Honda Shadow Spirit

Gergwheel1647545492

are you looking at getting a spirit 750 or 1100? They're pretty different bikes as far as riding experience goes. Either one will be significantly slower than your 6R.

What type of riding do you plan to do with it? A decent amount of highway, or just around town?

how long and far of rides do you think you'll take with it?

Well right now i can't ride mine for longer than 30 minutes at a time. I have had hip surgery twice as a teenager and now it just kills me to ride in that position. Basically i want something that is good for around town and good for longer trips, probably won't be doing any 4 hour drives with it, but would like to be able to stay on it for at least 2 hours.

do you plan on doing much 2-up riding with it as well?

As far as riding position goes, I'd recommend the 750 Shadow Aero, which has one of the most comfortable and natural riding positions around.

Aside from riding position though, you'll need to look at it. First, the spirit has a completely different look than the aero, which may change things for you. Also, the spirit has very close to a straight handlebar which will put you in a more forward riding position, which can't be great for that hip.

As far as engine size is concerned, the 750 will be plenty to get you around with, but it won't be fast. They also have shorter gearing in order to make up for the smaller motors, so they'll turn more RPM on the highway. Some people don't like the increased engine noise and vibration this causes, other's don't care...that's up to you, it's certainly not going to hurt the bike at all. Any newer cruiser of this size will have no problem riding just about anywhere in ohio and back. They wouldn't be my pick to ride from here to chicago, but that doesn't sound like that's what you're doing anyway.

Don't forget other aspects of ownership as well such as maintenance. The 750 Hondas need the valves adjusted at the first service which will run you about $300. The aero is shaft drive, the spirit chain, and they're both carbureted. The vulcan 900 is fuel injected as are all the suzuki 800s. I'm not a big fan of Yamaha still selling air-cooled motors, but if you don't care, the 650 v-star can be had for a song.

i have a shadow 750 ace deluxe

basically the same thing as a aero but chain drive.

your more than welcome to ceom take a rid eon it.

and from personal experince, the shadow spirit is uncomfortable to ride compared to my bike.

the shadow is more like sportster, and not very good for longs trips, the ace and aero are a nice relaxed position, and you can put some miles on them.

reliability wise, its a honds, these motors are bullit proof.

a friend at work has a 2001 shadow spirit with 40,000 miles, yes 40k, and has only changed the oil in it.

the shadow ace has the same motor.

dont know if you are refering to me working at a dealership or not, but no i dont, i work at the honda plant in east liberty. but like i said your more than welcome to come take a spin on my bike see if you like it.

i will tell you though if your concerned about comfort, after riding the spirit for more than 30 minutes youll not want one. they look more sporty, but they arent near as comfortable.

that was my first choice to get until i rode an ace/aero

Thanks for all the info. I will have to look around some more and see what i like the best. Do you work at a dealership chris? or just know alot about bikes?

I don't anymore, but did for a little over 5 years. Started riding when I was 16, so I've paid attention to bikes for a little bit now. I know it can be really intimidating looking for a new bike especially if you're not completely familiar with what's out there.

The best advice is to take some of your free time and go take a look at the bikes you think you might be interested in. Sit on them, get a brochure, look at the styling and prices, and then GO HOME before you buy something...haha. You'll want to sleep on the decision, and that's exactly what the people selling the bikes don't want you to do (trust me!).

Are you looking at new or used bikes? Do you have a specific price range you're looking to stay in? Are you hoping to trade your 6R or sell it outright?

edit: I don't mean to sound like I'm drilling you with questions so if you want me to lay off, you can just tell me.

Best case scenario i want to trade straight up for a 2000'ish shadow. they seem to vary in price anywhere from $2500 all the way up to $7500. I am looking for a used bike as I am only going to be spending the money i get from my bike if i do sell it outright, and i think i can probably only get $3000 for mine.

The more and more i look at pictures i like the looks of the aero and ACE but i just can't stand them when they have the windshield on them. that was my main reason for wanting the spirit.

you're probably about right price-wise for a 750 shadow of those years. Try to find one with maintenance history if possible. They're Hondas and will run forever, but they don't exactly like being abused either.

Remember that this is the time to sell your 6R if you're going to, check ebay and cycle trader to get an idea of current values.

trust me after you ride a either the shadow or spirit without a windshield then get on one with youll care less about the look and more about the comfort.

i really dont like the look of the windshield on mine, but i wont ever ride without it again. without the windshield i feel like a parachute when im going over 60 mph.

i have a shadow 1100, granted its an 89 model, they really didnt change much at all between then and now. I really like my bike, and would not hesitate to ride anywhere at any time. never had any major issues with it. I have to replace the fork seals once in a while, not a biggie though.

Ok so i just got off the phone with a guy that wants to trade. he has an 03 shadow ace deluxe 750, it has 10k miles. he is looking to get 3800 out of it, doesnt that seem a little low for an 03? let me know if you guys think it is a good deal or not, i would have to throw him some cash along with my bike.

ehh thats about right.

the bike has a value in blue book, probably around 4200 or so.

but they are worth what someone is willing to give them, and if the guy wants a sportbike instead, then who cares.

thats still a chain drive model.

low to average miles on it.

seems like a good deal on the bike to me. as long as it hasnt been laid down.

and dont take that well it fell over in the garage bull shit. cause everyone who says that is a liar. the bike was probably down during riding at some speed.

if you get it, enjoy the comfort and cheap insurance.