WOOHOO my house is done

Akula

I gotta move all my crap in now but finally Schumacher finished it. Only 2 months ahead of schedule.

I am on the road like mad for the next few weeks, London for a week, Seattle for a week, then home for a week. I only get to spend one night in it and then blast to the airport. Holy crap are there like 50 bazillion little things that need done.

Congrats, you never hear of construction getting done ahead of schedule.

Just out of curiousity, was it more expensive to build than it was to just buy the house you wanted? I have been kicking around te idea of building rather than buying an already built house, and was just curious if it was more than you had thought.

Just out of curiousity, was it more expensive to build than it was to just buy the house you wanted? I have been kicking around te idea of building rather than buying an already built house, and was just curious if it was more than you had thought.

Generally, it's cheaper to build. You're not buying someones equity when building a house. Though it depends on location too.

can go either way. generally it should be a little cheaper since the house is new and there's no established market in a new build area....well sorta not....

anyway, we're looking at a home from the same builder as above and a fully decked out loaded up pimped out house is way cheaper...now we're scoping out lots and that will determine misc. costs if utilities and infrastructure is needed.

I still have no doubt in the end it will be cheaper and on my own 2-4 acres of land with a home exactly how we want it. :cool:

2-4 acres of land with a home exactly how we want it. :cool:

Lucky fucker. Out here, that land alone would be $700,000-$1,200,000. Add a ~$200,000 house and you have Utah fucking real estate prices.

I'm building on a goddam postage stamp. But luckily, the real estate prices keep the welfare/low life/government feeding fuckers out of the communities.

Out of date photo blog http://scubaforlife.googlepages.com/thenewhouse

I was given 3 acres of land so building was the only option. However I will say Schumacher was only $1700 over budget due to the septic system needing additional equipment but that was out of their control. I built the homestead with sunroom, bonus room and three car garage.

Overall, the headaches I had with them were small and I would build with them again.

Yeah around here building is really about the same as buying except for one simple thing which was enough for my wife and I to build a house. "You don't have to pay $200K+ for some house built in the early 1900's with old tech in every part of it." When you build a home you get alot of headaches, but not nearly as many as you'd have remodeling an older one. especially if you don't like that sort of work. I have a very deep hate for anything resembling construction since I grew up with parents that did that during my entire home life.

I did however install my own driveway, water line, voice/data/video/audio wiring, and am about to doze the place and plant grass, but thats all fun work involving heavy equipment:-)

BTW where did you guys build? I got 5 acres up north near Marengo. Looks like its going to be a city up there very soon. Alot of houses and a few developments going in this summer.

Evan

Where are you at? Granville lots in prime spots are maybe $60-$150k and I'm talking nice ones. That will get you 2-4 acres.

Lucky fucker. Out here, that land alone would be $700,000-$1,200,000. Add a ~$200,000 house and you have Utah fucking real estate prices.

I'm building on a goddam postage stamp. But luckily, the real estate prices keep the welfare/low life/government feeding fuckers out of the communities.

Where are you at? Granville lots in prime spots are maybe $60-$150k and I'm talking nice ones. That will get you 2-4 acres.

Utah... Or are you asking more specifically where I live?

Out here, all land is bought up by developers, who then split it up just big enough to put a house on and a tiny back yard. It sucks. There is limited access to the major cities of business, so finding cheap land means traveling an hour away, which sucks again cause there is really only one major highway that travels through the part of Utah that I live. So, it becomes a six of one, half dozen of the other problem to figure out if you want to live close and pay more, or live far away, pay less, but spend a shit ton more in gas money yearly.

For example on real estate price differences.

My parents own a 2500ft house on 6 acres. Its worth ~$250,000 where they live.

In Utah here, that same house and land would easily crest the $1,800,000 mark.

They get charged $1000 (by me) if they go over time. You have to realize they don't do appliances or landscaping, this is a build on your site type situation. My SQ FT numbers came back and I paid $76.67/finished sq foot.

I have been in London since the day after I moved in but my wife is loving it.

Some unique features include 3 car garage with 14 foot ceilings (lift much?), 10 foot downstairs, 42" cabinets in the kitchen, 10 foot basement height, laundry is off the master suite (you take your clothes off in your room, you put them on in your room heck I now wash them there). I am really impressed with the builder and I especially like the way I could change things to make them my way.

• 2 weeks later...

that's right on with our numbers. The Schumacher homes we spec'd out were 3100-4300sq ft. and they were at about $77 sq.ft. fully loaded and decked out. right now we're still looking at the land. we may go with the larger home if we get the right property plot.

They get charged $1000 (by me) if they go over time. You have to realize they don't do appliances or landscaping, this is a build on your site type situation. My SQ FT numbers came back and I paid $76.67/finished sq foot.

I have been in London since the day after I moved in but my wife is loving it.

Some unique features include 3 car garage with 14 foot ceilings (lift much?), 10 foot downstairs, 42" cabinets in the kitchen, 10 foot basement height, laundry is off the master suite (you take your clothes off in your room, you put them on in your room heck I now wash them there). I am really impressed with the builder and I especially like the way I could change things to make them my way.