Internet blocking software

Buck531

What's a good software/whatever out there that'll let me block certain sites on a PC? I'm building a PC for my 13 year old son and I'd like to block the sites out that I don't think he should get to.

I know there's some software out there that'll let me look at his screen and see what he's doing from mine. I'd like that as well (if it's free :)).

Ive got a nice little keystroker program that Ive used for a long long time that will work for you. It logs all keystrokes on what windows were up at the time, programs launched and every website that was visited.

Been used quite a few times to get some people fired and get kids kicked out of classes. Its great :D

As for web blocking.. you could always set the content advisor from tools options under IE. Not sure how well it works though honestly

Buck, I would advise picking up a new router or firewall that will allow content and specific site blocking. They can be had for pretty cheap now on lots of "home" marketed models. Most of the software-based solutions can be easily overridden or worked around with a quick Google search, even if the user only has a limited account.

As far as free monitoring, pick up VNC. http://www.realvnc.com - for your purposes, when you connect with the client, make sure you're not sending pointer and keyboard events. VNC is not totally silent, it has a small icon in the taskbar, but it's proven as hell.

Buck, I would advise picking up a new router or firewall that will allow content and specific site blocking. They can be had for pretty cheap now on lots of "home" marketed models. Most of the software-based solutions can be easily overridden or worked around with a quick Google search, even if the user only has a limited account.

As far as free monitoring, pick up VNC. http://www.realvnc.com - for your purposes, when you connect with the client, make sure you're not sending pointer and keyboard events. VNC is not totally silent, it has a small icon in the taskbar, but it's proven as hell.

True. I thought about my router. Which does have something like that built in. I guess I'll look a little more into that.

As for VNC. I know how it works, I used it every day at work. We have it installed on EVERY branch PC in the bank. I've remoted into peoples PC's by accident and watch the tellers deposit thousands of dollars from customers.

VNC would be a good choice if I was watching him 24/7. I'd like to get something that'll block out anything with XXX or whatever in the URL if possible... or just have it filter the content before it hits the site and pops up a message on the monitor that say's "No masturbating for YOU!" :)

AOL.

Set his account up as a child.

Done.

:D

KillJoy

PS - This can still be gotten around :(

Connect to ISP, use any other browser and AOL is bypassed. You need something to proxy all transmission and clear the database of bad sites.

why don't you just let the kid polish his flesh knob in peace? buy him a couple playboys and let him wank in privacy so you don't get a nasty surprise one day when he sneaks onto your computer to fire off some knuckle children

EDIT: then again, i often forget the kind of shit Linn posts up on here exists in abundance on the internet, so maybe that shit isn't such a bad idea.