Ford/Mustang questions

Martin

So ive been thinking about what i want to buy next for my car and im thinking about an aluminum driveshaft. does anybody no how much lighter an aluminum one is compared to the stock 98 driveshafts. ive also been thinking about the carbon fiber one but that just seems like a waste of 600 bucks

this is the one ive been looking at. if u know of cheaper ones, feel free to fill me in

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=M4602J%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%201&comp=LRS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're a fair amount lighter than the stock steel unit, but I doubt you'd see alot of gain from it. Mostly it's a good upgrade in strength and it's always a good idea to reduce reciprocating mass... but usually something like this I would only spend money on if you already need a driveshaft anyway (like when I bent mine).

If you're looking to make a really significant change by reducing the weight of something, your money would be better spent on an aluminum flywheel if anything. Really lightweight wheels can make a somewhat noticeable difference as well.

ive been through this in the classroom with getting a new car and how i paid cheap money for what i have. i dont care about the money thing casue im not worried about it right now and when i blow this engine then ill drop a 4.6L in it. matches right up.

You won't see any gains from an aluminum driveshaft.

The only reason people get them mainly is due to vibrations encountered after putting new gears in because the driveshaft will be spinning a lot faster, causing it (with the weight) to be slightly out of balance or fucks up the U-joints. OR they are making some sick power. Even still you rarely hear of it being a priority.

I have never heard of anyone putting them in in attempt to gain power or simply go faster. For the 1hp you might see, is $200+ dollars worth it? No.

I don't know what kind of ricer shit you see that makes you think an aluminum driveshaft will make you go faster.

Guest Removed

turbos, uber charger, or some spray or v-8 swap(many too choose from there)

fuck the drive shaft, wait for it too break, then worry about replacing it.

I mean this in the nicest possible way....fuck modifying a turd. I dumped about $2k into a 99 Dakota v6. It was louder, but that was it. It was a complete waste of money.

IMO, buy some juice. If a Zex Dry Kit will work, I know where you can get one for about $400 with a hellova lot of extras!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Why are people wasting time on this thread... Including me... this shit is retarded... Go buy a flux capacitor instead of the driveshaft and hit 88mph so you can go back in time and smack yourself right before you pushed the new thread button... Ok... I hope this helps...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/iceman1234t/noob9ha.jpg

A fun upgrade would be putting on the 4.2 platform and swapping the heads. It can be done realtivly cheap. Also a Ebay CAI would give you a little better throttle response, I also suggest a exhaust.

On my 95 mustang 3.8 I ran str8 pipe. Was kinda loud but ehh what the hell. Another descent mod is gears.

Why are people wasting time on this thread... Including me... this shit is retarded... Go buy a flux capacitor instead of the driveshaft and hit 88mph so you can go back in time and stop your parents from breeding... Ok... I hope this helps...

/FIXED

thorne, i thought we have already been through this about the exhuast and the CAI and the gears and the fuel lines and what ever else. Guys thanks for the info on how to spend a shit load of money but all i realy wanted to know is how much the difference is between the stock driveshaft to the new aluminum ones. now that were so off topic i probably wont ever get my answer. by the way im not going to spray and im not going the turbo route either. you guys can try to talk some sense into me and try to tell me to sell my car but im not going to.