buddy needs an engine rebuilt

evan9381

please move this if its in the wrong section

my supervisor at work has a 1995 honda passport, v6, 4wd, that hes having some motor troubles with. i guess his valve cover leaks, it has a ticking noise, and a few other issues.

he hasnt had it running since some time last year, but he has been wanting to get it fixed so he can stop driving his tercel and start doing some off roading again.

he went on ebay a couple months ago and bought an engine rebuild kit, which IIRC from seeing the link, had pistons, bearings, gaskets, oil pump, water pump, timing belt, etc etc. he had someone who was going to rebuild it for him, but he wants him to pull the engine himself, and take him the engine

he does not have the time or tools to do this, so he is looking for someone who is able to do this on the side. he said time is not really a concern, so if it takes a few weeks to a month or so, its not an issue...price is though. he's trying to get some estimates now...he said he can have the car towed somewhere, engine will most likely need to be dropped, motor rebuilt, and reinstalled

i know someone is looking for some side work for some extra $$. let me know what you would charge for something like this and ill pass it along

he said he looked on craigslist and called a couple people, but they want to charge like actual shop time fees, and i guess the book time (from what he said) is 33 hours...he said one place wanted to charge him like 2500$, and hes waiting on a call back from the other

I've done several of these. It probable takes every bit of the book time it calls for to do it. It's a pretty big job and one of the more difficult engine swaps you'll do. It's also very easy to get the wrong used parts from the local bone yards. So make sure all the parts are correct before you get started.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-1997-3-2L-HONDA-PASSPORT-6VD1-SOHC-24V-Engine-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33620QQihZ017QQitemZ270123881698QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

i believe this is basically the kit he got. im sure he will have to buy some other things (fluids, etc), but thats not an issue.

Guest Removed

your looking 33 hours plus machine work...thats not cheap. even on the side. but 33hours is removing the engine, rebuilding it and reinstalling it.

why is he wanting too rebuild the engine if the valve covers leak?

even still you might find someone too do it for $1500 or so.but thats is a lot of work!

i dont think its just the valve covers leaking. from what i recall, its got a shitload of miles on it. i tried to talk him into just getting a used low mileage engine, but he said no and went and bought the kit.

he was saying he had a buddy who would do it all for 2-300$ (which im not expecting anyone here to do it for, so dont get the idea), but he wanted him to bring the engine to him. i asked him if he told his buddy what all was included, as far as the engine work, and he said he did. im thinking either his buddy is a) a REALLY nice friend b) an idiot or c) doesnt know WTF hes doing