Front Plates on exotic cars?

nicktcfcsb

So..as I live in the communist town known as Gahanna I got a front plate no display violation today in the Viper (leaving Wendy's of course)...so that brings up the 97.00 question...what do you do when you have a say...exotic car and no real way to mount a plate w/o screwing up your car? I see lots of higher end cars with no plates...I dont even think dodge makes a bracket for the viper short of running some sheetmetal screws into the bumper. Should I contest this one?

Hurray again for Gahanna keeping the crime rates low

They just want the money, pay it and move on. Hopfully the officer that gave you the ticket was having a bad day. I don't have one on my car I have only got one, after I explained to the Highway patrol officer that he would lose in court if he wrote me for speed. SO he wrote me for a font plate. :) Sucks. I wouldn't put one on a Viper for sure!

get collector tags, not easy but if you can, then you only need one plate.

Actually I dont think that is accurate. I just got my collectors tags, and the woman said I am still required to display my front plate.

Which I dont do... I consider it a luxury tax. I have only been stopped for it once in the 7 years I have had the car though.

I agree with all the above, except the collectors bit. Not sure on that and would lean toward what Howard said with him just getting his.

Here's what I do. I keep the plate in the back pouch of the passengers seat. When I have been pulled over, I explain that I don't drive the car much, and have not had it long, and that there is no bracket to display without drilling and damaging the bumper. They are happy to see I have it with me and that I am trying. I have been let go every time. I also always pull over before they turn their lights on. Cops for some reason like this. I think it tells them " have nothing to hide and want to make this easy on you". It worked for me yesterday in fact.

Anyway, as for paying the ticket or fighting it. I'd say you are paying this one. I personally have no issue with paying a front plate fine. I don't agree with it. But, it's a luxury tax until we get the law changed. It would be interesting to see the outcome of taking it to court and explaining that it would damage the car. I would like to see what they see is an acceptable way of displaying it. I don't agree with it going in the windshield. I think that it could slide across the dash in a corner and mess up you driving by you reaching for it.

I'd like to hear more about other people's thoughts though.

Yeah he said the windsheild was also no good and I needed to (according to the law screw it into my front bumper)

This is what I was told in Texas. Of course, he never wrote me a ticket for that, just expired tags. My plate remains firmly secured in my windshield.

i've been pulled over for it once, and got let off. i then paid attention to every car i could (i was driving to cleveland) and noticed about 10% of cars did not have a front plate. i'll pay the fine and consider it a tax before i drill holes in the bumper.

Here's what I do. I keep the plate in the back pouch of the passengers seat. When I have been pulled over, I explain that I don't drive the car much, and have not had it long, and that there is no bracket to display without drilling and damaging the bumper.

That's where I keep mine too. I tell them the car came from Florida and didn't come with a front bracket and two cops have let me off. One got me for it though, along with speeding and tint :(

I would just pay the fine an get over it. If I owned a Viper I could care less. No way I would put a plate on the front of it. I am pretty sure Dodge dose make a braket for the Viper. One of the guys that live near me has a 90's model Viper and he has his front plate. It looks horrible, but he does have it on.

I don't think there is anyone is saying it couldn't be paid or shouldn't at that level of car.

The over all question was "should he contest it"? If you felt like putting in the time to work the damage to the bumper to display angle, then sure. Really, why not? It's your right. You know you already have to pay it. Why not see if you can explain why it's not mounted, but that you do keep it in the car. (I hope you do) Them adding $35 for court cost really isn't a big deal cost wise. It's local, so your wait/court time shouldn't be that long. I would take some pictures with you and show the bumper and that it would damage it. It's not like you are running some after market body kit on there. That's how it came. For $35, it might be fun to see what they say ans if the just drop the fine down to court cost. Comes down to; do you have more time or money to waste on this? my .02.

i've been oulle dover for this so many times....many, many warnings and quite a few tickets...the WoPo pulled me over last summer for it and he said to throw one up in the front dash for all he cared...since putting one up there i haven't heard about it since.

the bright side is he didn't catch you going 100+ mph :D

another stupid law and a bored cop. but hey, at least you can afford to drive a Viper. that poor bastard is just a city worker in a low paying job. how aspiring can that be :rolleyes:

I think those people who drive exotic cars can afford the $97, hence they don't care... :nod:

Thats what the cops think as well.

I got a no front plate ticket for my Camaro SS in Gahanna as well on I-270 a few years ago. I have Collector tags and I had it in the pass side windshield, cop didn't care...

Thats what the cops think as well.

I got a no front plate ticket for my Camaro SS in Gahanna as well on I-270 a few years ago. I have Collector tags and I had it in the pass side windshield, cop didn't care...

The windshield idea is so trashy I think. Nothing looks worse then a license plate cramed between your dash and windshield. Not to mention when it would come loose.

The one time I got pulled over for it I got a 70/55 ticket and he asked. I was like This is a new gm bumper and it didnt come with any way to mount my old bracket and I am waiting on the new style bracket to come in at the dealer and handed him the parts guy's card. He said ok make sure you install it when it comes in. Needless to say it never came in!

Guest Ponyfreak

Nick, search on http://forums.viperclub.org/ A couple places sell plate holders specifically made for the Viper that suction cup to the front bumper. Luckily they do not require a front plate in KY.... Best of luck.

I would fight it and then use that 95 to buy the $40 plate holder and keep from getting another ticket.

The windshield idea is so trashy I think. Nothing looks worse then a license plate cramed between your dash and windshield. Not to mention when it would come loose.

I guess you really never looked at my car then... It's just about impossible to come loose.

I'll take my chances of having it in the front windsheild verses no plate at all.

i've been pulled over for it once, and got let off. i then paid attention to every car i could (i was driving to cleveland) and noticed about 10% of cars did not have a front plate. i'll pay the fine and consider it a tax before i drill holes in the bumper.

Not everyone driving in Ohio is from Ohio. Indiana and Kentucky both don't require front plates. More or less, most people seem to run their front plate in Ohio.

I told the fucker at True2Form (half ass body shop in Dublin) NOT to drill holes for my front plate. They drilled the holes anyway, and even worse, the holes are crooked. So now I have a lop sided front plate that I'll be removing within a month anyway. True2Form ftl. Indiana ftw.