Should Moto GP be concearned?

Cleaner

I think it is best to agree to disagree. I totally agree that some things are very old in terms of technology. Hell, they still use some old school technology in F1. The point is that there are pluses to having NASCAR around.

I understand that the solid rear axle is old technology. Sure compared to the independent rear wheel set-ups developed and used in a LOT of cars out there. However, the ability to change rear end gearing, to adjust and develop it for oval racing isn't really a cost effective thing to have done or developed. The solid rear end allows for better tuning and traction on oval surfaces than that of a road course where independent suspension can be better used like in the Vette or Audis, etc found in the Lemans series and others.

Point to that is that we still use solid rear axles in many vehicles and it allows us to develop and learn. It's a very small point and maybe not a good one, but you get the idea. Braking rotors and technology found in these cars are also important, but get overlooked.

Safety development is found in these cars that can relate to the typical driver we all use.

The engine is also older technology to a degree, but again, the technology allows us to go into things that can be useful in developing better engine technologies and metals, etc.

The deal is that yes, it isn't as amazing a technology as say F1, but it isn't old school and not used anywhere. Things do trickle down into everyday cars and things learned can be useful in everyday technology.

It just typically comes down to things where people think it is all hillbilly and mullets about NASCAR. That's cool, but there is a deeper amount of things that are found within the confines of a team and how they develop technology. I think you could agree that point.

I also have some very close personal friends associated with road race car series and have been professional drivers. Yes, the technology found in the Audi Diesel Le Mans car is more advanced than NASCAR, but they also have been using the same technology for years in many facets of their sport. It's just that cooler technology exists in those types of series, but could be argued that many things never see the light of day in our world.

Every part of racing has benefits for everyday life in the automotive arena. Drag Racing is very old technology, as well, but many cool things exist within it that can be used and developed for application in today's machines. However, when's the last time you saw a dry sump system utilized in a car for everyday use?

I think the bottom line to be looked at is fuel and alternate power supplies, safety and of course, advancement in composites and components that are easy to apply to everyday things. I think what Chevy and Audi are doing in the LeMans series is great for fuel alternatives. I think NASCAR helps a lot in terms of safety for everyday cars and trucks we use. I also think they both are legitimate series and connect close to the trickling down effect than other series do.

The people associated with these teams and such are solid engineers and technicians that have some special skills that cannot be tagged as antiquated or old school. However, in terms of ranking them technologically, NASCAR is going to be closer to the bottom.

My point was towards that of Chris and others who really don't know what really is going on and generalize their comments w/o real hand knowledge or understanding. It's like saying MX bikes are old technology and that we get more from Sportbikes. They are very different technologies and both require different forms of technology. However, MotoGP gets credited with the cooler technology factors rather than higher end MX racing does. But, in the end, each has brought us great technology that has been useful in our lives. They also have given each other technology to help in each other's series and technology...