Tools

Guest Hal

Ok, I have a large amount of tools and a couple boxes; but, I need to know what I will need for work. I'll be a tech for a minimum of 6 months. So, from you experienced guys, what should I stock one of my large boxes with? What should I not worry about?

Thanks.

Wrenches, Pliers, screw drivers, hex keys, sockets, ratchets, drum brake tools, micrometers, pullers, tap and die set, hammers, pry bars, impact gun, air ratchet, die grinder, angle grinder, files, etc...

I'm sure there's more, I'm just listing off the top of my head. I am missing more specialized tools, but I'm sure I can pick those up as I go.

Depends on where you are going to work. Most dealerships stock alot of specialized tools so you don't need to buy everything, but from your list I'd suggest; Air hammer, QUALITY torx and inverted torx set, mini-pick set, cordless drill/impact, QUALITY drill bits, assortment of extensions, QUALITY tire inflator gauge, Snap-On flank drive plus wrench set, big set of channel locks, automotive stethoscope, QUALITY digital volt meter, wire strippers, wire crimpers. There are plenty more things. If you ever need any advice or anything I'd lend a hand.

Agreed. You can however have too little money.

Just get an account with Snap-On and give him like $20 a week then you'll start accumulating tools. I've spent $15k in the last 12 months. :rolleyes:

Just get an account with Snap-On and give him like $20 a week then you'll start accumulating tools. I've spent $15k in the last 12 months. :rolleyes:

:eek:

How much will you have for paid for the $15k in tools once its finally paid off at $20/week? $30k?

Wow, $300/month for tools, well hopefully you get paid well enough to justify them. Sounds like some badass tool collection though...

Well if you look at it monthly it's $325 b/c there are 4.3 weeks a month. My Snap-On guy loves me. lol I'm trying to get my amount down though so I can refinance it to get a lower payment and more tools.

Oh, and it's not really a ton of tools. I have about 3/5's of my box completely full so it's not a ton. My father-in-law has about $225,000 in tools. $30k just in the actualy toolbox. Part of the shop I'll take over in the next 5-10 years.

tool truck accounts are non-intrest type loans. i know all my tools i have easy $30k. if you think about it tools are an investment that makes you money, better tools you have/right tool for the job the faster it gets done and you move on to the next job.

my tools were from snap on, matco, cornwell. easy 6k sitting in the garage now in one of my 2 tool boxes.

also dont get all worried. when someone spends 15k at snap on these usually have a box thats 6-11k then some hand tools to fill it up. there boxs are damn expensive.

Granted it depends on what dealership you work at, but I know ford needs a special tool to calapse most of its brake calipers. I realize you said you will need speciality tools, but as common as brake jobs are, you should buy one asap.

Ty