bmw reliability?

evan9381

so im just trying to get some ideas...a few years back, my dad had a 93 325i and it was at around 150k miles when i killed it. :(. i loved the car, even being 13 years old.

now, ive been pondering the thought of getting a new used car, and im looking into something around a 2001 model year (or 2000...whatever year got the new styling), 3 series, would prefer a 325-330...ive found a few in my price range with around 70-80k miles.

now i DO know that if shit breaks, its gonna cost me an arm and a leg to get repairs done. if the car is kept fairly stock (i dont plan on doing any engine mods, maybe some cosmetic and suspension mods), can i plan on the engine running good for another 70k miles with regular maintenence?

as far as engines are concerned, you have no need to worry unless a previous owner has gone out of their way to neglect the motor. Most dealers will do a Pre Purchase Inspection for you (Kelly or MAG, whichever is closer) to make sure that the car is on the up-and-up.

At around the 70K mileage mark you're going to be right at the time when many maintenance items need to be replaced, and if you don't do your own work...they'll be pretty expensive. I'm not sure about the standard 3 series models, but I know that all the M cars need to have the entire front control arms replaced when the ball joints go out. It'll likely be coming up on replacement time for the radiator and water pump (usually 60-80K miles) so check for maintenance records to see if it's been done. Of course these items are not very different than any other car of that age, the parts just cost a bit more.

1999 was the first year for the e46 3-series. You may look around to see if there are any BMW CPO cars around that still carry a warranty (03ish probably).

Either way taking any possible car to the stealer for a PPI is well worth the money.

The e46 3 series started in model year 1999.

In 2001, they switched from 323i and 328i to the 325i and the 330i with a modest increase in horsepower for both.

In 2002, they gave the 4-door a refreshening with different headlights, front bumper and rear bumper and taillights.

You may be able to find a CPO from a dealer around here, probably a 2003 or newer.

The most common things I see on those cars are the valve cover gaskets leaking, the thermostat housings leaking and the foward rear control arm bushings / A arms. Seems like mass air meters are becomming a common thing too. The biggest thing to look for is under the oil cap, just like audis you can tell if the person has let the oil changes go for a while by looking for crud in the valve cover and under the cap.

My '02 330i was annoying always breaking something. Don't forget the control arms usually go bad around 40k miles on them too. The main reason I traded it in was maintenence cost.