war-driven my neighborhood, and we have war-walked at work. Amazing is the lack of security. geez... Also amazing is just how many access points are out there all around us.

Signal strength? Good. I was wondering if that was the range straight up (not) and how you got there. :lol:

I've war-driven my neighborhood, and we have war-walked at work. Amazing is the lack of security. geez... Also amazing is just how many access points are out there all around us.

Yeah... and WEP is a joke, I can crack a WEP access point in about 5-10 min depending on how much traffic is going across it when I start attacking and depending if they are using 64 or 128 bit encryption. Recently they just found a way to mathematically crack WPA TKIP as well. Prior way was brute forcing which took ridiculous amounts of time and computing power.

Even with the home encrypted AP's that are using strong encryption, most people still use weak PW on the router itself and those can generally be cracked as well.

yeah... And wep is a joke, i can crack a wep access point in about 5-10 min depending on how much traffic is going across it when i start attacking and depending if they are using 64 or 128 bit encryption. Recently they just found a way to mathematically crack wpa tkip as well. Prior way was brute forcing which took ridiculous amounts of time and computing power.

Even with the home encrypted ap's that are using strong encryption, most people still use weak pw on the router itself and those can generally be cracked as well.

nerds!