TV Buying Advise

RelliK

So I have the opportunity to get the following television for $600 as my girlfriends friend is moving away and she does not have the means to take this with her.

http://www.digitalvideoforless.com/55pp9502-s.htm

I do not know much about HDTV formats 480p/720p/1080i/1080p.

From what I have read most television HDTV broadcasts are still done in the 1080i format...

Just wanting to know if this TV is worth that and if it will be viable for the next few years in terms of display quality.

600$ is to much for that tv. 720p is the standard you would buy today. If you look you can get 42-46inch lcd's now for 1000.

I would compare that tv to ones on ebay. If your not into hd heavy yet it would be fine. I have a tv that is still 1080i and still enjoy it though i do wish i had 720p for gaming.

I would just pay less for that tv. Not trying to sound like superhawk but 400$ is about the max i would go.

umm, CRT and no built in HD, have to buy a separate box? Pass....unless you can't afford anything better. Even then, brand new tv's of that style are tops $800, maybe more like $500 - $600

When that TV came out it easlly was 1500-2000. But it sure the hell anit worth 600 now.

Ahh, people who haven't actually been in the market for one of those TV's.

Don't compare your tiny ass 46" TV with a 55".

I bought my 57" Sony CRT a few months ago for $550. Was in awesome shape, DVI connection (but who cares, I switch everything through my stereo receivor), and it looks really good. IMO it looks better than my g/f's Sony Wega 50" LCD Projection on HD content, but not quite as good on analog content.

Just because you can buy a new 50" for $700-800 doesn't mean you can buy a 55" for that. And there is nothing wrong with CRT's if space isn't an issue (though they are crazy heavy).

As far as this TV goes, my two big complaints are:

- It's a Phillips. Not a brand I would buy because of two many issues I've seen with them first hand.

- Looking at the inputs, it has two component inputs, but no DVI/HDMI. Not to say there is anything wrong with component inputs, but most DVD players won't upconvert through component. That said, don't buy into the component vs. HDMI for video quality (assuming same resolution, such as out of a cable box), as I have seen first hand more than once where the component video looked BETTER. Every TV is different.

Comparing to the deal I got (straight E-bay purchase), being 2" smaller, no DVI/HDMI, and a lower brand, if I were offering cash, it would be in the $450 range.