Power boat folks - READ

nurkvinny

Give me the goods and bads that you can see about this boat -

http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/378171683.html

Tell me what I should look for when I go look at it.

I want something to ski with, tube with. fish occassionally, go medium fast, and use to sleep all night (2 people) if the need arises.

THANKS

Guest 614Streets

Take a look at the fuel lines , look for excess corrosion on alpha drive specifically the corrsion plates bolted to the alpha unit , if they are original its a sign of poor maintainence , check for any damage to the skeg , check the control box operation can put in foward without engine running and feel for engagement by rotating prop etc do this also for reverse and nuetral , ask if the exhaust bellows have ever been replaced , check for oil leaks , check the transom area for cracks.

5500 is a fairer price IMO.

The Bad:

~Trim gauge does not function properly, it does not read the positioning of the trim. THE TRIM DOES WORK CORRECTLY, IT IS JUST THE INDICATOR NOT WORKING.

Check for damage of corrosion around the the trim limit switches. Make sure that both sides work. You DO NOT want to have to replace those. I have done that job before, it sucks. If you have a marina do it, the job is about $1200.

I would offer 6000 for it. Its alot of boat for the money. I have been around boats for many years. I would pick it up. Take into serious consideration what the above two have mentioned. If they are serious about selling it see if you can take it on the water. Best way to get a feel for a boat. Dont just trailer drive it.

Check all the rubber boots around the outdrive, some of them are hard to get to, but it is worth twisting your wrist to check them. Some of them can be VERY expensive to replace.

Also check the wood in the bilge, make sure there are no soft areas in the runners, replacing runners is not fun.

Also see if it comes with a cover, if not there is another $400 that you could neogiate with him.

Put it in the water before buying, check for leaks around the back. The non working trim guage isn't really a problem. Certainly looks nice though.

I'd like to mention that surge brakes on the trailer suck balls, go electric if you can. Either way, if you are looking for a boat, that looks like a good find.

That motor is at the limit of that outdrive, make sure it is in working order.

That trim gauge issue is an extrememly common problem with Alpha 1's (my gauge doesn't work right either).

Sucks it only has a single axle trailer; it will be fine, but that's approaching the limit of a single axle.

If I was in the market for a boat of that price range, I'd look at it if it wasn't a cuddy cabin.