Ohio Riders Sticker in American Motorcyclist (AMA Magazine)

Paddy O Furniture

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry im new, what are GFC guys?

But glad youre representing the Westervillians.:cool:

GoatFuCkers

:lol: j/k

Congrats on making it in the mag! Let me know if you need some additional funding for next year! I can probably send you like $10-12... let me know your Paypal!

So if i do a full season in 09 with WERA it will cost me around 50 grand??? DAM! I will find a way! Also do big sponsers come to you ar do u have to search them out? I think if i do well next season i will need the $$$$$ help!

If you don't know you better start looking for a few years down the road or start winning every race you enter by ALOT.Getting a sponsor a good is hard work and keeping one isn't that easy either.

So if i do a full season in 09 with WERA it will cost me around 50 grand??? DAM! I will find a way! Also do big sponsers come to you ar do u have to search them out? I think if i do well next season i will need the $$$$$ help!

to run at the pace I do against the guys I do, for an entire season competitively, yes. To do it right you need atleast 2 bikes fully built and ready to go, that's 15k a pop IF you have some very good hookups like I do. And then you're gonna wanna be on new rubber everytime you hit the track, so I run 6 classes a weekend, maybe 7. that's 4 practices on sunday and 7 races. you can get away with 2 rears and a front in the practices, and then 7 new sets for the races. so that's a lot of cash in tires, now if you do win, then you have a chance to pay for all that with contingency, but you have to win, and Pirelli paid SHIT this year. You're then gonna have routine engine maintenance to your built motors, expect 2 rebuilds per each motor depending on how many rounds you are making. Now calculate in all your expenses to just get to the races, most are gonna be 5+hours away and if you don't have a motorhome then you gotta choose to pitch a tent or pony up for a hotel. I only did 2 races this year and spent $3k in tires, and 1k in fuel(didnt use all the fuel ofcourse). and dont get me started about AMA weekends. I'm kinda thankful my shit was broke during mid-o, or I would've dropped a TON of coin

this is just for the regional stuff, if you wanna do WERA nationals, add in extra long trips and an entire day of qualifying(fuel,tires,time on motors), not to mention if you throw the thing down the track a few times you got repairs. I bought a second bike as a back up and ended up destroying the racebike and having to start from scratch again, reusing suspension and built motor(which blew up during testing)

Edited by owndjoo

as far as sponsors go. the only reason i have a chance at major sponsorship is due to my close friends owning a very large parts distribution and sales company. i have quite a few smaller sponsors(motorex,vp fuels, monster energy, suomy helmets, chickenhawk, etc.) that give great discounts on parts and some free merch. but that doesn't do a whole lot. roadracing is by far the most expensive and least paying motorsport i have ever done.

It's just me and a few of my buddies. We all race, BMX,Road Race, or MX. We are pretty famous with some of the people around here, mainly the younger age group. we like to party

Guess im too old.:D

but big ups for doing what your doing.

Look, if you run a regional program at the novice level, don't go thinking it is going to cost $50k. It doesn't. Hell, there are a lot of experts that can run a regional program for under $50k and do very well.

At the National WERA level. MAYBE.

Sponsors are NOT going to dish out 6 figures to anyone unless they have some really good idea of what's going on. Too often, people are passionate about the sport and want to help. They throw out plans to help and when they realize the cost, they back down.

There are MANY top National WERA guys who are not getting 6 figures. If you have a sugar sponsor out there you know willing to do so like Drew seemingly did, get it all in writing and make sure you don't get put out to dry. It's easy to have happen.

As for the regular other sponsors out there, think about this. A company typically spends 1/2 of the in flow of profits into marketing. 1/2 that budget gets put to race support and related. So, $100k is a LOT to put into a program w/o knowing results. You better have some really big results to show in order to warrant that amount.

MX riders and Road Race guys get $500k let's say from Yamaha. That's a big dollar amount. They are top level guys out there. Privateers who get support from the factories usually get nothing except product. That has a value, but nothing close.

There are top guys that don't get such support. Not saying you couldn't be like some and luck out, but realize it is not something remotely typical. Rare is a better word.

But, Brandon - don't give up in thinking you need $50k to race. Now, you want to be the top runner in regional expert class? You need big bucks. The amount has skyrocketed. A lot of the regional guys spend National amounts of money and never really compete with the National guys except one off times. It's crazy that regionally, they dump that kind of money into programs for little to no recognition.

But, racing ain't cheap. Never has been. The old saying "Wanna make a million in racing? You have to spend 2 million to do it." applies...

my goal for 09 is to dominate the novice class lol. I know i will have to pay the price,but i can do it! I just want to be an expert and then i will be happy. I really dont like white plates,but at least i will have made it there! I spent nearly $15000 this past season and i'm saving for 09!