F'in Poly locks , need advise

Guest 614Streets

Guest 614Streets

Alright well I went out to my shop today to dick around with the money loving whore nova and I noticed the passenger bank was putting out smoke then eventually spritzing out oil from the turndown under the car. Sigh.

So I take off the valve cover for 2-4-6-8 and notice the poly locknut on #2 intake had loosened and allowed the lifter and push rod to pop out of the bore and out of the guideplate. I checked the push rod and lifter no damage was done and reasembled everything but without thinking about it to much I have alot on my mind how about some second opinions...

#1 Have you had problems with poly lock nuts coming loose?

#2 Why with just the intake valve inoperable did the engine draw excessive oil into the combustion and exhaust area? I dont feel like thinking about it , lazy :)

Pic from today

http://img2.putfile.com/main/7/20223232654.jpg

How are you tightening them down?

The first thing I would do is replace the entire set. When you tighten them down, tighten the allen first, then turn the allen and the nut together a small amount.

Rob

Guest 614Streets
you did check the lifter? or you checked the rocker?

Yeah lifter poped out of bore , I dont drive the car yet I just go run it and drive it out of the shop etc . Rocker , lifter , cam lobe , and pushrod looked fine

with the intake not being open it sucks air past the rings, thats where your oil came from. i never had any problem with those type of rockers.

Thats what I thought but I actually didnt think about it much

How are you tightening them down?

The first thing I would do is replace the entire set. When you tighten them down, tighten the allen first, then turn the allen and the nut together a small amount.

Rob

Tighten em down when I set the lash back in 2006 going 3/4 past zero lash with a allen and a 5/8" box wrench , Im guessing I didnt cinch this one down (allen) enough , but kinda odd Im real tedeous about my work.

So do you say you go to preload and then say 1/8" of a turn you turn both similtaniously?