Those Born 1930-1979

RedLudeSH

Could be a repost, but good none the less :)

Those Born 1930-1979

TO ALL THE KIDS

WHO SURVIVED the

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they

were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get

tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs

covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we

rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention,t he risks we took

hitchhiking

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster

seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and

NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with

sugar, but we weren't overweight because .

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !<

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were

back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down

the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no

150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's,

no cell

phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us

forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and

tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out

very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and kn ocked on the door or

rangthe bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't

had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem

solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

It's amazing how the whole "going outside and playing" thing seems to have disappeared. I grew up in the 80s, and I got in trouble a lot of staying out past my curfew. On the weekends I would be gone all day, so my mom made me at least check in once every few hours.

Soooooooo different nowadays.

It's amazing how the whole "going outside and playing" thing seems to have disappeared. I grew up in the 80s, and I got in trouble a lot of staying out past my curfew. On the weekends I would be gone all day, so my mom made me at least check in once every few hours.

I agree I was a 80's baby and had a curfew on the weekdays and on the weekends my mom just wanted to know where I was and I could stay out as long as I wanted..

Guest Mushijobah
Old people rule!!! You guys sure had everything figured out! Kids still go outside and play if they are normal. If your kids do not, they are probably nerds and you are bad parents. Give yourselves a big round-o-applause for your misfit children, they develop their anti-social habits from, you guessed it!

I was out playing stick ball once for 6 hours. It was really windy that day. When I came home to eat, my mom said my eyes looked all glassed over and thought I had been smoking pot. To this day I have never tried it, or wanted to. I got grounded for 2 weeks, just because. Drugs are bad, mkay.

Guest Mushijobah
I was out playing stick ball once for 6 hours. It was really windy that day. When I came home to eat, my mom said my eyes looked all glassed over and thought I had been smoking pot. To this day I have never tried it, or wanted to. I got grounded for 2 weeks, just because. Drugs are bad, mkay.

Suuure.

I've never smoked or did anything other then Drink, and I waited till I was 21 for that. :)

It's amazing how things have changed, When I was my sons age I literally played from the time I woke up till the it got dark every day in the summer. I can't imagine my son doing anything outside for an extended period of time now for fear some freak is going to kidnap him lol. :(

Funny you should post something like this. I was just talking about how much kids have changed yesterday.

Last Friday, I left for work at 6:30, like I do every day. I pulled out onto the street, and stopped for a school bus. The bus sat there with its red lights flashing for a good 30 seconds before I even saw anyone walking to the bus. Now, when I say walking; I mean walking. They didn't even attempt to walk "briskly". The same slow pimp-swagger was used all the way to their seats on the bus. Amazing. They'd have left us in a heartbeat 20 years ago. Hell, even the school thugs ran to catch the bus in my day.

HELL YEAH!. I remeber I had to be in by street lights and there were times my parents took away my bike because I was not in on time. Did that mean i stayed inside hell no. I walked, Then I got a moped. Then i gained weight.

One of the better ones was The sports team one. I did not make the team for baseball that failure caused me toi practice hard to make it and still suck. But thats better then being put on because they did not want to hurt my feelings. and playing and the team losing because again they dont want to hurt feelings.

SURVIAL OF THE FITTEST! What happened to get awarded for doing something special. Now they give out a award at school thing s for everything. ..... WTF is the next generations gonna be like?..

BUT on the other side.

Video games took me from some kid with no goals in life to someone who got into computers.

americans are getting so pussy now, kid's dont do shit and sit inside all day. and from your generation their political douchebags. and EVERYTHING has to politically correct and god forbid we offend someone. Thanks fuckers! :nono:

Grammar check.

Now that thats of the way. I was born in 80, I walked to school by myself in the elementary years. I was told to go out and play. I made dirt sandwiches, and jumped my friend's ATV's and dirtbikes with little regard to my own personal safety. We even set up a trampoline under my buddies roof, and set to fly like idiots off the roof. All while still having the time to play three sports, and with leftover time to watch Transformers, Voltron, and Robotech like my life depended on it.

Oh and I played Nintendo like jesus christ was handing out free passes to heaven to the kid who played the longest (A habit I keep to this day). Somehow it all worked out and I had a great time.

I agree that children are far more sheltered now than ever before. Though having a new child of my own I now understand why. I want nothing but to protect her. When I think of the shit I pulled as a child (lets not even bring up my adolescence) I'm amazed I wasn't more seriously injured at some point in my life.

Add to the random idiocy of being young, the constant stream of psychos, and sickos that are perpetually coming out of the woodwork on a near daily basis, the world seems like a scary place to bring a child into.

(even if violent crime as a whole was down-trending from 93-98, then on a near stready line to this day, I'm not sure of specific crime trends involving children)

puff, puff, pass maaaaann - Chris Tucker

I was bon in 69, and was 8 in 76' when it was the countrys Bicentenial, best year of my life, I swear the entire year was full of fireworks, and the smell of gunpowder was everywhere from all the kids buying fireworks from the icecream man. That summer I woke up at 8, was out the door by 9, and me and my friends would play football/baseball, and sometimes even go swimming before the sun went down, and after that we would all crash at one anothers house, as long as mom and dad could call and find us, all was good, I remember many mornings when my dad would get up at 6am to go to work, and find me and 7 or 8 of my friends crashed out in the living room (we were first to have cable on the block) all was good.

Now although my door is open to all my kids friends, its nothing like it was, and I'm sorry to say will never be again, blame it on technology, blame it on sicko's who need to have their dick's cut off, any way you slice it, it is a shame.

Oh and Hal, my dad was a heavy smoker, but I never tried them either, now you know someone else.