PC guru's, step in

TimTaylor751647545500

Bought a new Presario SR5034X a little over a week ago and I'm having a minor issue that is causing me some frustration.

I have an external 120 gig Western Digital HD which contains all of my media (pictures, music etc). This is an older IDE setup. I am attempting to connect the external via USB, but when the HD is powered up, the PC will not recognize it and I cannot access it.

I've tried multiple USB ports on the PC and all are giving me the same results. Also, I've taken the HD to work and on both my work PC's, I get the same results as well (quiet Shawn).

Any thoughts?

Bought a new Presario SR5034X a little over a week ago and I'm having a minor issue that is causing me some frustration.

I have an external 120 gig Western Digital HD which contains all of my media (pictures, music etc). This is an older IDE setup. I am attempting to connect the external via USB, but when the HD is powered up, the PC will not recognize it and I cannot access it.

I've tried multiple USB ports on the PC and all are giving me the same results. Also, I've taken the HD to work and on both my work PC's, I get the same results as well (quiet Shawn).

Any thoughts?

120 gig Western Digital HD

you answered your own question....pos...buy a new one

Can you take out the hard drive out of the USB encasement? If you can then hook it up to an IDE port in your computer. If it works then it is the USB encasement that doesn't work. Kinda simple, go find a screwdriver.

See working on computers is much better then cars. All you need is a screwdriver and screws mainly =)

Guest 78novaman

Does it recognize the drive at all when plugged in? Is this just the hard drive out of your old computer and put into an external drive case? Just remove it from the enclosure and install it inside your new computer.

If you are not a computer guru I should be able to get it all working and back up your data for a small fee. PM me if interested.

Pulled the HD from the external case and plugged the IDE slave connection into the HD and booted the PC. BIOS stating that the data on the HD would need to be backed up due to immanent failure, but still couldn't access it.

Going to give it to my brother to see if he can retrieve the files for me.

Thanks for the free advice to those that offered it.

Pulled the HD from the external case and plugged the IDE slave connection into the HD and booted the PC. BIOS stating that the data on the HD would need to be backed up due to immanent failure, but still couldn't access it.

Going to give it to my brother to see if he can retrieve the files for me.

Thanks for the free advice to those that offered it.

You changed the jumper on the hard drive to go into slave mode right?

If you can get it to load windows and view the directories and files then I can get you a program. It is a slow program but it will try its hardest to pull data off it and put it on another hard drive. I use it on hard drives I have that have bad sectors. It works pretty well.

Just let me know.

Out of curiosity did you check Western Digital's website for any device drivers? Try another computer perhaps to see if it will recognize it?

Edit: Can you get the model number off of the external drive?

Crap I missed that reply. Unless your willing to spend 1000$ + on data recover try this.

Tim take the drive (I'm serious here). Put it about 18-24inches in the air above a table. Put the circuit board facing down. Drop it. then try and see if it spins up. Another thing you can try is finding a drive of the exact same model and remove the controller circuit from it and put it on your drive.