Looking at an AWD DSM

Rally Pat

There is a guy who lives near Sean (Crossle) who is selling a turbo Laser AWD. It has a few motor problems, but the guy said he knows how to fix it and could help me. He replaced the head gasket and the turbo (although I would get a 16g if I bought it), as well as the intercooler and the timing belt. Apparently there is a stuck lifter, but it can be fixed (so he says). The body has a rust hole on one of the front fenders and surface some other places, but other than that it seems pretty solid. Just wanted to know what you guys think about it.

There is a guy who lives near Sean (Crossle) who is selling a turbo Laser AWD. It has a few motor problems, but the guy said he knows how to fix it and could help me. He replaced the head gasket and the turbo (although I would get a 16g if I bought it), as well as the intercooler and the timing belt. Apparently there is a stuck lifter, but it can be fixed (so he says). The body has a rust hole on one of the front fenders and surface some other places, but other than that it seems pretty solid. Just wanted to know what you guys think about it.

i had a 95 dsm turbo...ill never go back..but how much?

I've had 3 dsm's. They're as reliable as their owners like any other car. Be wary of the timing belt if he's done it himself, too many cheap bastards own these cars and don't do things right.

More importantly, what year is the car?? If it's a 93 it most likely a 7 bolt motor and they can make power but just aren't worth the investment. If your not sure, get the exact manufacter date on the door sill and we can find out for sure if it's a 6 or 7 bolt.

Despite what people say they can be reliable cars and make decent power.

How much is he trying to sell it for? What year is it? There is a fairly sizeable DSM community in Columbus and even on this board so Im sure we'll be able to help you out somewhat.

Always remember one thing, and this is straight from the guy's are RRE, whatever you spend on the car you will spend about the same amount keeping it running. You buy a 1g for 3grand and think "gee i got a great deal". Eventually you will have to put at least that much into it to keep it running, and thats just with small basic mods.

As with all older cars, especially cars that were turbo, by the time you get them now, they need a lot of work. The problem is so many people buy these cars (just like the older supras) and don't perform the proper rebuilds before driving the shit out of them and/or increasing the hp which is dangerous if performed incorrectly on a brand new motor! Then they wonder why they're having problems. It only takes one little thing to go wrong on a motor, something as simple as a $2part, to eventually destroy the whole thing. Build it right, it'll last. I ran my old girl all weekend at this year's supra meet, 90mph w/ac on full blast, backroad driving, freeway sprints, you name it. Not a problem. And for those of you in the know, no blown head gaskets. :D Know you gotta spend the money on the boring stuff first, learn patience and the proper order of things.

Uh, ok, back on topic. Nobody here can really tell you if it's worth it if they don't know how much you're paying for it or if they can't take a look at it. If you're that concerned, I suggest just passing on it. Otherwise, have a reputable mechanic or friend take a look at if for you and then YOU decide how much it's worth to YOU. If he wants more, have patience and look elsewhere. You'll be alot happier in the end. Remember, it's not a shirt you can return to Walmart.

Long winded reply over.

theres a guy out on shull rd in new albany named don jordan that does A LOT of work on/with DSMs. im sure a few people here have dealt with him. i havent heard from him in a few years, but it seems like every summer (and maybe winter as well), he buys DSMs for cheap, fixes/replaces the motor, gets it back into good driveable condition, and sells them for a small profit

*IF* i was going to buy a 1g/2g dsm turbo, thats who i'd go to. hes always got somethin in his yard for sale

It only takes one little thing to go wrong on a motor, something as simple as a $2part, to eventually destroy the whole thing.

Amen. I followed along online a guy road racing a Laser. He had just gotten about a $10k motor together and first time out a $.25 grommet failed and drained all the coolant from the motor, he would of caught it normally but this happened while it was raining and didn't know he was out of coolant until the temp gauge told him!!!

Pat, check over the car really good before you buy it. I've seen some great running cars go for cheap and some not so great running for too much money.

Ive looked at the car. Its rough, but its cheap. Thats why I am considering it.

Its a six bolt motor, 4 bolt rear.

Edit: The other detail I left out is that the guy's other car is a 1G that supposedly puts down 400awhp.

pat, we need another dsm to roll with.. join us

and to you dsm haters, he has a daily driver so when his dsm breaks down(which it will) he wont be immoble. you can make a lot of cheap power with a dsm

Why do you get a discount on towing then?