Constant duty fuel pump for blown application ?

Guest kubicki

Guest kubicki
Is anyone here running a blown motor in a street vehicle? I've heard that some high pressure high flow pumps are more of a "race only" item that won't stand up to constant use driving on the street. Is there any validity to this? What pumps have you had success with in a street application? It looks like I need something capable of 27 PSI of pressure and nearly 100 GPH.

Guest kubicki

It's a shame Walbro doesn't make something with a little more flow. I just read a few reviews and most people think highly of them. Jeg's sells the Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump which looks right up my alley in terms of pressure and flow, especially when using a 12 volt supply of juice. I just don't know if it will hold up to constant use. Things that scare you are wording like you find on some Barry Grant pump specs:

"The BG 280 electric fuel pump is ideal for drag boat use and other short duration to 650HP. "

That pump is restricted to 20 PSI which is not enough anyway, but I see killing it easily in a week or 2 of street use.

My planned setup includes two pumps. One in-tank, on constantly. And another, larger, in-line pump hooked to a Hobb's switch setup to kick on at a certain boost reading.

I don't really know that much about your setup, but, something like this might work for you.

My planned setup includes two pumps. One in-tank, on constantly. And another, larger, in-line pump hooked to a Hobb's switch setup to kick on at a certain boost reading.

I don't really know that much about your setup, but, something like this might work for you.

Just curious as I do not know. But wouldn't the in-line pump be limited by the in-tank pump? So if you had, say a 255 in the tank, and a larger one in-line, it could still only pump 255 lph correct?

School me. :cool:

Just curious as I do not know. But wouldn't the in-line pump be limited by the in-tank pump? So if you had, say a 255 in the tank, and a larger one in-line, it could still only pump 255 lph correct?

School me. :cool:

If they were running off the same feed line, you would be correct. However, I will be running two seperate feed lines. :cool:

Guest kubicki

The car in question is a 1968 Firebird with a 383 ci Chevy smallblock with the following specs:

4 bolt main production Chevy block

forged stroker crank

forged h beam rods

SRP 9:1 pistons

AFR aluminum 210 cc race heads with 2.08 and 1.60 valves

Summit Racing K1107 cam

1.6 roller rockers

Performer RPM intake

ATI modified Holley 750 double pumper

ATI P600B Procharger @ 14 pounds boost (damn shame I didn't wait for the self-contained oil systems that came out later :( )

Hooker 1 7/8 long tube super comp headers

MSD 6BTM boost timing retard capable ignition

Mallory distributor

Will likely need an intercooler. At ragged edge with 9:1 pistons

The motor is patterned from the first ATI test mule motor. They made 425 HP on a smallblock 350 with the same cam and AFR 195 street heads (sans procharger.) I think they netted around 8 PSI to make 675 gross HP. I've got more cubes, more cam thanks to the 1.6 rockers and a lot nicer head with huge valves. Looking at 450 to 500 horses gross without the blower. I'm hoping for 10-12 PSI at the intake for a 70 - 85% gain on top of that. I've had the car forever (sold my last nice 5.0 to get it) but hope to break the motor in (sans blower of course!) within the next month or so. Let me see if I can dig up some pix...

Dual walbro's. If you need more than that step up to the dual bosch 420's. The bosch is not an intank pump though. Whatever you use go with a hobs switch to activate the second pump. IMHO I would not run more than two pumps in parallel, To complex. The bosch have an excellent record of reliability. Need more than the dual bosch. Its mechanical pump time.

that seems like alot of pressure for a carb. have you looked at BG fuel pump jegs part number 132-171006 or 132-171005? you might also want to think about a aeromotive fuel pump comtroler, its a safe way to make a race only type pump live on the street, its jegs part number is 027-16302

and i thought i was about the only one in columbus building a pro-touring/street fighter type car. PM me if you need some links to some good sites for first gens.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37650

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36722

Guest kubicki

that seems like alot of pressure for a carb. have you looked at BG fuel pump jegs part number 132-171006 or 132-171005? you might also want to think about a aeromotive fuel pump comtroler, its a safe way to make a race only type pump live on the street, its jegs part number is 027-16302

ATI uses the following formula to come with the needed pressure:

stock fuel pressure (7 or 8 PSI in this case) + boost pressure (I have a 14 lb pulley) * 1.20 for a 20% margin of safety. Assuming 8 and 14 you get over 26 PSI. One of those BG's is just over half of the flow I need. 100 GPH is close to 600 pounds per hour. I ran across the aeromotive controller a bit ago. I knew there was a catch when I saw the pump was only $300. I ran across the language "Billet pump controller (P/N 16302) recommended to keep fuel cool on long trips." on the Aeromotive site. :(

If they were running off the same feed line, you would be correct. However, I will be running two seperate feed lines. :cool:

Two of the pumps in series will outflow a single pump by far. When you decrease the pressure drop across a single pump it flows more. They are flow rated at a given pressure drop (ie 0psi inlet and 42psi outlet). Two in parallel work very very well.

Guest kubicki
Two of the pumps in series will outflow a single pump by far. When you decrease the pressure drop across a single pump it flows more. They are flow rated at a given pressure drop (ie 0psi inlet and 42psi outlet). Two in parallel work very very well.

So we are talking about 2 feeds from the tank, one for each pump. Where do you join the feeds together to get the full output? The Walbro's seem to be rated for constant duty and running them around 14 PSI each should give me enough flow pressure and flow.

Eh, I was half right. I forgot about the whole, lower pressure = more flow, thing. Thanks for the info. :cool:

I prefer single pumps. If the pump fails...you get stranded but don't run lean in a dual setup and go lean. The Bosch '044 is an internal pump pump and can be run external.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 255 walbro in tank in car and an Anderson Ford Motorsports big pump inline in series on my daily driven blown car. The AFM big pump btw is a walbro gsl392 external with all of the lines and fittings/harnesses already made up in a kit-