engine problems... any ideas?

cptn janks

on my 93 EX500...

it doesnt want to rev past 5000 RPM. if i take it slow, once i hit 4th gear, and 5K the bike just falls on its face. wont acellerate, and it starts misfiring...

if i wind it out in the first 3 gears, and shift above 5K, it will run fine until 5th gear when it gets down around 5-6K again...

ive cleaned the carbs, all passages are clear. new plugs and wires. coils check out ok with the multimeter. plugs are gapped correctly.

any ideas?

I can't recall for certain , but don't the mains open around 5-6K? Maybe it is mis-jetted or there is a problem with the float bowl level.

When is starts acting up, does it seem to be running rich?

Other ideas: Fuel filter, bad gas?

ill have to double check the float height and the fuel level... IIRC it was within spec, but i will check it again.

fuel filter is fairly new, and i dont think the gas is bad, but it may be worth the 6 bucks to drain it and fill it up with new, to see what happens.

stock jets, vance and hines pipe. it was like that when i bought it. but its run fine with no rejetting... just some fiddling with the pilot screws and it gets rid of the flat spot down low.

it happens at any RPM if i go to full throttle.

if im just tooling along, it will happen once the bike hits around 5K rpm.

have you looked at the airfilter, if its fucked up it will throw the a/f mixture way way off. and you'll have that problem. If you changed the air filter, like the put the little cones on each carb, they will need to be rejetted.