Autox at OSU this weekend.....

Dr. Apex

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I'll likely see you in the morning. My son is only 4yrs old and I don't let him leave my side. He'll be bringing his camera too I'm sure. :)

I've taken him to other racing events/shows, but sometimes they are a little too loud and scare the small kids a bit. The GTO here fired up and just about launched him into hyperspace....and we were like 50ft away too :D but he was only 3yrs then :rolleyes:

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/60120933

We won't stay too long, but I'll try and get some good shots of folks, etc...

Matt, be there by 7am if you can, the 30 open slots have been filling fast.

Tim, it's at the OSU lot at the corner of 315 and Ackerman right next to the freeway. Racing starts around 9:30am. They have certain rules about kids depending on your kids age. You will at least need to be next to him only in the viewing area on the grass if he's under 12, 12-17 I think can roam around more without supervision. IF your not sure they will have a table setup on the grass usually near the mobile home that you can ask.

Just want to make sure your safe with your kid around all the cars. I'll be in the s2k in my sig and my Laser will be there also.

Hope to see you guys sunday.

I've heard the myths and legends about your old dodge....

We're in the same class. Time for me to crawl underneath a rock. :eek:

no myths no legends, just a junky green duster.

plus im no longer on hoosiers.

that's why I figured he'd like it. I'll bring a few chairs and some drinks/perhaps an umbrella for him. overall thought, he's four, he won't be there more than 1-2hrs in good form.

Tim, most of the cars there aren't too loud, but there are a few. It's gonna be a hot one, gonna need to bring the canopy for some shade.

I think it's $30. Just bring a good running car that can pass a basic tech. They have loaner helmets but if you have one of your own as long as it's "Snell" certified.

You need to be there by 7AM otherwise you might not get in as the open slots have been filling up fast.

I was out for the fourth heat, and rode with 78novaman in his Mercury. Was cool! Now I am working on my car (posting from garage computer) to have this crap ready for next event.

I didn't even realize that was him, I saw him running in my heat.

I made some great improvements though I really botched it on my last 2 runs, so I was stuck with a 44.1 best.

Guest 78novaman

Whew it was hot out there! Yeah, Pat (megaman) showed up while I was lining up in the grid, so I let him take a few rides with me. I just went slow the first time out and only ran a 59 sec lap, but I didn't hit any cones and found my lines. Second time Pat got a bit of a thrill ride as I carried WAY too much speed into turn 1 and I was going to plow straight through. Decided I didn't want to DNF so I cut the wheel hard and punched the gas, slid the ass over and took out about 4 cones lol. Next 3 laps were finding out the limit of the now very hot tires. Hit a bunch more cones, one time I goofed the turn into the box, almost pulled it off but got a DNF hitting the last cone of the box.

Once I learned how to take corners and not overpower the street tires 54.517 was my best time on the sixth lap, no cones(!). 4 sec time improvement I think is pretty good first time out.

Whew it was hot out there! Yeah, Pat (megaman) showed up while I was lining up in the grid, so I let him take a few rides with me. I just went slow the first time out and only ran a 59 sec lap, but I didn't hit any cones and found my lines. Second time Pat got a bit of a thrill ride as I carried WAY too much speed into turn 1 and I was going to plow straight through. Decided I didn't want to DNF so I cut the wheel hard and punched the gas, slid the ass over and took out about 4 cones lol. Next 3 laps were finding out the limit of the now very hot tires. Hit a bunch more cones, one time I goofed the turn into the box, almost pulled it off but got a DNF hitting the last cone of the box.

Once I learned how to take corners and not overpower the street tires 54.517 was my best time on the sixth lap, no cones(!). 4 sec time improvement I think is pretty good first time out.

That's a great improvement. DNF's and cones are a way of life in autocross. I saw you driving and you looked smooth the couple times I saw you, patience and smoothness is not easily learned in racing.

i dont like toyos, i felt really out of sinc with my car today. maybe its from missing the last event, or maybe just need to relearn these toyos. right now the car feels brand new to me.

I wasn't there, but I assume you were running Proxes RA-1's. These are no comparison to a Hoosier or Kumho. They are decent road race tires, but don't work for autocross all that well because they don't heat up fast enough. We ran them on our Neon when Bud was just starting as I didn't want to spend money on soft tires just to have him flat spot them. They are about 1.5 sec slower than good tires on a typical OVR course.

Gray, you obviously still did quite well winning your class. You still looked smooth to me but now that I think about it you may not of been carrying the speed you normally do.

I can't offer any advice on those tires but what Rich says makes perfect sense, road race tires will take a lot longer to heat up.

Rich, we had 6 laps and with yesterday's heat shouldn't those tires of been able to build some heat up??