Saturn Rattling noise from engine bay

87GT

94 SL2 automatic 159K miles

I have replaced all 4 motor mounts, replaced timing chain teeth gears pulleys tensioner and cam gasket. I still get a rattling sound when in drive or reverse at a full stop.

My other belt tensioner (like on the serpentine belt) will shimmy when idling but it is not bad enough to break the belt or anything. It just looks old and warn out I had a mechanic look at them and he said not to worry about the belt breaking. I just put on new serpentine belt about 3 months ago.

Is this other tensioner causing this rattling sound? It doesn't sound like a diesel engine. It sounds like almost a heat sink not screwed in enough and it rattles with the vibration from an engine. After the timing chain was replaced it is not as bad but it is still noticeable. It is especially loud with the window down and next to a building (like in McD's drive thru). Should I just not worry about the sound? I don't want anything to break.

Still have the converter on it? If it's never been changed, sometimes (after 150K!) the catalyst itself will rattle inside the can - worse at idle in most cases. It can sound like it's coming from underhood. Just a thought.

I don't think it was ever changed. But I have only had this for a few months. Could it be anything else?

I think I'm going to be free next weekend Eric. If you want me to try to take a gander at it.

Ok I will give you a call if I don't figure it out by then. Brittney's car seems to be OK. It hasn't had a starting issue in a few days. I just can't get the spark plugs loose. Which doesn't make sense with all that oil in there to lube it up. I am going to buy a better wrench this weekend and try it.

listened to it friday night and def sounded like a rattling heat shield but it was the one over the cat sound was coming flex pipe or right about it was unable to see if there was a heat shield there thou

You must of been drinking because I couldn't find a period in your... reply. :D:D:D

Thanks for looking at it though. :)