2011 El Camino?

Tshensley

http://www.pickuptruck.com/IMAGES/2011/chevrolet/elcamino/hans3.jpg

Following on the success of its Pontiac GTO export deal to the US, GM's Aussie division Holden earlier this year struck a deal to export sporty versions of its new VE Commodore sedans to the States, badged as the Pontiac G8.

Now, with the Ute, or pickup truck, version of the VE Commodore due to be released in Australia in just over one month's time, we have produced a computer illustration of what a Chevy version might look like.

There have been confirmed reports that GM is interested in this vehicle and, given that the car is sold in Australia in a sporty V8 guise, it's possible that it might provide GM the opportunity to dust off the legendary El Camino nameplate. Wheels magazine reported the following in its June issue: "Ever since GM's global product boss Bob Lutz became interested in rebadging Holdens for North America, there has been speculation – much of it from Lutz himself – that the Ute could work as a reborn Chevrolet El Camino. As recently as February, outgoing Holden MD Denny Mooney was talking up the Ute export program. "I can tell you we've been working on that for over a year (and) the Ute would be unique in the US. It has a fair likelihood (of happening)."

From the A-pillar forward the ute is a dead ringer for the Commodore sedan, but aside form the front doors the rest of the car's panels will be unique pressings. The underpinnings, however, are firmly Commodore-based, meaning a 2915mm wheelbase, strut front suspension, and multi-link rear suspension.

Whereas in Australia the Ute spans everything from a basic V6 workhorse at the lower end of the range, right through to a V8-powered SS sports version, any future El Camino would almost certainly be based on the latter.

That means power from a 362-hp 6.0-liter V8, mated to either a six-speed manual or a six-speed auto. Elsewhere, the package would include leather trim, 19" or 20" alloy wheels, and quad exhaust pipes. With an expected curb weight of around 3,682-lbs this will be one rapid load hauler.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2011/chevrolet/elcamino/elcaminohans.html

Hopefully GM won't make the mistake of producing (importing in this case) a car that will be loved only by people who cant afford it....again.

(lots of people loved the f body, but only 6% of them could buy one new :( )

I love the Utes, and pretty much the whole holden line....but I cant afford them.

My grandpa had an old el camino....and he was bald!! But no really, i remember driving it back when I was 14/15, he'd take me out in on some old country roads and let me have a blast, auto, v8, oh man, them were the days.

My grandpa had an old el camino....and he was bald!! But no really, i remember driving it back when I was 14/15, he'd take me out in on some old country roads and let me have a blast, auto, v8, oh man, them were the days.

that was like 6yrs ago for you lol... a fuckin decade for me. I feel old :(

that was like 6yrs ago for you lol... a fuckin decade for me. I feel old :(

damn, must've been younger than that, because he passed away in 2002, hmm, maybe i was 10, that's why sliding around on those gravel roads was so awesome, anyways, it was awhile ago

Guest Wunna Dig Race
You mean Mullet owners? how many of those can afford a 40k car?

YEA i have a mullet(but Im bald) I dont have a wife to hit either..... hahahaha but I would love to get one of those and mod it up.......

What I was getting at was, How many Mullet owners can afford a $40k car?

How many different ways can this question be posted?

The front looks nice, if they'd do some design tweaks from the B-pillar back it would be a nice looking vehicle.