Thinking about moving...

wolfman

...out of state possibly.

To make a short story even shorter there isn't shit for jobs in Columbus for somebody with a physics degree. If I don't find something in the next couple months I'll probably end up moving out of state. I'm thinking Virgina/DC area, Colorado (probably Denver) or the Left Coast... I'm looking for a places with nice roads and decent weather for riding so I can start looking for a job there. Any suggestions? Opinions on what I've listed? :dunno:

left coast should be out. its gonna fall in the ocean eventually.

Yup, that's my main concern with Cali...that and I don't know if I would like the congestion. I lived in Atlanta for 7 years and that was way too congested for my liking. I'm only considering Cali b/c I have a few friends out there and the riding is great.

I second the Raleigh NC area. But Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake would be way more fun. Sandia National Laboratories and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory come to mind. There's a Sandia in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Atomic General in San Diego. Any job with Lockheed or Northrup Grumman. And a bunch of stuff in the Huntsville Alabama area, but it rains over 200 days a year in Northern Alabama. Wetter than the Seattle area. I hope your security clearances are top notch if you want to work at one of these places.

Yup, I was looking at LLNL and it looks nice. They do some fusion research there that would be of interest to me. Also, looking at National Renewable Energy Lab in Colorado.. I like the suggestions guys...keep them coming. Definitely going to be checking into the Raleigh area.

...out of state possibly.

To make a short story even shorter there isn't shit for jobs in Columbus for somebody with a physics degree. If I don't find something in the next couple months I'll probably end up moving out of state. I'm thinking Virgina/DC area, Colorado (probably Denver) or the Left Coast... I'm looking for a places with nice roads and decent weather for riding so I can start looking for a job there. Any suggestions? Opinions on what I've listed? :dunno:

The left coast would be perfect for you.

Although if you couldn't handle the traffic in Atlanta, you'll be totally fucked in California.

texas seems to be nice, and has nice laws. I like the fact you can shoot and kill people that steal your neighbors property, and you can kill people who try to rob you on your property. I read about a guy at mcdonalds that blew a robbers head clean off, and was a hero! here they will put your ass in jail for shooting a robber or someone attempting to murder you! In ohio, the ohio law makers would like to give the criminals the guns, and put YOU in jail if you shot someone breaking into your own house. I hate ohio.

Edited by 12oclocker

go down to Battelle, and ask for the job listings book at the front desk...

or

https://recruitp.battelle.org/whalecom4abb772a55ed2bc363d2f2a2325f3a1d0936bedf/whalecom1/eng/candidates/

example:

https://recruitp.battelle.org/whalecom4abb772a55ed2bc363d2f2a2325f3a1d0936bedf/whalecom1/eng/candidates/default.cfm?szCategory=jobprofile&szOrderID=15114&szCandidateID=0&szSearchWords=&szReturnToSearch=1

Don't forget that most places ask for more education, experience, etc than they are really looking for. That allows them to turn people away. Allows them to pay less in bargaining. Or if the pay is a bit low in the first place, they will take anyone they can get that will be able to do the job. Oddly, this means that if you apply for jobs that you are actually qualified for, you often won't get the job. If you apply a bit over what you are actually qualified for, you get their attention. Cover letters make or break the deal. My favorite cover letter phrase was "... this sounds just like what I've been doing for several years..." , a winner to get an interview. Turn an interview with the human resources weenie to the technical side after a little bit, and gently push for a talk with the engineering manager or supervisor.

Cali is awesome. Every young lad should experience it.

yeah I liked San Diego while I was there briefly... but denver now thats a town... my Mom lives there, every time i visit I go riding into the mountains.... breathtaking views, and great roads.... plus awesome winters there too.... now if you really wanna get exotic, mind the traffic tho.... Tokyo, japan is totally awesome, plus you can pretty much get all over the island in hours... and there are some awesome sights to see there... and the women..... need I say more??

Don't forget that most places ask for more education, experience, etc than they are really looking for. That allows them to turn people away. Allows them to pay less in bargaining. Or if the pay is a bit low in the first place, they will take anyone they can get that will be able to do the job. Oddly, this means that if you apply for jobs that you are actually qualified for, you often won't get the job. If you apply a bit over what you are actually qualified for, you get their attention. Cover letters make or break the deal. My favorite cover letter phrase was "... this sounds just like what I've been doing for several years..." , a winner to get an interview. Turn an interview with the human resources weenie to the technical side after a little bit, and gently push for a talk with the engineering manager or supervisor.

Ah yes, Battelle...I have applied to about half dozen jobs there so far and still no luck. You make a good point about applying to jobs that are asking for a little bit more experience/education...I had never thought of it that way. I've actually seen the job posting that you posted but hadn't applied to it for that reason.

yeah I liked San Diego while I was there briefly... but denver now thats a town... my Mom lives there, every time i visit I go riding into the mountains.... breathtaking views, and great roads.... plus awesome winters there too.... now if you really wanna get exotic, mind the traffic tho.... Tokyo, japan is totally awesome, plus you can pretty much get all over the island in hours... and there are some awesome sights to see there... and the women..... need I say more??

I like to snowmobile, mountain bike, hike, etc. so I thought Denver would be a pretty good fit for all that. Now Tokyo would be interesting, but I don't know if I'm prepared for that much of change...yet.

Yup, that's my main concern with Cali...that and I don't know if I would like the congestion. I lived in Atlanta for 7 years and that was way too congested for my liking. I'm only considering Cali b/c I have a few friends out there and the riding is great.

I was going to relocate out to Southern Cal this past June so in 2007 I traveled out to Cali SEVERAL times. I have tons of family and friends out there from Marina Del Rey to San Diego to Lake Elsinore. I rented a car EVERY time I went out to see how I would waver in the traffic. I am a very impatient person and could not take it. My ex lives in woodland hills (san fern valley) and he can only afford to live out there comfortably b/c he can charge $400/hr for his services. My cousin who has a limited education just moved back to Ohio last month b/c she couldn't find work making more than 15 or 16 an hour ANYWHERE. Now IF you think that is good money you would be surprised who expensive the houses are. She was paying $1500 a month for a 600 sq ft apartment. I looked at some smaller condos in orange county/Irvine area and could NOT find anything for less than $500,000 per 1000 sq. ft. My ex's mortgage was $14000 a month for 4000 sq ft.

My friends that live in marina del rey rent 1500 sq ft to house their 3 kids and they pay $4000 a month for their mortgage. My cousin lives in lake elsinore (kinda a ummm well different area to live in to be nice) and he paid $420,000 for an 1800 sq ft house with half an acre lot. He had to remodel the entire home. He drives 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way to work every day b/c he has to go through the mountains to get over to orange county.

Traffic....lets see bike move in and out of traffic like lunatics. You are allowed to drive in between cars when everyone else is in a dead lock. Scary stuff b/c at ANY time someone could open their car door, etc and there you are riding at 50 +++ mph. There are fatalities almost daily in southern cal.

Furthermore, on a friday morning (around 10 am...NOT rush hour traffic) it took me 3 hours to get from Laguna beach (my absolutely favorite place in southern cal) to san pedro which is right by catalina island.

Even with my education and training I would have only made an extra 20K a year which would NOT have offset the cost of living out there.

Anyhoo, hope some of this helps.

Obviously I decided to stay in Ohio....the housing market didn't help either. :mad:

And to top off everything I wrote up there......everyone is soooo pretentious out there. I am too down to earth to deal with them people every day. I like you wanted to move to somewhere warm that I could ride every day of the year. FYI, I like to run and when I visited there in the summer, especially august I had to have my run in my 6 or 7 or I couldn't tolerate the heat. Either desert heat or winter....pick ur poison.