anyone planning a trip??

88lx5oh

is anybody looking to go some distance this year??

im interested in taking a weekend trip somewhere. maybe the smokey mountains, or something. now that i got a bike comfortable enough to ride a pretty good distance i wanna enjoy it. so any suggestions, anybody already planning something?? ill be up for pretty much anything as soon as i get my windshield, bags, and sissy bar on.

ive been wanting to do a trip this year too... i was thinking of heading east into WV and then into VA, and going south on skyline drive through shenandoah natl park, then taking the blue ridge parkway down until the end, then tooling around the smokies and maybe hit up the dragon, then a leisurely ride back north through tennessee and kentucky.

if i had my way, id try to do the whole thing sticking to the state routes, and not getting on the freeway at all.

another trip i plan on taking (albeit probably in my car) is north through detroit into canada, go around lake huron, and come back into the states in sault ste. marie. then hit up the UP for a while, then come back south through wisconsin, through green bay and take the ferry across from manitowoc to ludington, then back home :)

ive been wanting to do a trip this year too... i was thinking of heading east into WV and then into VA, and going south on skyline drive through shenandoah natl park, then taking the blue ridge parkway down until the end, then tooling around the smokies and maybe hit up the dragon, then a leisurely ride back north through tennessee and kentucky.

if i had my way, id try to do the whole thing sticking to the state routes, and not getting on the freeway at all.

i like this idea.

have any idea of how long a trip that actually is??

skyline drive is about 100 miles long, then where it ends at rockfish gap is the beginning of the blue ridge parkway. from there its about 470 miles south until it ends in cherokee, NC.

so thats almost 600 miles right there. google maps says its about 400 miles (on the freeway) from columbus to front royal, VA which is the start of skyline drive. then it says 500 or so miles from cherokee to columbus... again on the freeway.

so thats 1500 miles right there. add a few more, if you want to stick to the state routes/back roads and not get on the freeway.

also, the speed limit on the blue ridge parkway is 45MPH, and 35MPH on skyline drive.

if they catch you speeding on skyline, you WILL get a ticket, in addition to a stern lecture about speeding on a road that is frequented by wildlife, bicycles and hikers.

plus, its a federal offense (as its a national park) so if you dont pay it, you could get in some serious shit probably.

you can go to www.gmap-pedometer.com and plot the route you wish to take, and it will give you the milage of it.

if I were doing it, id take no less than a week. probably two. there is tons of shit to see and do around there, especially if you like to do nature stuff like hiking and camping.