tranny issue. help!!

xTHExBOSSx46

i drive a 94 katana 600. its always run strong and seemingly like it should but for some reason always had a problem going into 2nd at higher rpms. anything over 5k. it would either shift only into neutral and i would have to shift again after looking like a tool missing and reving high or it would just go in rough. not grinding but just always kinda hard to get into. so i never really ran it hard or got to have fun with it. and now today i shift into 2nd and it goes in fine but if i give it a good amount of gas it clunks real hard then feels like it catches and then goes. almost like some teeth are missing and the gear is just spinning not wanting to catch but finally does. its perfectly fine to drive nicely if im just cruzing along but if i give it any kind of gas it spins real hard and clunks. only does it in second. does anyone have any advice or sugestions as to what it specificaly might be or am i right assuming the teeth finally broke off. and if it needs a rebuild does anyone recomend someone and roughly how much would it cost cause i dont even think the bike is worth more then 1k. Thanks a lot

Sounds like a bent shift shaft and/or a bad shift fork . Its a very common problem with the Hayabusa and pretty much any Suzuki . The only way to fix is pulling the motor and putting in new shift shafts and shift forks . To prevent it from ever happening again you will need to get second gear back cut on the transmission .

Considering the bike and the cost to have someone pull the motor and do the work plus the parts . Its probably cheaper to buy a good used motor or just live with it .

it would either shift only into neutral and i would have to shift again after looking like a tool missing and reving high

When I shifted without the clutch from 1st to 2nd it would almost always go into neutral so I finally started upshifting with the clutch from 1st to 2nd then without the clutch for the rest.

When I shifted without the clutch from 1st to 2nd it would almost always go into neutral so I finally started upshifting with the clutch from 1st to 2nd then without the clutch for the rest.

+1, my bike is the same, use the clutch for 1-2, and not elsewhere.

Guest Wunna Dig Race
Second gear may be cracked. It is a common problem on the Katanas.

Yea its a common problem on Katanas both of mine had that problem when I sold them

ill look into it. i tightened the chain last season cause it was too lose and its ran just fine till now. i could imagine it getting loser or stretched but i dont think it could get any tighter on its own. ill look at it though. thanks

ALSO. bike is for sale in the corral if anyone is interested.