Suggest topics for persuasive presentation?

Bam

I've got to do a persuasive speech for my final in speech class, and I was going to do something one of these...

Why old people shouldn't be allowed to drive, or at least be tested annually

Or

Changing the legal drinking age

Or

something about abortion.

but the 1st two are already chosen and she said I can't do the 3rd, I'm running out of time and strapped for idea's. Anything really, just easy to find info on/nothing to technical.

thanks for any ideas

Try to come up with something that you don't give two shits about either way. That way, it will be easier to come up with opposing view points, and build in arguments against them before anyone else can bring them up, assuming the teacher will try to argue a couple points just to see how well prepared you are. If you use a topic that you feel passionately about, its more difficult to be objective.

I personally enjoy using viewpoints that go against social norms, in an effort to annoy people. You could argue that Affirmative Action is racist, or that a 10 party government would be better for the people, or that trans fats are less harmful than drinking diet coke, etc. Something thats in the news now or recently, so that people will have some sort of a clue as to what you are talking about.

And don't forget, just because you are making an argument, its not about being right, its about arguing in a way that people can't make a rebuttal. If you use the right words, you can convince people that the Nazi's were trying to save mankind.

Wow Mike, that's some good info! Thanks for that, you sound so sure of yourself and seem like you could convince me of anything, lol. I *think* I've decided to persuade why video game violence is unnecessary and wrong. I think I should be able to provide quite a few examples of where video games were portrayed through people's actions, in a violent manner.

thanks guys. always looking for an idea, but mikes post really got me thinking, at first I was only thinking about things I believed in and whatnot, but he made a lot of sense.

You could write a paper about how people leaving more and more kids in daycare is not good compared to past generations where a parent stayed home.

How voilence in TV and games doesn't affect people its just nutcases looking for excused (ie school shooters )

You could write a paper about how people leaving more and more kids in daycare is not good compared to past generations where a parent stayed home.

I could, but that's me. :( Being a single parent doesn't really afford you the luxury of staying home with your soon to be 2 year old, and trust me, its painful to know that she spends more time at daycare than with me, it sucks, but yeah, i don't want to get started on that, touchy subject for me.

The easiest one i ever did was against the death penalty. That speech wrote itself.I'm not a human rights activist or a hippy by any means, its just more cost effective from the states standpoint. Cost accrued by countless appeals> the cost to send them to jail for life.

Wow Mike, that's some good info! Thanks for that, you sound so sure of yourself and seem like you could convince me of anything, lol. I *think* I've decided to persuade why video game violence is unnecessary and wrong. I think I should be able to provide quite a few examples of where video games were portrayed through people's actions, in a violent manner.

thanks guys. always looking for an idea, but mikes post really got me thinking, at first I was only thinking about things I believed in and whatnot, but he made a lot of sense.

Video game violence is a necessity in modern America in order to keep real life violence at a minimum. Human nature dictates that we be violent in order to accomplish self-preservation of the race, kill or be killed. Modern America is relatively safe, and we have plenty of food, which means that we can't advance without suppressing our violent instincts.

For most people, this isn't such a big deal. Education has helped society learn how to cope with these feelings, but it can't help everyone. Having a release for these feelings helps keep people from finding a more dangerous, more violent outlet.

Many people have, at some time in their life, felt the desire to kill. It's part of being human. Would it not be better for society to give this person a bloody video game killing aliens, where no real person gets injured? Or would it be better to cut out this distraction, allowing the person to possibly act out on these desires and hurt or kill another human?

-----------------------

You get the idea. I didn't feel like writing out a closing paragraph. Oh, DO NOT use what I wrote. I whipped this up in less than 10 minutes simply as a counterpoint to what you came up with simply as an example. If you need any more examples, search for posts made by Tilley and Mensen, they are both very good at arguing.

Whatever you do write about, I suggest sticking with being either for it or against it. Don't write it showing both sides, it will weaken your argument.

Something else you could argue about in a very similar fashion to what I wrote is how strip clubs are a necessity to cut down on sex offenders.