Gas prices goin' back up again....Coincidence???

Fonzie

It's just hit $1.99 here. We are behind the times out in the corn.

Yeah.....That's what it is here too. Was down to about $1.75. That was WONDERFUL!!!

Oh it'll go back up slowly but surely. the election is over, the holidays are coming.
In my most naive voice....."But gee Trapp.....What do those things have to do with production & refinery costs?!? I'm confused why gas would go up because of social/political events!" ;):rolleyes:

I'm really suprised it didn't shoot back up right after the election. The republicans main supporters were Oil companies.
DING!!!....Fries are done! However, they didn't want to make it that OBVIOUS to the sheeple out there

Gas prices had dropped steadily here for the last month or 2......Not just since the election. Which made me theorize the same thing.........

Since Bush & Cheney are so heavy into the oil industry.......Could they have influenced prices enough to try & appease the angry mob of sheeple into resisting the "Change" message before the election

Edited by Fonzie

Always a conspiracy with you. Ha! "Obvious to the sheeple" - explain that? Why don't we ask the flip side? Why did it drop down so much right before and leading up to the election?

The oil companies, with their high energy costs, are shooting themselves in the foot. It's economics. As alternative energy becomes cheaper, people will migrate to that. Oil companies need to strike a balance between the cost of energy they offer versus alternative forms. Now that Barack is going to man the helm and pushes alternative energy, the oil companies are in a position that will force them to drive costs down to maintain their competitiveness in the market (other factors will mitigate this, like the health of the entire economy and the switching costs associated).

The only concern is that they create an artificial market and drive costs down so much that investing in alternative forms isn't economical anymore. This has happened before and one of the reasons why we don't have an alternative to the petroleum infrastructure at present. We're now caught with our pants down - I don't think it'll happen again.

I said this would happen, I posted it on the board, sucks cause since the crash all the post are gone, but yeah, last election was the same deal, prices went down during the election, then back up afterward.

Well.......Out & about tonight, and I noticed that gas has gone up $.20-25/gallon since last night. Coincidence that the election was about a week ago????

Time will tell

Oh it'll go back up slowly but surely. the election is over, the holidays are coming.

I agree. I think the gas stations are just trying to maximize profit for the Holidays. Right now the price per barrel is about 60% less than it was earlier in the summer. Gas Stations largest profit margin is from what people buy in their store (snacks, pop, etc) and with the way the economy is right now, consumers are not making the extra purchases.

By charging .20cents more a gallon they are profiting while gas is still looking cheap to us. Here in Columbus I have seen gas range from $1.77 to $1.97, all in about a 5mile radius.

I just read in USA Today that gas prices are going to stay low thru 2009. In summary, it said the national average for regular unleaded is $2.37. The paper said that the US was decreasing oil use by 1.1 million barrels/day all due to the bad economy. The article was pretty assuring that the current gas prices would stay pretty much steady thru 09. Same goes for natural gas we use to heat our homes. I guess they overestimated heating usage and the raising natural gas prices we have been threatened with arent going to raise much at all.

From what I gather from the article, We are going to be sitting pretty for at least another year with cheap gas prices that we had 2-3 years ago. :)

Always a conspiracy with you. Ha! "Obvious to the sheeple" - explain that?

My definition would be......People who blindly believe in our government, and don't question things presented to us, nor believe there are higher/darker elements to it that are only out for their own benefit....Not "The peoples'"

Why don't we ask the flip side? Why did it drop down so much right before and leading up to the election?

I already addressed that above Justin ;)

The oil companies, with their high energy costs, are shooting themselves in the foot. It's economics. As alternative energy becomes cheaper, people will migrate to that. Oil companies need to strike a balance between the cost of energy they offer versus alternative forms. Now that Barack is going to man the helm and pushes alternative energy, the oil companies are in a position that will force them to drive costs down to maintain their competitiveness in the market (other factors will mitigate this, like the health of the entire economy and the switching costs associated).

I TRULY hope you're right about this Justin!!!!

The only concern is that they create an artificial market and drive costs down so much that investing in alternative forms isn't economical anymore. This has happened before and one of the reasons why we don't have an alternative to the petroleum infrastructure at present. We're now caught with our pants down - I don't think it'll happen again.

I TRULY hope you're wrong about this!!

I just read in USA Today that gas prices are going to stay low thru 2009. In summary, it said the national average for regular unleaded is $2.37. The paper said that the US was decreasing oil use by 1.1 million barrels/day all due to the bad economy. The article was pretty assuring that the current gas prices would stay pretty much steady thru 09. Same goes for natural gas we use to heat our homes. I guess they overestimated heating usage and the raising natural gas prices we have been threatened with arent going to raise much at all.

From what I gather from the article, We are going to be sitting pretty for at least another year with cheap gas prices that we had 2-3 years ago. :)

I TRULY hope you're right too!! ;)

Like I said above.......Time will tell

I bought gas for the cheapest I had in a while last night. 1.82 udf in enon. I know we are acustom to cheap gas but other countries have been paying 4 and 5 dollars a gallon for years. And we bitch about 3.45 I am not saying it doesn't suck but the rest of the world pays more than that and they don't cry

so why did the gas prices drop last election? and the election before that?

I also seem to recall it dropping in '04. My guess would be the same reason.....So Bush could maintain office against Kerry, who until the Swiftboat campaign sank his ass in the final month.....Was looking strong to win.

I don't remember gas prices in '00, but if there was a slump, my guess would be because Bush was slugging it out with "Mr. Energy Conscience" & future Nobel winner.......Al Gore ;)

Edited by Fonzie

I bought gas for the cheapest I had in a while last night. 1.82 udf in enon. I know we are acustom to cheap gas but other countries have been paying 4 and 5 dollars a gallon for years. And we bitch about 3.45 I am not saying it doesn't suck but the rest of the world pays more than that and they don't cry

Other than China recently.....The rest of the world doesn't use as much of it as we do

Fuck...I better fill today....1.78

Don't forget......If anybody's got a Kroger fuel card, and spent at least $50 in groceries this month.......You get $.20 off per gallon!

I got it for $1.63 there the other night :eek:

Don't forget......If anybody's got a Kroger fuel card, and spent at least $50 in groceries this month.......You get $.20 off per gallon!

I got it for $1.63 there the other night :eek:

Giant Eagle owns that...She Putty and I get gas for less than a buck