Thinking about moving...

wolfman

I had offers for aerospace jobs in Cali, but a little research showed that engineers are dirt in California. Maybe too many of them, in the LA area. But when a high school kid working a parts counter selling Japanese car parts, makes the same as an aerospace engineer; no thanks. Keep it, I don't want it. And I used to live out there.

On the other hand, I've heard and seen nothing but good things about Colorado. I like the Colorado Springs area. Mandatory to have a dual sport out there, lots of mountain dirt roads . Wolfman, there must be something out there related to the US Air Force. And honestly, the Bakersfield area up in the high desert of Cali is totally different. Affordable and lots of high tech jobs. A physics degree should get you into an aerospace firm doing some sort of analysis on structures and materials. Also, up around Sacramento the cost of living is the about the same as Columbus, Ohio. Or was the last time I checked.

One more, the dream job would be in New Mexico at the new spaceport being built. Mostly the Virgin Galactic spaceplane and Burt Rutan spacecraft right now. But hopefully the future will see a lot of rapid growth in the spaceport area. All high tech jobs.

http://www.spaceportamerica.com/

Plus they will have the Rocket Racing League. If they are going to race rocket planes, I'm going to be there to see it. Still no opening date set for the first air race. It all appears to be at least two years more.

http://www.rocketracingleague.com/

And to top off everything I wrote up there......everyone is soooo pretentious out there. I am too down to earth to deal with them people every day.

Thanks for all the info! Your post pretty much hit on all the points that I thought would bother me. I'm still going to go out there soon and visit some of my friends and see for myself, but I'm thinking it would be too much for me.

On the other hand, I've heard and seen nothing but good things about Colorado. I like the Colorado Springs area. Mandatory to have a dual sport out there, lots of mountain dirt roads . Wolfman, there must be something out there related to the US Air Force. And honestly, the Bakersfield area up in the high desert of Cali is totally different. Affordable and lots of high tech jobs. A physics degree should get you into an aerospace firm doing some sort of analysis on structures and materials. Also, up around Sacramento the cost of living is the about the same as Columbus, Ohio. Or was the last time I checked.

Mmm, dual sport...that would be a good time. I haven't thought about looking in the aerospace sector for a job. If I stay in Ohio, I'm not going to be as picky about the job b/c I plan to return to school eventually....just not at the moment. If I move, it will hopefully be for an energy related job.

Thanks for all the info! Your post pretty much hit on all the points that I thought would bother me. I'm still going to go out there soon and visit some of my friends and see for myself, but I'm thinking it would be too much for me.

Dude it is what you make of it. I loved it and never had any problems.

i lived in an area of Oceanside that had alot of Samoan folks. They were the most awesome people i had ever met. IMO, you will always have shitty neighbors where ever you go. just a fact of life. but dont count it out. its really an amazing place. just do like Princess and take a trip out and prospect it. get your own feel for it.

Aerospace isn't much of a steady job. Paycheck is good, but too project oriented. Politics change, and then everyone gets laid-off. But they do pay well for additional education. We used to call ourselves technical mercenaries. Always having to move around to stay working. Research institutions are more likely to offer a life long job. All companies now have the bad habit of getting rid of people just before they hit the 5 years of employment, when the company owes retirement to the employee per federal law. Thanks Congress, messed another law up beyond belief.

• 1 year later...

Try looking into jobs with osu. Employees get 10 free credit hours a quarter. If you must move I agree with a lot of people here the Raleigh area is really nice. Lived there when I was younger and miss it a lot. I have family still in the Cary area and they still love it. Pollen sucks in spring so watch out if you have allergies and be prepared to give your bike lots of baths.

You might PM exSRAaron. I'm pretty sure they were good friends so he might still keep in touch. I'm sure Eric is on forums elsewhere....

I only rode with him 1 or 2 times as well but they were two of the first guys I ever met up with. Very nice.

I distinctly remember that MJ had just picked up her 500 at the time but she hadn't been riding long enough to go with us to Dayton or wherever we were headed......

It was about 8 months after I joined actuuuually.... and yes, he is a cool dude. I didn't take many rides my first summer riding, I was scared I was going to cause someone else to wreck. That might have been the ride that he borrowed the kawi for though... :dunno:

Edited by OsuMj

I used to live in the Northern Virginia area, Loudoun County specifically, and my parents and in-laws still do. If traffic, pretentious people, and politics gnaw at you, stay away from the DC area. My family and I make the trip down there several times per year, and every time I go, I find that there are more people cramming themselves into the area every year. The cost of living is high, the commuting roads suck, and people are generally rude and focused on the 16 inches directly around their heads.

VA does have some great roads, but it can be a collossal PITA to get to them. My tollerance for the greater Baltimore, Washington D.C. area is about a week. Any more than that, and I can feel the life being sucked out of me. Don't get me wrong, it is a great place to visit. Crappy place to live and raise a family, but a great place to visit.

I second the Raleigh NC area. But Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake would be way more fun. Sandia National Laboratories and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory come to mind. There's a Sandia in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Atomic General in San Diego. Any job with Lockheed or Northrup Grumman. And a bunch of stuff in the Huntsville Alabama area, but it rains over 200 days a year in Northern Alabama. Wetter than the Seattle area. I hope your security clearances are top notch if you want to work at one of these places.

Do not listen to Recon china lake is not a fun place to be. There's better places to be for work and social shit. You listed jobs as the first reason you want out of Cbus but have you looked at jobs at the other places.

USAjobs is the one place to look for DoD/ktr jobs. You're major defense contractors are great if you have a connection on the inside to get your resume pushed around and circulated. If not you better have all the right buzzwords on your resume.

NavAir is up at pax river Maryland and is ok. Have you tried with the major university research facilities? JJ pickle is connected with UT in Austin Texas and the town is awesome to boot.

My advice would be to fun the job first before moving. ESP if you're looking at DC Virginia area it's already expensive as fuck to live there

It was about 8 months after I joined actuuuually.... and yes, he is a cool dude. I didn't take many rides my first summer riding, I was scared I was going to cause someone else to wreck. That might have been the ride that he borrowed the kawi for though... :dunno:

Yep, he did.

so what happened to the guy?

I only read the first post, looked at the date, and skipped to "last page."

I found it funny though that he was looking at the DC/VA area. I have about 8 friends who live just outside DC, and all but two of them are desperate to move away from the traffic and high cost of living. (the first two move back next month!)

the two who want to stay produce TV news, so a large metro market is essential for their livelihood.

I here Denver is tits.

The nice thing about "West, but not too West," is that there's just tons of room.

The Denver airport is 45 miles from anything. They have the space to do that. I would bet working there would involve a longish commute, but no significant traffic. Kind of the opposite of NYC or DC.