Help with buyer a larger car/SUV, price/mpg is issue.

Bam

Ok, I've dealt with it as long as I think I can, I NEED a bigger vehicle, so something boring just to get the job done unfortunately is probably what I'll end up with. With my daughter growing up, and all the necessary things to haul around, plus wanting to take our bikes etc is just too hard in a little 4 door.

I loathe soccer moms with a huge SUV for no purpose, so I don't want something huge, nor can I afford that, but I need more room and it'll probably only come in the form of an SUV.

I really don't want to spend over $20k just for budget reasons, and would prefer new/newer. I'd also like mid 20mpg+, my car gets high 20's and its fine, but no 10-14mpg truck for me, I'd go broke.

I thought about Nissan Xterras, Ford Escapes, Toyota 4Runners, etc, but are there any larger cars that I could think about? Or other SUV/Crossover cars? New would be awesome, but a year or two old with under 40k -ish miles would be fine.

Any ideas?

We have an 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser. Stickers for 30,303.00 and advertised MPG of about 17-19. I paid less than that, and last tank got 22.5mpg driving speed limits. Its 4 door, plenty of room inside, rides great, looks awesome, very reliable, tows good, off roads great.

If you want used, 4Runners are going for low 20ks. Very nice trucks, but are somewhat small inside. I can't tell you much about other brands, but if I had a say, I would tell you to get Toyota.

yeah, $30k is a tad high, lol, but they are awesome looking trucks imo. I thought about a newbody GTP, since I had an 01 a couple years ago and liked it, but I just remember getting like high teens/low 20's for mpg, it sucked.

Guest Mushijobah
Pathfinder, Used, Certified with a 100k mile warranty. Trailblazer LTZ, same deal. Buying new is retarded unless you are ridiculously wealthy and just don't care about being ripped off...

yeah, i looked at an Envoy today, it was nice, just seemed big, but I guess that's what I need. Pathfinders are a good idea, i'll have to check into them, thanks for the help. I didn't mean brand new, but I don't want like high miles or 5+years old, I don't want to have to worry about it as my daily.

hyundai santa fe or the newer tuscon. good gas mileage, big, but not huge, and a looooong warranty

just checked a couple things.

on the santa fe there are 2 engine choices, the 2.7 v6 or the 3.3v6

fwd-

3.3l 19 city, 24 hwy.

2.7l 21 city, 26 hwy.

it also has options for AWD with the following specs

2.7 21 city, 25 hwy.

3.3 19 city, 24 hwy

you should be able to get a pretty loaded model for 24ish. remove some of the options and take advantage of any rebates/special financing, it should get you close to what you want to spend.

ive said it here before, if youre looking for something simple and reliable, hyundai is coming up. i had an 03 elantra that was great to me, and just got rid of my integra for another one. my mom also just picked up an 07 elantra (the new style) last week and loves it.

agree with evan hyundai is killing it these days and they are gettin very reliable.

id stay away from a ford SUV, tranny problems are found quite often.

nissan pathfinders are great vehicles though

4 runners are pretty sweet.

id stay with an import for obvious reasons.

id say Honda CRV but the old ones are kinda ugly and the new ones a little pricey.

Pilots are out of your price range as well, but they are pimp.

Stop by here at Saturn West. We have some nice Saturn Vues on our pre-owned lot. They are very peppy and good with gas (the 3.5 V6 is a Honda motor) and I think they look pretty good.

We have an 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser. Stickers for 30,303.00 and advertised MPG of about 17-19. I paid less than that, and last tank got 22.5mpg driving speed limits. Its 4 door, plenty of room inside, rides great, looks awesome, very reliable, tows good, off roads great.

If you want used, 4Runners are going for low 20ks. Very nice trucks, but are somewhat small inside. I can't tell you much about other brands, but if I had a say, I would tell you to get Toyota.

I came in here to say 4Runner. I don't know of any SUV's or trucks that will give you better than low 20's gas milage. I think the new bodystyle 4Runner started in 04, you should be able to get an 04 or 05 in your price range. The 4.0 Liter they are using is a great engine, the only downside is that it requires premium gas. I think they can be found with 4.7 V8, but I'm not at all sure on that, maybe Joe would know.

I have been looking really hard at the Jeep Patriot. It's a crossover, not a "real" truck by any means (tows up to 2K), but it's AWD with a lockable center dif so that it's actualy 4WD as well. It seems to have a good combination of features and still gets in the mid 20mpg range equipped with all the cool stuff.

get a chrysler minivan

mine has almost 400k on it now hauls anything I want is perfect for the kid and gets decent mileage too

+1 on the minivan. As much as I hate it it is nice get decent gas mileage and can haul everything we need. But it is a minivan so it does suck.

Minivan with a towing package. Get the bike rack that goes in the hitch reciver.

Yes, it is a minivan, and we will make fun of you for it. But you will be getting much better fuel economy.

Or save alot on the purchase price and get an early - mid 90s Suburban. With the 5.7 you have penty of power to tow something, parts galore and cheap, easy maintenance, and 16/20 (we got about 17 MPG hauling a 4 place snowmobile trailer) if you arent trying to launch at every light.

my mom has an 2007 cherokee 3.7 gets about 12mpg haha dont get that and if you get a cherokee go all out and get the srt8.

Escapes aren,t bad a couple of my friends have the 3.0 ones, not bad on gas decent power and just a good daily driver kinda a girl car tho in my opinion.

you dont need an suv to move bikes. I've taken bikes on my bikerack on my gti numerous times. I have no problem with 2 bikes on the back.

Not just bikes man, my cars so small that I can't even lay down her stroller in the back, so i have to angle it and it basically takes up the entire trunk area. Plus she's getting bigger and I have had to adjust my seat straighter/move it forward to where its less comfortable and I can't really go any farther and be able to shift fine. Plus, she's got toys/things I can't put on a bike rack but are big enough that take up half the trunk w/out a stroller, and you kinda take that a lot of places, lol.

I'd love a wagon, you can knock me for that but I think the 02.5+ Passat's and Audi Avant wagons are dope, and would look awesome with like 18's and a slight drop. ;) But....I hate the fact that they're maintence pigs, and I can't really find any other 'cool' looking wagons i like.

I did think about a minivan, but I didn't want my daily to be that, lol. My buddy has a Toyota Sienna and that thing has some balls off the line, and has good room inside.

I'm off friday/sat/sun and will be shopping around/test driving to hopefully find something I like. I've NEVER owned anything but a car and a manual trans, and now I'm going to something that won't handle well and will be a slushbox, fun fun, I've still got the bike I guess, I just need to buy a small trailer for it and I'm set.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I didn't think about Saturn/Hyundai, and not sure how comfortable I am buying one, but I guess I shouldn't knock them without checking them out first.

NurkVinny, was that Equinox new or used for that price? if used, what miles? Just curious...

Matt

Sounds like a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 is the best bang for the buck for your needs. They can be bought for low-$20's NEW even cheaper used. FWD and AWD models available and they both get 25+MPG (30-hwy)....

I haven't checked out the CRV's, or the newer Rav4's, but I remember a friend had like a 98 back in the day and that thing felt cramped to shit, have they made the new ones larger?

agree with evan hyundai is killing it these days and they are gettin very reliable.

id stay away from a ford SUV, tranny problems are found quite often.

nissan pathfinders are great vehicles though

4 runners are pretty sweet.

id stay with an import for obvious reasons.

id say Honda CRV but the old ones are kinda ugly and the new ones a little pricey.

Pilots are out of your price range as well, but they are pimp.

You posted both CRV and Pilot, but what's the box one from Honda called? I'm drawing a blank right now but I think it might be a good size, anyone?

I know it sucks but as others have already mentioned, a minivan is the best bang for the buck when it comes to size and capacity.

Back in 03 we bought a Mazda MPV (smaller minivan) but it was only $21k loaded with power doors, etc....everything but leather. Not sure what they go for today. I have a good friend at Byers (dare I say that name here) but he's very cool and will be straight with you. Loved ours. Was pretty sharp. 4yr warranty...true it's a Ford Motor, but it was a 200hp V6 and did well for us. http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/29515522/medium

I had a Vue and won't recommend them. Was my last co. car. 3.5V6 by Honda was it's only good point. Rattled like a trap at 60k when they pulled me out and into the Chrysler T&C. Got 29mpg on the highway though for a 250hp motor that was awesome. Hauled butt too. Little too small though.

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/43142691

I really like the new SantaFe's. Think they did a great job restyling them. Warranty and pricing are good and now they look nice too. Not sure on size/mpgs.

I also liked the Equinox LT. That was a choice for a company car for me. Only reason I didn't choose it was that the van offered more room. Back seat in the LT was great for adults as they have lots of leg room. Still a little small being mid-sized, but that's your call not mine. They do very well for us that use them for co. cars and beat on them. That's a proven thing I look at. If they hold up to a fleet use at a large company, they must be good.

Good Luck. I grew up in the car biz and still know lots of folks if you need help down the road. Just PM me.

How do you like your GTP for kids? I had an 01 back in the day, but it didn't get good gas mileage, but with mods and how I drove, that might've been my fault, decent trunk though I remember, but the new ones, like yours look bigger, can you haul decent stuff?