Bike Keeps Cutting Off....WHY???????

gsxr-reese-614

I need help.

I was bout to get on my bike last night (98 gsxr 750) and when i put it in first gear, i moved about 5 feet and then it cut off on me. I started it up again and i noticed that i wasn't able to shift back down into neutral. i had to turn the bike off and throw it in neutral that way.

I got on the bike again this morning before coming to work to see if it would do it again, and it did the same thing. The only thing i've done recently was add 2 qts of oil to it about 3 days ago (i'm about 98% sure i did that right).

I stopped by Bikes2NV this morning to see if they had any suggestions and they said it could be something as simple as a kickstand switch gone bad or he said it could be the transmission.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

I need help.

I was bout to get on my bike last night (98 gsxr 750) and when i put it in first gear, i moved about 5 feet and then it cut off on me. I started it up again and i noticed that i wasn't able to shift back down into neutral. i had to turn the bike off and throw it in neutral that way.

I got on the bike again this morning before coming to work to see if it would do it again, and it did the same thing. The only thing i've done recently was add 2 qts of oil to it about 3 days ago (i'm about 98% sure i did that right).

I stopped by Bikes2NV this morning to see if they had any suggestions and they said it could be something as simple as a kickstand switch gone bad or he said it could be the transmission.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

[/quote:ed40f]

AS he stated make sure the oil level is allways up

Then check

1)Side stand switch.

2)Clutch lever position switch (on your lever under it).

3)gear position switch.

Make sure all the connectors are tight hardware etc.. if your not sure and have a ohm meter i can give you the values..

First thing I would do is make sure the oil level is correct. Then you can check your kickstand switch by making sure it moves in compleatly. Other than that, the clutch could be bad, or the tranny....

Have you been taking spelling lessons from asian.

if it was your kickstand switch it would not make it 1" inch. The second you put it into gear it would shut off. If it was your clutch switch it would not start in the first place because you have to pull it in just to start it.

if it was your kickstand switch it would not make it 1" inch. The second you put it into gear it would shut off. If it was your clutch switch it would not start in the first place because you have to pull it in just to start it.

I agree it wouldnt do much but have seen these switches fail in a way where they make enough contact to make the machine cut out due to heat .Thats why i felt he should still check them.It would be great if he could do a ohms value on them.Im no expert but have worked on GSXRs since 87 seen alot of things...

First thing I would do is make sure the oil level is correct. Then you can check your kickstand switch by making sure it moves in compleatly. Other than that, the clutch could be bad, or the tranny....

Have you been taking spelling lessons from asian.

Who have you been taking grammar lessons from???

I'm pretty sure you meant to say:

Have you been taking spelling lessons from Asian?

[/quote:1d0aa]

If it was your clutch switch it would not start in the first place because you have to pull it in just to start it.

Not true. You can start in neutral without pulling the clutch.

Maurice, right? Where's your bike at? I can come take a look at it with you.

sorry satan you are wrong. with the gsxrs you have to have the clutch lever in no matter if it is in neutral or not.

Really??? No shit??? That fucking sucks. That's one of those little things that would piss me off. I've never ridden a bike that you couldn't start in neutral without using the clutch. Even my old Katana, old Maxim, my buddies R1, my ZX10, Carie's CBR600RR, dude's Harley, etc. Stupid gixxers.

i agree with you 100% i think that it is the stupidest thing to. i think that it should just start in n w/out the clutch. every other company is like that.

flounder is the new 1k like that too?

the clutch switch thing is a safety measure for people that disable or remove their kickstand switch so it doesnt lurch forward when you try and start it in gear.

I am going to guess that his clutch lever is way out of adjustment.

First of all BIKES2NV Sucks I have never delt with anyone that would talk so much shit about crappy parts to try to sell something way overpriced Never never go there.

My case in point WTF a kickstand switch That pisses me off so bad that they would make that shit up... Im putting that they suck in my Sig.

Ok for something alittle more constructive.....

Why did you put 2 quarts of oils in the bike?

Was it leaking?

if it wasnt't chances are you way overfilled it...this would cause the crank to froth up the oil and creat alot of undo pressure in the crank case... The good news is the engine has a pressure value bad news is it vents into the air box...thank the wonderful EPA... All oil that is blown out of the engine has to be reclaimed so that means out the block and into the intake. you GSXR is cold blooded as it is ...gotta love the carbrators dont miss mine... anyways Im willing to bet that you are pumping oil into the intake and your choking the crap out of the bike and it just stalls out cause oil doesnt burn as good as gas. pop out the air filter and feel around the air box for oil... Or get a center stand and check the oil the right way.

I know all this becaus e I just got freaked out and did alittle reseach cause I overfilled the busa by less that 1/2 a quart

i agree w the overfilled idea .over filled my vt 1100 by 3/4 of a quart due to not remembering

fill on level ground on a centerstand or atv jack ... ran like shit at idle and even worse off idle..

it was coughing oil into the breather tank and into the carbs... mobil one burns like crap .. cant imagine what two quarts would do on a inline four or the like.... also just a thought ...

the problem could be a leaking clutch master cylinder ... it could slowly bleed away pressure until it killed the engine and then be hard to change gears until you released and pulled the clutch again . might be something to check...

bikes to nv

hmmmmmmm....

more like bikes that kill

i bought my father in laws old vt1100 when he bought his new

vtx1300 .. i went over the 1100 w a fine tooth comb after i got it home to

howard from lancaster where he lives and was very surprised to find

bolts on the handle bar riser clamps tightened wrong and the headlight

mount torqued due to not in recess on one side and the front brake line holder

at the bottom of the triple tree turned the wrong way so everytime you turned hard

rt it would scratch the frame cover in front of the tank ...

my father in law took this bike to btnv for all work until

i told him about this and now he takes his new bike to the dealer ..

i know its expensive but i dont have the time to work on his bike too and

he has never even changed the oil on his bikes sad to say... :(

one day there gonna forget to tighten an axle bolt and splat

try a checklist if your that busy guys...

the clutch switch thing is a safety measure for people that disable or remove their kickstand switch so it doesnt lurch forward when you try and start it in gear.

I am going to guess that his clutch lever is way out of adjustment.

Yep look who called it! I fuckin rock so I get some dancin bananas :banana::banana::banana::banana: