Heating and cooling question? Help!!

fooswinger

Alright well It seems like it's nice and cool downstairs but upstairs it's hardly cooling off. Do my pipes need cleared out or something? I'm gonna buy a new filter and see if that helps. Is a Tune up for you cooling system really worth the money? What all do you get?

Let me know

depending on how old your furnace is you may need to turn the blower speed up for summer......

if its not adjustable try a couple of things partial close your lower vents (cold falls so pump most of it upstairs first) also if the furnace is old enough to have a pilot light turn off the gas at the furnace so the inlet air is not being heated...

hth

check the duct work down in the basement for the little handles that open and close them on the inside. Usually within a few feet of the main trunk. I bet one or more are closed.

Alright well It seems like it's nice and cool downstairs but upstairs it's hardly cooling off. Do my pipes need cleared out or something? I'm gonna buy a new filter and see if that helps. Is a Tune up for you cooling system really worth the money? What all do you get?

Let me know

Answer these questions first:

1. Is it cooling at all?

2. When was the last time the filter was replaced?

3. Do you need to shut some of the ducts downstairs? (Since cool air always travels down)

4. Can you shut any doors or even put up a curtain to keep some of that cold air in the upper floors?

If this doesn't work and you do not have the $$$$ to replace your AC (which is going to be expensive) try installing an attic fan to move the hot air out of your attic and upper floors and create some circulation.

28 years on an AC unit is a LONG time. It might need replaced :(.